Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

I’ve changed my mind several times re the team selection. Hearing who’s fit and who’s unlikely has made me change again. This is how I’d start: 

....................Martinez ......................

Cash.....Konsa.....Mings.....Targett

............McGinn....Nakamba...........

Bailey............Buendia ............Young

........................Ings.......................

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Everyone putting two in midfield (McGinn and Nakz) but think he'll go with three in midfield in a tricky away opener.  Ramsey might get the nod over Chuk with Ghazi and Buendia supporting Ings.  Bailey on the bench.

Wouldnt say it's a tricky away opener. It's about as kind an away fixture as we could have got. They're favourites to go down with Norwich and have players out injured. Need a win as games are very tough in September and October.

• Like 2

We will win this one I think. Check out this match preview from The Guardian, they are so out of touch with Villa its unreal! this won't be how we line up on saturday! Also they state that Ashley Young is "unthreatening"!? have they seen this guy!? watch him bang in a freekick or get a goal from open play. I think they have underestimated him and assume he is a spent force, how wrong they are.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/13/watford-aston-villa-match-preview-premier-league

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villatillidie95 said:

We will win this one I think. Check out this match preview from The Guardian, they are so out of touch with Villa its unreal! this won't be how we line up on saturday! Also they state that Ashley Young is "unthreatening"!? have they seen this guy!? watch him bang in a freekick or get a goal from open play. I think they have underestimated him and assume he is a spent force, how wrong they are.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/13/watford-aston-villa-match-preview-premier-league

ASTON VILLA

Subs from Steer, Jota, Davis, Chrisene, Wesley, Elmohamady, Philogene-Bidace, Chukwuemeka, Tuanzebe, Watkins, Hourihane, Traoré, El Ghazi

Doubtful Buendía (hip), Watkins (knee)

Injured Bailey (self-isolation, 21 Aug), Douglas Luiz (Olympics leave, unknown), Sanson (knee, unknown), Trezeguet (knee, unknown)

This is unbelievably poor for a national paper. 

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 2

13 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

it was probably written when there was the assumption bailey would not be available and watkins was injured

I'm confident. We've added some excellent quality up front, and we'll be as solid at the back as we were last season. I see a Buendia/Ings masterclass coming, with Bailey on later to stretch his legs.

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I’ve changed my mind several times re the team selection. Hearing who’s fit and who’s unlikely has made me change again. This is how I’d start: 

....................Martinez ......................

Cash.....Konsa.....Mings.....Targett

............McGinn....Nakamba...........

Bailey............Buendia ............Young

........................Ings.......................

That team but with JPB in for Bailey

• Like 1

I would rather be going there later in the season, when they are feeling a little bit demoralised, but so be it. Their fans will be up for it and their players will still have some lingering confidence, following their promotion season. We owe them one, having lost on our last two visits to Vicarage Road (0-3 in 2020  & 2-3 in 2016). Our last win at Watford was back in 1999 and we drew there in 2006, before those two defeats. Overall, we have won 7 and have drawn 5 of the 20 league games, that have been played between the two clubs since 1969. A win would level things up and should also keep us in or very near the top four, which would be nice. The first target for our team is to avoid defeat. A win would give us an outstanding start to the season and it would put us on course to prove we are not a "one man team" after all. Just win it for us Villa! 

• Like 2

After spending the past few weeks talking about how much depth we have in midfield now, we might have trouble picking a midfield in this one. Sanson, Dougie, and Bailey definitely out, Buendia and Watkins probably out. Ouch.

The back 7 pick themselves under the circumstances, assuming we go 4-2-3-1:

McGinn- Nakamba

Targett - Mings - Konsa - Cash

Martinez

The only thing in the front 4 that seems sure is that with Bailey still in quarantine, Traore is a lock on the right. The rest depends on whether Buendia or Watkins play.

--If Buendia and Watkins both play, I think we have...

Ings

Watkins - Buendia - Traore

--If Watkins is out but Buendia is in, same as above but sub Young on the left.

--If Buendia is out but Watkins is in, I can see us switching to something more like a 4-4-2...

Watkins - Ings

Young - McGinn - Nakamba - Traore

--If Buendia and Watkins are both out, this is where we start looking a little thin. Probably...

Ings

Young - Ramsey - Traore

In some ways I'd like to see JPB instead of Ramsey, but I think that Deano will want more experience for the first game of the season and he rates Ramsey pretty highly.

Edited by TomC
Fixed mistake
  • Thanks 1

--------------------------Ings----------------------------
Watkins------------------------------------Buendia
------------------Chukwuemeka--------------------
--------------McGinn--------Nakamba------------
--------------------------------------------------------------
Targett--------Mings----Konsa-----------Cash
------------------------Martinez------------------------

I don't want El Ghazi anywhere near the side tbh. He's been poor in pre-season and is largely poor whenever he plays. If Watkins is out, I'd play Young on the left. Failing that, JPB.

• Like 1