Derby County

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Mel Morris spent money he didn't have to buy their way into the Prem and it has now backfired on them.

I think it is more that he spent money Derby didn't have as opposed to Mel not having. He has the cash but FFP restrictions didn't allow him to spend it. I am not saying he would have wanted to spend it if he was allowed but it is the decision making and accounting practices at DCFC that have resulted in them getting in this mess

• Like 1

On 16/09/2021 at 11:59, The_Steve said:

Feel bad for Wycombe - the league has dragged their feet and allowed the club to stay up instead of imposing punishments earlier. Amazing how the league continues to allow such bad owners. 

It’s amazing how the FA seems so intent on punishing those “bad owners” but when it comes to the Sky 6 playing silly buggers with income and being suspect, they let that slide

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

I thought FFP was going to help against things like this. If the proper owner test was real it might have.

The fit and proper persons test is rubbish, but it isn't to blame here. Morris has owned the club for more than half a decade, and there was nothing in his background that would have made him fail or raised any red flags that I'm aware of. They just haven't done a good job of accounting in a difficult division to budget for, and which has increasingly tough rules.

3 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

It’s amazing how the FA seems so intent on punishing those “bad owners” but when it comes to the Sky 6 playing silly buggers with income and being suspect, they let that slide

They changed the ruling on dodgy stadium to close that loophole. Just like the changed the ruling on the dodgy practice of club owners buying their own stadium to get around FFP/P&S. It is not the 'Sky 6', lots of clubs, including Aston Villa are trying to find ways around FFP. We are just as bad as the rest

What does that mean? Do they have to leave the league? 

Tragic, the whole thing. 

That said, they should have had the fires sale after they lost to us and cut their cloth accordingly instead of continuing spending and investing bonkers amounts of money on Rooney as player and manager.  It's insane. 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Tragic, the whole thing. 

That said, they should have had the fires sale after they lost to us and cut their cloth accordingly instead of continuing spending and investing bonkers amounts of money on Rooney as player and manager.  It's insane. 

Talk of a 12 point deduction. Whether that's on top of the 9 point deduction I have no idea. They are in a real mess.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Rooney is apparently on 2.6m a year a DCFC, that's about twice what Dean Smith reportedly earns.

I'm surprised Smith's paid so little tbh. Managers salaries always surprise me compared to players. I can see why star players earn a lot more than their manager, but Dean Smith earns about the same as Keinan Davis or Kortney Hause? That's just a bit odd, isn't it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Tragic, the whole thing. 

And I doubt Phillip Cocu was cheap. He had an excellent reputation before joining Derby. I actually fancied him for Villa when we sacked Bruce but didn't think it realistic that we could attract him or afford him (how things have changed). His wages and sacking fee would have cost a lot. Then the whole Richard Keogh disaster for them where they sacked Keogh and not the two younger players who were on lower wages. There was no way Keogh was not going to win his court case and he got awarded about 3m.

Hopefully they will survive and a new owner will come in and try and restructure things for a challenge on League 1 next season

8 hours ago, JPJCB said:

What’s even the point of points deductions in these situations? Just punishes the fans for the owners mismanagement 

They need some way to punish DCFC, if there is no punishment for the crime then there is no deterrent. Wycombe may also feel a bit hard done by and want to see them punished. It is probably too late but they should be put in League 1 now and Wycombe into the Championship.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'm surprised Smith's paid so little tbh. Managers salaries always surprise me compared to players. I can see why star players earn a lot more than their manager, but Dean Smith earns about the same as Keinan Davis or Kortney Hause? That's just a bit odd, isn't it.

Smith had never managed above the Championship and when he joined us he was joining a Championship club. From what I read he was on about 400k and Brentford and we offered him 1m a year which he no doubt very happily accepted. Then his contract renewal gave him a 50% payrise to put him on 1.5m a year. 

Shouldn't punish the clubs for bad owners, all of this could be stopped by not allowing owners to leverage debt against a club. If owners want to invest, let them, but the debt should be theirs and not the club's. Bad owners, along with agents, are killing clubs.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

They need some way to punish DCFC, if there is no punishment for the crime then there is no deterrent. Wycombe may also feel a bit hard done by and want to see them punished. It is probably too late but they should be put in League 1 now and Wycombe into the Championship.  

Yes, and take 3 points off small heath.

• Haha 2

Â