Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

Don't think he will play for us anywhere other than as a centre forward, he can play as a second striker but we don't play with two strikers, and he's played on the left but only a handful of times in his career and then probably because Southampton don't have good wing options.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Don't think he will play for us anywhere other than as a centre forward, he can play as a second striker but we don't play with two strikers, and he's played on the left but only a handful of times in his career and then probably because Southampton don't have good wing options.

Agree. I think Watkins will play out wide.  I Also think he could do a great job at it. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was there for the horror show 2 years ago with El Ghazi lying on the floor.. It was a horrible day so will be more than happy to pillage them.

I’ve been on the AEG out bandwagon since that game (not a universally popular opinion). 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Watkins wide left forward with his pressing stats, Bailey likewise from the right. Ings putting away the chances created. This be superb

Watkins doesn’t look comfortable out wide imo. I know he started as winger but can see why he was converted to a striker.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Watkins wide left forward with his pressing stats, Bailey likewise from the right. Ings putting away the chances created. This be superb

So Buendia can still play CAM and slide rule passes to left and right. We’d be blistering on the break with that set up. I like this - but not sure Ollie will! 

If we don’t go in for a LF now then 1) the above seems likely, and 2) we’re going to do something pretty big in central midfield, transfer wise. 

Just now, GarethRDR said:

I love the man, but this is literally all I see:

Langester Merrin.gif

I know most of the focus is on the smile but it's the eyes that makes the picture for me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

So Buendia can still play CAM and slide rule passes to left and right. We’d be blistering on the break with that set up. I like this - but not sure Ollie will! 

If we don’t go in for a LF now then 1) the above seems likely, and 2) we’re going to do something pretty big in central midfield, transfer wise. 

It is one possible set up we can play. I'd say 3 5 2 will be one also with Mings, Konsa, Axel in back 3 and Young Cash as wing backs and Watkins Ings up top. This can be an option away to City or United etc..

I think 4 2 3 1, 4 3 3, 4 4 1 1 and 3 5 2 are all open now.

I don't think signing Ings will suddenly mean that Watkins is going to move out wide, he might play there occasionally but we're allowed to have good players on the bench also, something we're going to have to get used to if we're serious about moving up the table.

• Like 2

Personally, I wouldn't have gone down this route - whilst I think Ings is a good player and a top finisher - he is 29 and has a long injury record and was also very expensive considering he only had one year left.  I also don't like the implications for Ollie - I wanted him to remain as our "9".  I would have much preferred a younger option/incoming from overseas, who would have sat behind Ollie - we now have the luxury of being able to break in a foreign import gradually.  Edouard at £20m would have been my choice.

However, we now have Ings and have to find a way to play with him.  I do think he will be a good mentor for Young and Barry.

I would think a 3-4-1-2 could be a real option if Axel arrives.  Even stronger of we get JWP who would bring real energy into CM.

Southampton played a 4-4-2 with wide players and we could replicate this with Buendia drifting inside to make the CM three (he also has good pressing stats) and Ollie drifting out side when we lose possession to cover Buendia's flank (he has the energy to do this).

I think, as said above, the next couple of acquisitions will tell us what Dean wants to do.

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

A wide forward isn't a winger

Didn’t say it was? Just stating he doesn’t look comfortable out wide, odd considering he was once a winger. 

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

So Ollie to terrorise defenders for an hour and then Ings to terrorise them for another half hour. Lovely jubbly

This, there were some games, especially towards the end of the season where I thought Ollie looked slightly less sharp in the last half hour. Problem solved

Â