Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

10 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

If you have a quick scroll through the watford forums, they thonk they are getting battered and def going down!

I suppose yesterday was a bit different as it was the first time any of the Brentford fans have seen their team in the top flight, so the atmosphere was always going to be quality. Shows how much the fans have been missed. 

7 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Who do you think will be the first negative poster in the game thread ?

JGMC10 he’s a new user, keeps saying “no disrespect” before almost shitting on anything positive.

• Haha 3

I am nervous about today. I feel we will win and do so comfortably. But I am nervous what it means if we don't. Since NSWE & Smith we have shown massive improvement each season. Starting with promotion, to retaining PL status to finishing 11th. I want and expect to see improvement this season so I am wanting 8th but would love 6th or 7th. If we are to deliver this improvement then this is the type of game we should be taking 3 points from. 

Its not the end of the world if we draw or even lose, it would just be a bit deflating and would put a dint in our (my) aspirations for Villa this season

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Looking reasonably good, but even more uncertain than normal. Big changes to our team. I'm hopeful, but we'll see.

I think it's good that the changes are in the attacking part of the side. Working in new defenders/goalies is always far more of a banana skin. We'll be fine. 

• Like 2

Newly promoted team on the first day of the season away is not easy.

But, we have reached a stage where we are expected to win. It won't be a nice surprise if we do, it will be a dissapointment if we don't.

This one is a bit like our final pre-season game. In the sense that it’s our first chance to see how Smith wants to set us up. Obviously there are points at stake, but we’ll gain a lot in terms of fitness and cohesion today. 

No games are easy (just ask Bruce) but I do think we’ll beat Watford today. We’ve got a rock solid back five, and quality up front. Can see Buendia slotting Ings through on goal at least twice. There’ll be chances for sure. 

2-0 Villa. 

Our team the last time we played these away: Heaton, Elmo, Konsa, Hause, Targett, Luiz, Hourihane, Grealish, Lansbury, Jota, Wesley. Kodjia and Chester were on the bench.

No wonder we were well beaten that day - we had Lansbury and Jota in our midfield and they had Doucoure and Deulofeu. They were considerably better than now and we were considerably worse.

Since that day, we have improved (in some cases dramatically) in every position except at LW where Grealish played that day. Konsa, Targett and Luiz are still regulars but have all improved - though Luiz won't play this weekend. McGinn and Mings would have played that game but were injured.

Obviously games aren't won on paper and the game may well prove trickier than we hope, but anything other than 3 points is disappointing. 

Watford did have a very good home record last season in the Champ and we haven't won there since 1999, though we've only played there three times since that 99 win (1 draw and 2 defeats). Time to put that right today.

• Like 2

Based on suspected injuries and who has had minutes in preseason I'd go for something like this.

...................Martinez ......................

Cash.....Konsa.....Mings.....Targett

............McGinn....Nakamba...........

Traore............Buendia ............Young

........................Ings.......................

Bailey as an impact sub if we need something to happen later on in the game. 

Really hope we get off to a good start but the disjointed preseason worries and Watford being at home I don't think it will be straight forward. Watford will be well up for it, with their home fans behind them and we saw what happened with Brentford last night, it would be naïve to think this will be walk over.  

Head says draw, heart says narrow 2-1 Villa win 

It feels quite different to last season. We didn't know what to expect and the first few wins were such a delight. 

Now, these are the games we expect to win and even against the top 4, now expect to give them a good game with a decent chance of a result.

Winning mindset but heavier weight of expectation. Make it so, lads. 

7 minutes ago, tinker said:

2-1 loss is my prediction, Watford will be well up for this and we have to many unknowns going into it. Hopefully I'm wrong 

That's the spirit. Setting yourself up for an "I told you so" whinge?

15 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

If deeney plays, it must be konsa to mark him, Tyrone is prone to trying to bully certain players and loses all concentration on the actual game.

Deeney being one of those players.

Sounds like great captain material.