The 2021 Tokyo Summer Olympics

sne

How does the qualification work? I thought that the host nation got a free qualifier for each event (if they want it) so that'll more or less automatically ensure that they have more athletes 

After that I'd guess its just a pride thing giving them a huge boost resulting in lifetime performances, especially impressive with no crowds there, their position in the table will drop off once things like athletics and cycling start, they're a good tough target for GB

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

How does the qualification work? I thought that the host nation got a free qualifier for each event (if they want it) so that'll more or less automatically ensure that they have more athletes 

After that I'd guess its just a pride thing giving them a huge boost resulting in lifetime performances, especially impressive with no crowds there, their position in the table will drop off once things like athletics and cycling start, they're a good tough target for GB

I think it's a combination of the home advantage, and the money that nations pour in before they host a games.

There was a great 3 part documentary on the BBC recently called "Gold Rush". it documents everything from the failure of 1996 right up to the 2012 olympics. The way the country poured money in and brutally defunded sports that weren't meting expectations was impressive.

I guess the good thing we've done is managed to keep that going beyond one olympics

Yeah considering GB one 1 gold (one!) In 1996 their revival due to funding has been a stark difference. GB are the only team to have won a gold medal at every modern Olympics I believe although in 1904 the only gold medallist was an Irishman as GB didn't even send competitors 

So they have removed the helmets from the boxing at the Olympics, did not know this.

More cuts but less brain injuries apparently.

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, sne said:

So they have removed the helmets from the boxing at the Olympics, did not know this.

More cuts but less brain injuries apparently.

But keeping them for the women. Another sports authority with ears open and eyes to the ground 😐

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Watching the sprinters in qualifying. Nike runners flying 🤨

Unless you are running in NIKE you are not winning any medals, more or less.

Assume Jamaica are still using Puma so will be interesting to see how they fare. Still some great runners but now with a handicap.

Apparently BMX is in the Olympics and not for the first time.

This turning the Olympics into the X-Games is terrible idea that will backfire. Kids will not be bothered by the Olympics even if the add Fortnite or whatever they are into these days.

Wonder how many games away we are from having E-sports in the games.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Apparently BMX is in the Olympics and not for the first time.

This turning the Olympics into the X-Games is terrible idea that will backfire. Kids will not be bothered by the Olympics even if the add Fortnite or whatever they are into these days.

Wonder how many games away we are from having E-sports in the games.

I watched some of the BMX last night, it seems really strange that it’s an Olympic sport. Grown adults on what looks like kids bikes looks weird too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I watched some of the BMX last night, it seems really strange that it’s an Olympic sport. Grown adults on what looks like kids bikes looks weird too.

Yeah it's a silly sport.

35 minutes ago, sne said:

Assume Jamaica are still using Puma so will be interesting to see how they fare. Still some great runners but now with a handicap.

Puma clothes, Nike shoes. Fastest qualifiers ever this morning. Worst hidden secret ever

smZFs16.png

2qJighe.png

aA6wj33.png

Edited by Tegis
wrong pic
  • Thanks 1

The co-commentator in the BMX final really pissed me off. I know we like to see emotion but she was just screaming and cheering for the GB girl. That's not commentating

Just now, Tegis said:

Puma clothes, Nike shoes. Fastest qualifiers ever this morning. Worst hidden secret ever

smZFs16.png

2qJighe.png

smZFs16.png

Says it all really, even the ultimate Puma country home of Usain Bolt THE Puma legend is running in NIKE.

These shoes are cheat codes. Not sure what to compare it to but it's like carving skies against straight ones or wooden tennis rackets against carbon fiber. 

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Says it all really, even the ultimate Puma country home of Usain Bolt THE Puma legend is running in NIKE.

These shoes are cheat codes. Not sure what to compare it to but it's like carving skies against straight ones or wooden tennis rackets against carbon fiber. 

I guess the only way to level the field is for them all to run in Nike.

Just now, Genie said:

I guess the only way to level the field is for them all to run in Nike.

Yeah, but I rather they banned the shoes until they have sorted out the rules. All other brands are developing similar shoes with the carbon plate but they are years behind and the NIKE shoes should not be allowed as they work as springs.

Â