Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

On 25/09/2021 at 16:42, thunderball said:

I think they are all going to have to get used to that from now on, we have a very talented bench now and some real game changers wanting to get on, there’s no shame in it. I think Smith is going to play his games with 14 players from now on.

No problem with that. 14 has been a magic number for Villa in the past (1981)😀

Although the opportunities have not fallen evenly to the front two, it will come. I have been pleasantly surprised about his work rate, he is not just lurking awaiting a chance to spring into life.

one of the benefits of playing both Ollie & Ings is that we are forming a really effective press at the top of the pitch. Very apparent at Old Trafford and a key aspect of our recent improved form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

Appreciate his off the ball work, but he is not getting into any goal scoring positions :

image.thumb.png.d6072f5bf595516ee038d6e1e1a26393.png

Not sure what the problem is. Watkins is getting 5x better chances per 90 than Ings. It can’t be just down to luck.

ye agrred, he does need to be getting in better goal scoring positions, but tbh, i dont know what the issue is, becuase i have seen him many times in "positions where if the ball got to him, he would have a chance to shoot/score".

Maybe its partly that he isnt getting forward enough, and partly that he isnt being provided with the required balls/passes enough, i have noticed that he doesnt seem to be passed to or looked for much in and around the box, maybe Deano is telling him to play more left and/or deep?

I noticed against manaure, when watkins got that great ball out wide on the left and cut in, Ings was open and free, but Watkins chose to shoot with at best a half chance, rather than try and pass to him.

I dunno, i think there is more to it than just "Ings needs to be in scoring positions more".

Edited by MaVilla

3 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

Appreciate his off the ball work, but he is not getting into any goal scoring positions :

Not sure what the problem is. Watkins is getting 5x better chances per 90 than Ings. It can’t be just down to luck.

Watkins is faster which means he's more likely to be on the end of through balls and the like. 

There have been two or three occasions where a simple lay off would leave Ings with a free shot at goal but he has been missed.

Off that top of my head I can think of Watkins against Man U and Ramsey against Everton where he was in a great position for the ball...but his stats will be low because he didn't get it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Watkins is faster which means he's more likely to be on the end of through balls and the like. 

Ings has just said that he reckons he is faster over the first 10 yards but Watkins would pip him in a 100 m race

15 hours ago, MaVilla said:

ye agrred, he does need to be getting in better goal scoring positions, but tbh, i dont know what the issue is, becuase i have seen him many times in "positions where if the ball got to him, he would have a chance to shoot/score".

Maybe its partly that he isnt getting forward enough, and partly that he isnt being provided with the required balls/passes enough, i have noticed that he doesnt seem to be passed to or looked for much in and around the box, maybe Deano is telling him to play more left and/or deep?

I noticed against manaure, when watkins got that great ball out wide on the left and cut in, Ings was open and free, but Watkins chose to shoot with at best a half chance, rather than try and pass to him.

I dunno, i think there is more to it than just "Ings needs to be in scoring positions more".

Some folks on here were discussing him playing more of a false nine role, which tbh I was against, but if that is how we are going to be playing him (deeper), then he will naturally get fewer goal scoring opportunities.

I'm not worried at all, and his assist for Bailey's goal proves he has more in his locker than just goal poaching in the penalty area.  

Some even said he was like a Darren Bent. Scores goals but not much else.  Nothing could be further from the truth. He is a very talented all round player. If you watched him at Southampton you’d know this. 

Lack of goals for either of them is no problem as long as we’re winning games. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Ings has just said that he reckons he is faster over the first 10 yards but Watkins would pip him in a 100 m race

He did say that, but from what I’ve seen, Watkins is faster over both?

I think there are probably a few explanations for this xG difference:

• Watkins has amazing movement and pace. We all know he is brilliant at getting on the end of stuff, but not a gifted finisher.
  • Ings is more tightly marked, because he is known as the elite finisher in the side.
  • Very small sample size of games - this is likely the key issue. We’ve just played a run of hard fixtures, it’s a tiny number of games, the true picture will take a while to become apparent in the stats.
  • Ings still learning his place in this side. Despite the change in shape, Watkins is more familiar with his teammates, and knows what kinds of pass to expect, and they know what runs he makes.
  • Ings just being unlucky not to receive the ball when he is in a good position.

I do think Watkins is unusually good at getting into goal scoring positions, and it will always be a feature of his game - a little bit like Andy Cole, who was always known as a wasteful finisher but still scored loads of goals.

Ings thankfully is showing enough work rate in the press and build up play to justify his selection at the moment. Hopefully the goals will come.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Hopefully this fires him up for the next month to make the next squad 

Do we really think it is performance that gets you an England call up at the moment? I would argue that Toney would be a better inclusion that Watkins on current/recent form and injuries, despite being happy for Ollie. 

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Do we really think it is performance that gets you an England call up at the moment? I would argue that Toney would be a better inclusion that Watkins on current/recent form and injuries, despite being happy for Ollie. 

This is a fair comment, although I'd probably have taken Ings over both of them. I've thought Ings has been better than Watkins in the games he's played for us.

On 28/09/2021 at 19:10, Czarnikjak said:

Ings is a lethal finisher and Watkins isn't. 

Ings has played 6 games for not only a new side for him, but a side that's completely restructured it's attack, and has 2 goals and 2 assists.

The cohesion with his teammates will build and he'll score more frequently. It's way to early to be worried at all. 

3 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Ings has played 6 games for not only a new side for him, but a side that's completely restructured it's attack, and has 2 goals and 2 assists.

The cohesion with his teammates will build and he'll score more frequently. It's way to early to be worried at all. 

Better numbers than the great Jack Grealish ;)

edit: that comment and wink was tongue in cheek as I’ve spent all bloody day on the Jack Grealish thread 🤦🏽‍♂️

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â