The 2021 Tokyo Summer Olympics

sne

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

See I'm actually far more in favour of this sort of thing being in than actual basketball. Same with football and rugby. 7s is far better.

I just don't like seeing NBA and Premier League players in the olympics. Doesn't seem right.

5 aside football, rugby 7's, 3v3 basketball. That would be far better imo

Nah, not for me. Then it should not be there at all, which I would be fine with.

Have no idea about rugby but 5 aside football would about as interesting as touch (American) football.

No doubt Padel tennis will be in the Olympics before long thou.

And I actually enjoy watching the American NBA version of basket go up against the European version. Think it's really interesting to see the clash in styles.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Nah, not for me. Then it should not be there at all, which I would be fine with.

Have no idea about rugby but 5 aside football would about as interesting as touch (American) football.

No doubt Padel tennis will be in the Olympics before long thou.

Flag football is being touted for Los Angeles 😬

The cynic in me says that of course the yanks will try and add at least one sport that they dominate in, unfortunately the box to tick only seems to be global popularity and not global participation, another reason why basketball at the Olympics is pointless, its not competitive 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Flag football is being touted for Los Angeles 😬

The cynic in me says that of course the yanks will try and add at least one sport that they dominate in, unfortunately the box to tick only seems to be global popularity and not global participation, another reason why basketball at the Olympics is pointless, its not competitive 

On the women side it's not, the men's side more so. And basketball is massive in most central and southern European countries, Brazil, Argentina, China and so on so I really enjoy it. 

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Yet they still haven't allowed Squash back in have they?

I was just going to chime in with the same thing. I've become quite a Victor Meldrew about the nonsensical exclusion of squash - an actual sport that can be very entertaining to watch - while no end of other shite whiffs up the schedules.

• Like 3

And with Naomi Osaka having already crashed out of the tennis tournament that's 2 of the biggest names in the whole games out. Biles still available for the individual programs I think.

The highlight we are getting from the beeps are absolutely shambolic. I get it, its British, so you want to show every winners and every British lovers, but at least tell me who won the  gold in the event from the one GB lost

Edited by HongKongVillan
  • Like 1

It's amazing how easily many elite athletes are cracking under pressure recently. Someone should tell them there are people called sports psychologists out there who can help. 

Edited by villa89

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It's amazing how easily many elite athletes are cracking under pressure recently. Someone should tell them there are people called sports psychologists out there who can help. 

It’s really not that simple. Biles apparently mentioned Osaka as a source of inspiration, but it doesn’t make the problem any less real for them. This girl is the last of the girls from when that pedophile doctor was sexually abusing them all, she’s the face of gymnastics and that along side the insane mental and physical pressures of of the sport. Those girls’ environment growing up can be really pretty awful.

Im sure she’s getting help, and that’s why she’s pulling out.

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

It’s really not that simple. Biles apparently mentioned Osaka as a source of inspiration, but it doesn’t make the problem any less real for them. This girl is the last of the girls from when that pedophile doctor was sexually abusing them all, she’s the face of gymnastics and that along side the insane mental and physical pressures of of the sport. Those girls’ environment growing up can be really pretty awful.

Im sure she’s getting help, and that’s why she’s pulling out.

She's also had her brother having been on trial for triple homicide and just been acquitted about a month ago after being arrested in 2019. Or something along those lines.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

She's also had her brother having been on trial for triple homicide and just been acquitted about a month ago after being arrested in 2019. Or something along those lines.

Also, I imagine the main aim for the sport psychologists employed by the American team is to help them get them ready to win not ready for life. She probably doesn’t even have time to see someone privately, unless she takes time away.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

I think the instant feedback loop of social media is at the heart of it. There is so much noise they need to block out these days. All elite athletes would be better off if they deactivated their accounts.

• Like 1

That Swiss sprinter Alex Wilson that broke the European record a week ago in the 100m and ran a crazy time in the 200 that then got scratched due to equipment issues at the stadium has been banned for doping.

He tested positive in Marsh but claimed it was due to eating meat (a classic) but now he's been banned by CAS which is great. Considering what American sprinters usually get away with he gotta feel he was a bit "unlucky" (or sponsored by the wrong brand.)

Second Swiss athlete that gets banned due to doping after the 400 m hurdles runner  Kariem Hussein.

on biles - she might be just about holding it together thanks to a personal team of sports psychologists, normal psychologists, religious healers, witch doctors, family members whatever...none will them will be allowed to be there...it could be something as simple as she thrives off the crowd, their noise shuts the noise out of her head and gives her the adrenaline that she needs, now its an empty 20k seater stadium with the noises of coaches and other gymnasts echoing around, im sure she qualified for this pre corona in a full stadium, you can say she's experienced but at the same time maybe she's not, everything about this is different, she knows what an olympics is and this aint it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

All elite athletes would be better off if they deactivated their accounts.

Or just have someone run their public online presence for them. The problem is they go looking at comments and feedback and it makes them feel good when they get praise, when it turns and they get criticised then they dont know how to handle it. 

Social media is optional, not mandatory. 

Edited by villa89

Some of the comments I've seen about Biles are incredible.

People saying stuff like "if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen" or "she only pulls out when she's losing she's just a sore loser"

She's a 24 time gold medallist. I'm pretty sure she can "take the heat". And she's lost plenty of times before (not that they lost, they got silver) and never pulled out before.

It's also not new. The rumours about her suffering mental health issues have been around for a while. I saw some clips of her months ago in training where you could read her lips saying stuff like "I hate this so much" and "I don't want to be here" etc

You'd think one of the greatest gymnasts of all time would get a pass from some people! Especially one that was sexually abused by a doctor within the US Gymnastics organisation

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

Â