Todd Cantwell

TreeVillan

4 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

I don't think this is just an 'other fans' thing.

Just looking at it from a stats perspective(this whole post) it all lines up with the consensus tbh, he looks a good player with potential but not at the level we were hoping(at least yet).

His overall performances across the season last time in the prem were decent, nothing more nothing less, at that same age Grealish had just had his first full season of being unbelievable (admittedly in the championship).

Last season his championship stats are good, but again nowhere near Grealish in either that real breakout year or the year he was the driving force in getting us promoted.

Then the next year(this year for cantwell) Grealish kept up where he left off and did exactly the same only in the prem, I don't really expect the same from cantwell, whilst he was good in the championship I'm not sure he was such a level above.

Compare this to buendia, who (statistically) looks like he was a complete level above in the championship and he looks much more like the Grealish replacement.

But I think because we've known about buendia for a while we'd all like to see that statement and move for someone proven and established as a replacement(not necessarily in the same position) since the Grealish news looks pretty nailed on now, maybe that was what the Ings move was about though.

You’re probably right mate, I was just offering a different take on it perhaps :) 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Cantwell would start for us. 

I think we’ll see Cantwell and Ward Prowse come in for around 75m and that will be our lot. 

I didn't necessarily mean Cantwell. But surely he, buendia, Bailey and Ings don't all start as well as him. And I can't see Watkins getting dropped  

28 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I didn't necessarily mean Cantwell. But surely he, buendia, Bailey and Ings don't all start as well as him. And I can't see Watkins getting dropped  

It’s the big conundrum. How do you keep Watkins and Ings both happy? I absolutely can’t see us playing 4-4-2 unless we’re chasing a game and I don’t really rate Watkins as a wide player, albeit I think he’d do a job out there. 

Ings gives us a lot of options but the key is now to replace Grealish and sign a defensive midfielder. 

We’ve been heavily linked with Cantwell, McNeill and Ward Prowse. We’ve even had bids for JWP rejected. I think we’ll bring two more in and I’d be surprised if you don’t hear about one of those today or tomorrow given the season starts in 9 days. 

Cantwell is not a bad player imo. He's not Grealish but he has similar traits to Grealish when Grealish was a few years younger.

I think Smith has made Grealish a better player since he became the Villa manager, if he can do similar with Cantwell then it could be a very astute signing. 

30 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s the big conundrum. How do you keep Watkins and Ings both happy? I absolutely can’t see us playing 4-4-2 unless we’re chasing a game and I don’t really rate Watkins as a wide player, albeit I think he’d do a job out there. 

Ings gives us a lot of options but the key is now to replace Grealish and sign a defensive midfielder. 

We’ve been heavily linked with Cantwell, McNeill and Ward Prowse. We’ve even had bids for JWP rejected. I think we’ll bring two more in and I’d be surprised if you don’t hear about one of those today or tomorrow given the season starts in 9 days. 

When you have two strikers with the work rate of Ings and Watkins I can absolutley see us playing 4-4-2. We effectively played it several times in our opening games last season as Barkley was playing so high he was more a second striker than an attacking midfielder and he, well... didnt have the work rate of Ings. 

42 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Cantwell is not a bad player imo. He's not Grealish but he has similar traits to Grealish when Grealish was a few years younger.

I think Smith has made Grealish a better player since he became the Villa manager, if he can do similar with Cantwell then it could be a very astute signing. 

I think Smith has improved most of our players to be fair to him. Get Cantwell in.

1 hour ago, MachoFantastico said:

Maybe Cantwell might not be so bad after all. 😃 (Apologise if already posted).

Not so much the final ball but I like him in this clip, the energy to be at the heart of the attack and keep getting involved.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

This one is the one gathering the most pace atm it would seem. 

Split opinions across the board it would seem. Personally, I'd like him. 

This.

If we can get him for no more than £25m that would be good business.

Leaves most of our budget left for a quality CDM.

Whispers says bid accepted for a Midfielder and we are awaiting 'resolution' on it before we go for JWP, so if true, it's not him.

Not clear if he means incoming (say, Cantwell) or outgoing (Hourihane). Not sure whether he'd refer to Cantwell as a midfielder though, I know technically he is but you'd think he'd just say winger

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Whispers says bid accepted for a Midfielder and we are awaiting 'resolution' on it before we go for JWP, so if true, it's not him.

Not clear if he means incoming (say, Cantwell) or outgoing (Hourihane). Not sure whether he'd refer to Cantwell as a midfielder though, I know technically he is but you'd think he'd just say winger

Could be Grealish to be fair. We will probably need to sell him first before we spend any more money this window. 

4 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Really useful and clear ITK info as usual then.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

It's just garbage. If a midfielder comes in (which is likely anyway) he's right. If Hourihane is sold (which is also likely) he's right. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

This.

If we can get him for no more than £25m that would be good business.

Leaves most of our budget left for a quality CDM.

Guy on Twitter who seems to be informed claims we had a bid accepted yesterday. If we get him for £25m (out of contract next summer), that would be very good business I think? Certainly leaves money for a very decent CM/DM

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Guy on Twitter who seems to be informed claims we had a bid accepted yesterday. If we get him for £25m (out of contract next summer), that would be very good business I think? Certainly leaves money for a very decent CM/DM

Who's that? I need to improve my judgement when it comes to people I pay attention to!

Â