Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

12 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

You think this  move also forces other clubs hands, I think a lot of the big clubs were looking at Ings if they couldn’t get Haaland, Lukaku or Kane, now that option is off the table and we got a proven premier league striker at a snip they are all kinda up a creek without a paddle. 

It’s a massive statement of intent. The media thought we’d cower and ‘know our place’ with the Grealish. We got laughed at by some for bidding for ESR, who’s laughing now? 

5 minutes ago, villa89 said:

The more I think about it the better and better this signing gets. 

Yeah same. Initially I couldn't understand it but now when thinking how the team are to set up it makes more and more sense. 

1 minute ago, ozvillafan said:

Imagine a line up including: Ashley Young, Brad Young, Mings, Ings, Buendia, Martinez and Targett:

"Emi distributes the ball to Emi... back to Mings... up to Ings then quickly out wide to Young...  Young to Young... a lovely first time ball to Ings who fires a shot which is off Targett...  and in!"

Commentators nightmare.

Sign all the Jordans!  Oh hang on...

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

i dont think so... £35m for Buendia, £30m, £25m for ings puts us around about where i would we would be spend wise anyway

the other thing of interest with those 3 is we had lined up maybe a £200k wage package for grealish so we had that money to spend, those 3 wont be miles over it at a guess, ings slightly over £100k, Bailey and Buendia £70k - 100K, chuck young in as well at around £60k i reckon

so we've potentially spent our transfer kitty and added £350k to the wage bill and now we're going to receive £100m and take £150k off the wage bill, and then we released heaton so take another £50k off the wages and sold engels for what its worth, maybe £230k off the wages, sell hourihane and then get some kind of money for wesley...

i've think we're in a very position money wise

Taylor and Elmo left as well

• Like 1

Its weird, with Ings and Ashley Young, we have signed 2 players in positions where in the 1st team they are pretty solid choices in front of them (Watkins & Targett); however neither of them will be satisfied with simply warming  the bench. We have massively improved the squad this summer and there are real options on the bench finally. It is also really logical for these signings to be made to allow the youth players a real chance to develop. This is definitely one of those signings that could be a complete masterstroke.

And to think, the window is far from over... 

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Taylor and Elmo left as well

£40k each maybe?

so in terms of the wage bill with where we are now we're maybe around £50k a week more if grealish leaves at a guess

thats pretty good going given the quality that we've bought in

if we buy no one else this summer and then sell grealish and hourihane then i would think that we're at break even in both the kitty and the wages

Re: the injuries. He has certainly had some bad luck, but I suspect (well, hope) that his record will improve as he can be rotated more given our squad.

In a similar vein, I expect {He who must not be named} to improve his injury record at Citeh. When fit he played pretty much every minute for us. At JR Ewing FC, he will be similarly rested and rotated which will help with those stress injuries.

• Like 1

Just now, Pez1974 said:

Re: the injuries. He has certainly had some bad luck, but I suspect (well, hope) that his record will improve as he can be rotated more given our squad.

In a similar vein, I expect {He who must not be named} to improve his injury record at Citeh. When fit he played pretty much every minute for us. At JR Ewing FC, he will be similarly rested and rotated which will help with those stress injuries.

I agree regarding Ings and the injuries. At Southampton, he was required to play every minute because he had zero competition (like Watkins last season) but now he has solid competition for that spot both can breathe down each others necks, and swap in when someone is out of form. The reliance on one player was a big issue for us last season, and we risked that being the case with Watkins. This negates that, as well as hopefully making it easier to keep both fit and firing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pez1974 said:

Hahaha. . I think Sue Ellen would be a great name for Jack

dont get all the grumbling about how to fit these new players in, or that we have too many players for one position etc. 

i would love to see the statistics for how often in a typical season a manager has his full 1st choice 11 players available for selection - cant imagine its very high. It is very much a squad game nowadays - and players know this

25 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

5 separate injuries last season 27BB9EB5-B7E1-4114-874E-08F13CD1FC2E.thumb.png.cf3b78505999da5499eab5aed7a0d5b8.png

Three of those are nothing injuries though, and the hamstring only put him out for 8 days. 

Â