Unrestricted GIFs, yay or nay?

Davkaus

Question

1 hour ago, limpid said:

They are just embedded images. There isn't a way to limit them other than the number per post or not allow images at all.

The GIF button is largely irrelevant as many mobile keyboards have GIF built in. (certainly Gboard does).

If people are posting too many GIFs, add them to your ignore list.

I've barely seen them in Off Topic.

I meant On Topic.

Off Topic is fine

• Like 1
1 hour ago, limpid said:

They are just embedded images. There isn't a way to limit them other than the number per post or not allow images at all.

The GIF button is largely irrelevant as many mobile keyboards have GIF built in. (certainly Gboard does).

If people are posting too many GIFs, add them to your ignore list.

Fair enough, I wasn't sure of the exact implementation of it, but my observation has been that since the GIF button has made them more easy and accessible, things have got a bit crazy. Maybe the genie is out of the bottle with the GIFification of the internet though. I try to not use the ignore button at all, that's even more harmful for discussion, and if there's behaviour that makes people use ignore en-mass, it's going to become a fairly fractuous discussion board

Personally, if enforcing limitations of it isn't technically feasible, I'd support @blandy's suggestion of tightening up the site guidelines to reduce low-effort GIF posts, but I recognise this is your site and not a democracy :D 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, blandy said:

I agree with @Davkaus. Some threads are full of the things. Personally, in the various irreverent threads on off topic they’re fine, but in player threads and so on, they’re a massive annoyance. We have a site guideline that says “Please don't make posts consisting only of smilies or a quote plus smilies”

I’d favour similar for gifs

Sounds Good Cbs GIF by Paramount+

(sorry.)

(but not really.) 

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

My thoughts are that for ON Topic (only) we could encourage posters to limit the use of Gifs/images within the threads to those relevant to the topic. When on topic threads become basically Gif-fests they are, if not ruined, no longer able for discussion to be followed easily, for people who want to read or talk about the board, or this player or that player, or finances or whatever. I think the VT posters are a good bunch who could perhaps accept that type of encouragement.

To the mod cave to turn this into a rule :mrgreen:

• Like 1
18 hours ago, blandy said:

My thoughts are that for ON Topic (only) we could encourage posters to limit the use of Gifs/images within the threads to those relevant to the topic. When on topic threads become basically Gif-fests they are, if not ruined, no longer able for discussion to be followed easily, for people who want to read or talk about the board, or this player or that player, or finances or whatever. I think the VT posters are a good bunch who could perhaps accept that type of encouragement.

This is the right answer imo and reflects my view. For example I checked the Grealish thread yesterday for some news and didn't get nay news because I couldn't be bothered to filter through the gifs.

A bit like when we used to have HUGE quoting trees (remember them). It's not breaking the rules but posters were encouraged to trim their quotes or not quote such big posts so people weren't scrolling for ages through the same posts.

I love gifs, they're perfect for certain situations. but there are a couple of posters who have clearly just discovered the gif button and are posting gifs absolutely everywhere, and replying to other gifs with a gif so you get chains of gifs that mean nothing. Someone even started a topic that I'm sure was just an excuse to post more gifs.

Maybe even just a PM from a mod to prolific gif users to give them a nudge not to do it. Not warning points or anything, just a friendly reminder

• Thanks 1

Thing is what do you stop next, users posting too many images, puns? Looks like the Gifs have already been removed, I can see some users still can post them but the majority ,including me, have seen the gif button dissappear.

Integrated keyboards with gif dont work (not on android anyway) I have Gboard, SwiftKey and the Samsung one and none of them work. 

I think puns are more annoying, waking up to a thread with 10 new pages only to find 9 of it littered with fish puns is more annoying than gif, a well placed gif can be funny! ! I would have said limit them but looks like they have been removed. 

I did a quick test with gboard on Android. The gif button is there but when I press the image I get a "not supported on this site" from both Firefox and Chrome. Anybody got this to work or is it just me?

Copying a gif-link works fine.

6 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Absolute lightweights complaining about the loss of the .gif button.  I was ruining threads with excessive .gifs for years before that button was even a twinkle in the developer's eyes; back in my day we had to Google the .gif we wanted and copy/paste it, sometimes even re-host it elsewhere.  Good, hard-working, honest .gif posting it was, that turned boys into men and men into gods.

I didn't even know it was there until this thread and it changed my life for 4 fabulous hours.

14 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I did a quick test with gboard on Android. The gif button is there but when I press the image I get a "not supported on this site" from both Firefox and Chrome. Anybody got this to work or is it just me?

Copying a gif-link works fine.

Same for me, I get not supported, tried all the different web browsers on Android. 

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

How difficult is it to scroll past some gifs.

Comes across as some spiteful kids stopping some fun loving kids having fun. 

Having fun generates more traffic which I assume is better for any website, who wants to log on to something boring.

There is an ignore function, if you do not like what people post then use the function that is already there for that purpose.

Well it is actually quite difficult when every topic is full of them.

Like I said I love gifs and when used correctly they're very fun.

But in On Topic at the moment some topics are just gif after gif after gif. I don't think anyone is finding those chains funny. It's weird. Like I said there are a couple of posters who seem to have decided to up their post count by posting gifs everywhere. Even starting topics just to post gifs

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Well it is actually quite difficult when every topic is full of them.

Like I said I love gifs and when used correctly they're very fun.

But in On Topic at the moment some topics are just gif after gif after gif. I don't think anyone is finding those chains funny. It's weird. Like I said there are a couple of posters who seem to have decided to up their post count by posting gifs everywhere. Even starting topics just to post gifs

Overreaction at its finest.