Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

Injury news

Aston Villa handed huge Leon Bailey and Emi Buendia boost as Dean Smith provides team news update

Dean Smith has confirmed new signings Leon Bailey and Emi Buendia are available for selection against Watford, while Ollie Watkins will be assessed today.

Jamaican Bailey checked into Bodymoor Heath on Thursday and did some fitness work with strength and conditioning coach Paddy Moore following his quarantine period.

The £30million winger will train with his new teammates at Bodymoor Heath today and will travel down to Watford later.

As for record-signing Buendia, the Argentinian has missed Villa's last two friendlies with an adductor issue but, according to Smith, he's fit and raring to go for tomorrow's curtain-raiser at Vacarage Road.

More in the link above ...

Ings

AEG   Buendia.  Traore

McGinn.   Nakamba

MT.   Mings Ezri. Cash

Emi

Is how I expect us to line up. Bailey and JPB getting chances later on in the game off the bench considering lack of pre season/youth. 

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

Ings

AEG   Buendia.  Traore

McGinn.   Nakamba

MT.   Mings Ezri. Cash

Emi

Is how I expect us to line up. Bailey and JPB getting chances later on in the game off the bench considering lack of pre season/youth. 

i agree that's the most likely. if ollie is fit you might see AEG drop out for him and buendia shift out left

If Ollie is out and Traore/Bailey not fit to start you'd have to guess that we will play 3 in midfield with one of Ramsey or Chukwuemeka. 

Interesting that after all the talk of Ollie, Wes being backup and Ollie never getting injured  that hes potentially out for the first game! Welcome Danny, glad to have you hear my boy!

edit - completely forgot about Ashley Young... wonder if he might play wide with Buendia moving into the middle. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

If Watkins is out it will probably be this 

Martinez 

Cash Konsa Mings Targett 

Nakamba  Mcginn 

traore     Buendia      Elghazi/young 

Ings 

0-2 Villa 

• Like 1

Sounds encouraging team news and only really 50/50 about if Ollie will play. from the doubts from last weekend. Seems like Bailey and Buendia are ready.

If Ollie is fit:

.......................Emi M.......................

Cash.....Konsa.....Mings.....Targett

...........McGinn....Nakamba...........

Emi B.............Ollie...............Bailey

.......................Ings.........................

If Ollie is out:

.....................Emi M........................

............McGinn....Nakamba...........

Traore............Emi B.............Bailey

.........................Ings.......................

Though maybe I am being a bit optimistic with Bailey starting - I hope he does though. Ideally we need 3 points tomorrow.

22 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Cant wait for the season to start. more optimistic than I have been for years. 

Also I have stopped my 4:1 bet (been doing it over 20 years) so hopefully it will happen now several times, changed to 2:0 UTV

That's it, I'm lumping on.

• Like 1

......................Emi M.......................

...........McGinn....Nakamba...........

Emi B...............Ings...............AEG

.........................Ollie.........................

1. Steer

2. Bailey

3. Young

4. Hause

5. Checkweumeka

6. Philogene-Bidace

7. Traore

8. Hourihane

9. Tuenzebe

With Sanson, Luiz plus one or two other possible signings this looks good, especially when Bailey is the starter and a possible upgrade on Nakamba. Thats a very strong squad for the season, you have to be happy with that and much better than last season.

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

I think i'd just throw Bailey in tbh. Bit of a wild card. Surely his fitness level must be similar to Traore's. 

I think he's been locked up in a hotel all week and had not trained the week before that. I'd be surprised if he's on the bench.

If Ollie is 50/50 probably see him named on the bench. That's the flexibility Ings signing gives us, don't have to start Ollie if he isn't 100%.

If he isn't involved sure someone said Davis had picked up yet another knock so with Wes seemingly in exile we risk not having a striker on the bench which isn't a great look for first day of the season.

Everyone putting two in midfield (McGinn and Nakz) but think he'll go with three in midfield in a tricky away opener.  Ramsey might get the nod over Chuk with Ghazi and Buendia supporting Ings.  Bailey on the bench.

• Like 2