Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

There’s been so much negativity and pessimism lately… why?

“Jack’s leaving”, “players are too good for us”, “another Rashica”, “why aren’t we signing anyone?”, “we’re going to struggle”, “we’ll go with what we have”… etc. etc. etc.

Doesn’t it make sense to be patient and see how things pan out? And in the meantime be a bit optimistic and positive after what was, overall, a season of great progression for us both on and off the pitch.

The window’s still open until the end of August… deals take time…

Do people not agree that we are an attractive club and have an exciting and ambitious project that players would like to join?

Why do we see ourselves as inferior? There’s so much that is right about our club right now whereas many are in turmoil or decline, whether that’s on the financial, managerial or player side…

We have no debt and are looking to make a mark, we actually have some stability and are looking strong… we want to compete and climb that table this season…

Business is being done, we’re just not privy to it (all), signings will happen, we want to do better than last season, we have an exciting young team to build on, a great manager, one of the best players around, possibly the next Argentinian star, one of the best goalkeepers around, a solid defence, a brilliant striker, a great youth set up and selection of players… 

and we will be bringing more/higher quality players in…

Big plans and ambitions from our owners who are constantly investing into and upgrading all aspects of the club, a planned stadium expanison…

Need I go on?

We are in a good place and the only way is up, players like Bailey are not “too good for us” and I’m sure would like to join such an exciting team and project…

Chins up lads…

I always remember Graham Taylor saying that villa always struggle to attract the very best players even when things are going well.

I think the rose tinted glasses have to come off - yes things are better than they have been for many years - but we are still a good way off bossing it in the prem.

Those latter Lerner years really damaged us.

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

There’s been so much negativity and pessimism lately… why?

“Jack’s leaving”, “players are too good for us”, “another Rashica”, “why aren’t we signing anyone?”, “we’re going to struggle”, “we’ll go with what we have”… etc. etc. etc.

Doesn’t it make sense to be patient and see how things pan out? And in the meantime be a bit optimistic and positive after what was, overall, a season of great progression for us both on and off the pitch.

The window’s still open until the end of August… deals take time…

Do people not agree that we are an attractive club and have an exciting and ambitious project that players would like to join?

Why do we see ourselves as inferior? There’s so much that is right about our club right now whereas many are in turmoil or decline, whether that’s on the financial, managerial or player side…

We have no debt and are looking to make a mark, we actually have some stability and are looking strong… we want to compete and climb that table this season…

Business is being done, we’re just not privy to it (all), signings will happen, we want to do better than last season, we have an exciting young team to build on, a great manager, one of the best players around, possibly the next Argentinian star, one of the best goalkeepers around, a solid defence, a brilliant striker, a great youth set up and selection of players… 

and we will be bringing more/higher quality players in…

Big plans and ambitions from our owners who are constantly investing into and upgrading all aspects of the club, a planned stadium expanison…

Need I go on?

We are in a good place and the only way is up, players like Bailey are not “too good for us” and I’m sure would like to join such an exciting team and project…

Chins up lads…

Might be a case of not wanting other teams to hijack our primary targets aswell so that’s something to consider but as fans theres always that demand for instant business to be done 

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

I always remember Graham Taylor saying that villa always struggle to attract the very best players even when things are going well.

I think the rose tinted glasses have to come off - yes things are better than they have been for many years - but we are still a good way off bossing it in the prem.

Those latter Lerner years really damaged us.

I don’t think anyone is saying or believing that we will “boss the league” but we’re progressing well & quickly and are now looking to compete with and mix it with those 6th - 8th placed teams at least.

I don’t see how we’re less of an attraction than the likes of Everton and apparently Buendia decided to join us over Arsenal. We can compete with any of the teams below Leicester for now and we’re no less of a draw… they’re not exactly in strong positions now either… 

If we want to be ambitious (and align ourselves with the views or vision of our ownership and management) then we need to stop seeing ourselves as inferior to so many clubs… we’re allowed to compete and we can do it. We can surpass them and break up that established order… after all, it’s our rightful place considering our history and prestige aswell as our standing and resources right now…

As we strengthen and bring in a higher calibre of player (as we are entitled and capable of doing), we can look to push on even more… we have significant financial resources too and they will only improve, we’re just restricted by FFP…

We need to forget about the Lerner and Xia days and consider that this is a completely new/different era and regime. We can’t overlook how much better and how much more investment, time and resources these owners have put into the club. These guys are in a different league and have taken the actions to back it up… 

They’ve pumped in millions and cleared us of all debt… have are continuing to invest in the team and clearly want to see us competing at or near the top end of the league.

They don’t come out with empty or bold statements willy nilly and don’t piss about on Twitter! 🤣

Why don’t we have a bit of hope and optimism instead of jut being miserable and negative? If we can’t take enjoyment in what’s happening in/with our club, then what’s the point? We’re in our best place or state for years…

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RicRic said:

Might be a case of not wanting other teams to hijack our primary targets aswell so that’s something to consider but as fans theres always that demand for instant business to be done 

I don’t really get the lack of patience either though, it’s not like other teams have been more or even as active as us so far… Buendia was a great signing and we received many an envious glance or comment for  managing to sign him…

Looking back, so much business is completed at/toward the end of the transfer window, despite the desires and intentions of clubs, on deadline day too…

Completing transfers is not as easy or simple a process as many people believe, these things take time and a lot of factors are involved.

Let’s hang tight and see what happens…

No need for jitters…

There’s every chance we could sign Bailey and bring in a few more… why be defeatist about these things?

41 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I don’t think anyone is saying or believing that we will “boss the league” but we’re progressing well & quickly and are now looking to compete with and mix it with those 6th - 8th placed teams at least.

I don’t see how we’re less of an attraction than the likes of Everton and apparently Buendia decided to join us over Arsenal. We can compete with any of the teams below Leicester for now and we’re no less of a draw… they’re not exactly in strong positions now either… 

If we want to be ambitious (and align ourselves with the views or vision of our ownership and management) then we need to stop seeing ourselves as inferior to so many clubs… we’re allowed to compete and we can do it. We can surpass them and break up that established order… after all, it’s our rightful place considering our history and prestige aswell as our standing and resources right now…

As we strengthen and bring in a higher calibre of player (as we are entitled and capable of doing), we can look to push on even more… we have significant financial resources too and they will only improve, we’re just restricted by FFP…

We need to forget about the Lerner and Xia days and consider that this is a completely new/different era and regime. We can’t overlook how much better and how much more investment, time and resources these owners have put into the club. These guys are in a different league and have taken the actions to back it up… 

They’ve pumped in millions and cleared us of all debt… have are continuing to invest in the team and clearly want to see us competing at or near the top end of the league.

They don’t come out with empty or bold statements willy nilly and don’t piss about on Twitter! 🤣

Why don’t we have a bit of hope and optimism instead of jut being miserable and negative? If we can’t take enjoyment in what’s happening in/with our club, then what’s the point? We’re in our best place or state for years…

All good points. And I agree we are in a better place than we have been in years.

Where I disagree is how the rest of the footballing world sees us. In relative terms I don't think we are as attractive to players as we should be .

I've been following villa for 50 years and we never really have shopped at the top of the market. The 1980/81 & 1981/2 teams were built on shrewd purchases rather than headline signings (no bad thing - but you get the point)

The biggest names we signed were maybe Ashley Young and John Carew. 

None of this means we can't shift onwards and upwards. However we have been here before and we always flounder at that final step to become a really big club.

That's not negative - that's just history. Maybe it will be different this time.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

All good points. And I agree we are in a better place than we have been in years.

Where I disagree is how the rest of the footballing world sees us. In relative terms I don't think we are as attractive to players as we should be .

I've been following villa for 50 years and we never really have shopped at the top of the market. The 1980/81 & 1981/2 teams were built on shrewd purchases rather than headline signings (no bad thing - but you get the point)

The biggest names we signed were maybe Ashley Young and John Carew. 

None of this means we can't shift onwards and upwards. However we have been here before and we always flounder at that final step to become a really big club.

That's not negative - that's just history. Maybe it will be different this time.

I get what you’re saying but these are different times, completely different times…

We also didn’t have the kind of resources and capacity we do now, it’s not comparable, lots to take into account… a different era altogether… have we ever had owners like these in our history either?

The game has moved on and changed… unfortunately, money talks now more than it has ever done… and different teams have managed to make shock or surprising signings… the top teams can’t sign everyone either…

The allure of playing with quality players like Jack, Martinez and, I predict, the very soon to be recognised Buendia… is strong. It’s quite clear to see we are on the way up and mean business… the leap we made from our first season back in the PL and our second was huge… it could have been even greater if not for some mitigating/extenuating circumstances…

I wouldn’t say a player like Bailey is at the top of the market either, he’s someone who should reach that level and hopefully we have nipped in just in time before his value increases hugely…

That’s what we are trying to do, that’s our transfer strategy… to find the better, younger players with the kind of potential to become stars and thus increase in value and therefore ability and contribution as time goes on…

Alvarez would be the same kind of “project”, I would say in Buendia we’ve signed a player at just the right time before he explodes and becomes a genuine star, with us… I like it…

I believe our aim is to create and build something special and we’re being strategic about it… even better if it’s kind of flying under the radar…

Givent the opportunity to sit down and negotiate with these players, we can sell them on one of the most exciting and ambitious projects or visions around too…

Every season, I assume we will be setting our sights higher and targeting a higher calibre/level of player… less signings but higher quality and more expensive…

Plenty to look forward to…

• Like 3

Just now, Jas10 said:

I get what you’re saying but these are different times, completely different times…

We also didn’t have the kind of resources and capacity we do now, it’s not comparable, lots to take into account… a different era altogether… have we ever had owners like these in our history either?

The game has moved on and changed… unfortunately, money talks now more than it has ever done… and different teams have managed to make shock or surprising signings… the top teams can’t sign everyone either…

The allure of playing with quality players like Jack, Martinez and, I predict, the very soon to be recognised Buendia… is strong. It’s quite clear to see we are on the way up and mean business… the leap we made from our first season back in the PL and our second was huge… it could have been even greater if not for some mitigating/extenuating circumstances…

I wouldn’t say a player like Bailey is at the top of the market either, he’s someone who should reach that level and hopefully we have nipped in just in time before his value increases hugely…

That’s what we are trying to do, that’s our transfer strategy… to find the better, younger players with the kind of potential to become stars and thus increase in value and therefore ability and contribution as time goes on…

Alvarez would be the same kind of “project”, I would say in Buendia we’ve signed a player at just the right time before he explodes and becomes a genuine star, with us… I like it…

I believe our aim is to create and build something special and we’re being strategic about it… even better if it’s kind of flying under the radar…

Givent the opportunity to sit down and negotiate with these players, we can sell them on one of the most exciting and ambitious projects or visions around too…

Every season, I assume we will be setting our sights higher and targeting a higher calibre/level of player… less signings but higher quality and more expensive…

Plenty to look forward to…

Agree. The new owners not only have money they a have a plan. Love all these teenagers we are hoovering up for example.

But the bridge or jump to the bigger clubs has never been bigger. The challenge comes from now on. Villa should never be a mid table club in the championship. In a sense although not to deride it - that was the easy bit.

But we could easily spend £100m each season for the next 3 years and still be roughly where we are now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Agree. The new owners not only have money they a have a plan. Love all these teenagers we are hoovering up for example.

But the bridge or jump to the bigger clubs has never been bigger. The challenge comes from now on. Villa should never be a mid table club in the championship. In a sense although not to deride it - that was the easy bit.

But we could easily spend £100m each season for the next 3 years and still be roughly where we are now.

It’s going to be hard to compete for the CL places, I acknowledge that. Seems almost impossible atm.

The bigger clubs, as well as having the major riches, always seem to get that protection from all fronts, even with refs and decisions (no one worse than Manure)… but some of the so called elite clubs around Europe are getting found out now and the debt they have taken on is going to be unsustainable. Citeh will be subject to further enquiries and scrutiny too so you never know…it’s kicking off again now…

But anything below that top 4 is more than possible, although Leicester have managed to challenge and close the gap, just usually fallen at the final hurdle… it’s not impossible to catch them at least…

I suspect the owners would finance an even bigger push if we showed that kind of progress… if we managed to qualify for Europe and compete in the EL, I can see NSWE salivating at the prospect of getting into the CL and further allowing us to strengthen the team to do so…

44 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

The verbiage around football transfers gets worse by the year: 'direct contact'; 'not advanced'. If I were a real turd, this is how I'd describe the intricacies of the early stages of a wank, rather than negotiations over buying a football player. 

PUT AWAY THE THESAURUS AND REPORT WHAT YOU ACTUALLY KNOW...oh wait, that's the problem.

I thought was a dig at the City guy who said Jack was advanced 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I thought was a dig at the City guy who said Jack was advanced 

That guy seems to have posted a long Twitter thread which boils down to "Transfers are hard. Grealish might sign he might not"

Classic ITK

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That guy seems to have posted a long Twitter thread which boils down to "Transfers are hard. Grealish might sign he might not"

Classic ITK

He's sometimes a guest on the Kelly and Wrighty show and I've never seen somebody use so many words to say so little, especially when the topic is Man City. Like we get it dude with the conspicuously non-Manchester accent, you really know a lot about your club.

Â