Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

He's has much better work rate than I realised, and much quicker feet as well. On top of that, he seems to have the footballing intelligence to know what the best option is in nearly all situations. Great player.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

Yes I knew he was a great finisher but he's a much better footballer than I'd appreciated too. 

Got very unlucky with his injuries at Liverpool, he could have been a big player there for years. 

Very astute.

They really liked him at Liverpool, a lot of fans still appreciate him

Noticed a few occasions where he has been open to finish off a move and the ball hasn't quite found its way to him / wasn't passed to - more to come from Ings for sure as other players get used to him more, and that is seriously exciting after his truly impressive start with us - great player

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KentVillan said:

He's a slightly different player from what I thought we were getting.

I knew he was a brilliant poacher and finisher, but I also thought he would run the channels, hold up the ball, bully defenders - all the stuff Watkins is good at. From what we've seen so far, he isn't as physical as I thought he was.

What's surprised me, though, is the quality of his passing game when he drops into midfield. Everyone's seen the assist for the Bailey goal, but even his linkup play for the Cash goal was decent, and showed more footballing intelligence than most strikers. He drops back to collect it and lay it off to Douglas Luiz, and leaves a huge gap for Cash to run into.

And tbf this is what my mate who's a Saints fan told me - people don't realise how good Ings is as a 10. Not sure it's exactly what we were after in the summer, but it's a nice problem for Smith to have, and as the season wears on Smith will work out how to combine Ings, Watkins, Buendia and Bailey.

It's also noticeable how many of MacPhee's set piece routines involve Ings being in the right place at the right time - clearly a smart footballer who can absorb a lot of information.

Think he could end up as a bit of a cult hero at Villa Park... can't really see a Champions League club gambling on Ings's injury record at this age, and his game doesn't seem too reliant on pace, so hopefully we've got him for a few seasons.

I've been saying for a while, he's basically Kane from like 4 years ago, aka doesn't have the legs of a 45 year old and still considers himself a #9 first.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Possibly.
I’d still like to see this:

—————Ings—————
Watkins————Bailey
————Buendia————
——Ramsey—Luiz———

or is it too attacking?

Defence is a bit weak.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Someone a few pages back said he reminds them of Robbie Keane. I think that comparison is spot on. Very similar combo of being comfortable dropping much deeper and linking the play while also having a real poachers instinct. Very interesting player 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Possibly.

—————Ings—————
Watkins————Bailey
————Buendia————
——Ramsey—Luiz———

or is it too attacking?

thats is exactly how i would do it......

Or at least those same players in a 4411, 4241, 433 etc, or like you have it, i think that is our strongest midfield/attack currently.

The only debate for me would be Ramsey vs McGinn, but overall i agree with you.

46 minutes ago, a-k said:

Five games into the season and he's already got a contender for each of goal of the season and assist of the season. And some people were doubting his quality

Not scored an overhead kick in over 90 minutes of football though now. Get rid.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Possibly.

—————Ings—————
Watkins————Bailey
————Buendia————
——Ramsey—Luiz———

or is it too attacking?

That’s my team as well but I’d have Bailey wide left, Buendia wide right and Ings behind Watkins. So basically yes: let’s stick the four of them out there however you like with a couple of midfielders behind them and go for it :)

• Like 1

Â