Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

21 minutes ago, TomC said:

After spending the past few weeks talking about how much depth we have in midfield now, we might have trouble picking a midfield in this one. Sanson, Dougie, and Bailey definitely out, Buendia and Watkins probably out. Ouch.

Have you not been reading the thread? Bailey and Buendia both declared available. 

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Its exciting. Feels like a new era about to kick off again.

Hopefully Watkins makes it. The way Ings, Buendia, Watkins all press is giving me vibes of when Smith first came in. Think his second game (0-1 loss at QPR) was where we saw a new Villa where we absolutely dominated and pressed like ive never seen a Villa side do before. Everyone playing on 100 and looking to impress in front of the away faithful will hopefully see us get the points. I cant wait UTV

I can't really remember it, but someone recently reacted to a post of mine from after the Swansea game in the Dean Smith thread and my observation then is pretty much exactly what you just said here. Hopefully it'll have only taken us 2 seasons in the PL to replicate what he did in the Championship, which is remarkable. Can't wait!

On 20/10/2018 at 14:00, Keyblade said:

I have rarely seen us press a team and force them into mistakes like we did today. We made Swansea look like Aston Villa at times, which is a huge improvement from making every team look like Man City. So excited for the future.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Have you not been reading the thread? Bailey and Buendia both declared available. 

Ooops! The quote in BOF's post wasn't fully expanded on my screen and I missed it entirely. My bad!

On the positive side, I'm much more excited about tomorrow now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Very winnable game. The only reason not to get a result is if we freeze on the day.

Looks like everyone(expected)  Barr OW is available so no excuses. No daft mistakes and we easily have enough to snatch a couple of goals.

Very winnable.

Based on what we think is the available squad i would go 

Normal back 5 

Ramsey and Nakamba holding 

Meatball atacking midfield 

Young and Buendia on the wings 

Ingsy up front. 

That should give us plenty of grit in midfield and attacking magic on the wings feeding Ings.

• Like 3

I really really hope we don't get done like a kipper I'm the same way Brentford did Arsenal!

I'm fairly positive Villa, even with Mike Clubb gone, I'm actually really positive, don't ruin it please!! :P

I'm mentally preparing for a loss purely because:

1. Newly promoted team playing at home bounce

2. Grealish replacements not yet fully embedded so we're likely to be worse in the short term before we improve

3. Disrupted pre-season with key players (Mings, Targett, Martinez, Buendia, Ings) not getting as much game time as we'd like. 

That said, I'm excited to see the start of a somewhat new era, particularly buendia and bailey (if he gets on)

5 hours ago, JPJCB said:

I'm mentally preparing for a loss purely because:

1. Newly promoted team playing at home bounce

2. Grealish replacements not yet fully embedded so we're likely to be worse in the short term before we improve

3. Disrupted pre-season with key players (Mings, Targett, Martinez, Buendia, Ings) not getting as much game time as we'd like. 

That said, I'm excited to see the start of a somewhat new era, particularly buendia and bailey (if he gets on)

These are my concerns too. Hopefully watching the Arsenal Brentford game will put them in the right frame of mind in terms of what to expect re intensity and home support.

The general consensus from the watford fans is that apart from Sarr they have no real premier league quality. In fact they feel their team is weaker than last season  . 35 players in their squad. 

Might be slightly different atmosphere to Brentford who had been waiting for 74 years to play top flight football. The last time they played at Vic Road they were playing premier league football. 

If Deeney plays then Ty will need to be at the top of his game but this is our 3rd season in the premier with 3 of our back 4 . I would hope that we have learned alot and no longer can be rabbits in the headlights at times in defence. 

Despite quite a few players being unavailable for selection i do think that what we do have means a really good balance for us . 433 suits us and we know it really well. 

Edited by MWARLEY2
  • Like 2

Slightly concerned for a few reasons but still a very winnable game. 

I didn't realise their home form was so good last season, that kind of momentum could have an impact today.

My confidence levels will change based on the team news. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Not likely to start but probably comes on as sub

Watford have lots of injuries, I expect (hope) Deeney will start, he is way past it now and his frustration from not getting a look in could result in a red. Then it will just be target practice for Ings, Buendia and Ash