Languages, accents, dialects an' t'ing

mjmooney

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

I saw that, great programme.  Good to hear a Brummie accent on it as well! 

The Kinks are just brilliant.  

Oh god......what have I done? 

I know it’s your thing at the moment to sort of obsess over musical taste, but hopefully you know it doesn’t matter a toss?

Music is music.

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

This was one of the things I had in mind when I started the thread. I mostly prefer pop/rock music sung in 'American' (even by British artists) - it just seems more 'right' to me (like Shakespeare should always be done in a British accent). 

Of the above artists, I do like the Kinks and Small Faces, but I'm less fond of The Jam, Oasis, XTC or Dury, precisely because of the accents/vocal styles. Lily Allen is like fingernails down the proverbial blackboard, absolutely horrible. 

I like the songs of The Proclaimers, a lot, but I can't stand to listen to them, the way they lay on the Scots accents with a trowel. Likewise Welsh - same problem with Cerys Matthews. 

Ah, now Cerys’s use of the letter ‘r’ does verge on the gimmick, but bloody hell it works for me. Obviously unsurprisingly but I love hearing all the versions of Welsh in a song, be it the actual language or one of the strong regional Welsh accents, Gruff’s North Walian or GLC’s Newport or LlLl’s Kairdiffian. Also very taken at the moment with the rolling soft Valleys sounds of Patrick Jones. I don’t think any of that would be news to anyone.

Equally, Alabama 3 like to play around with accents. I’ve been listening to a lot of their ‘ideas’ recently, the stuff that didn’t make it on to albums and the properly dick around with all the accents, from Swansea, Glasgow, English, and southern U.S. drawl.

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

. I mostly prefer pop/rock music sung in 'American' (even by British artists) - it just seems more 'right' to me

I’m the opposite, singing in an American accent when not American often grates with me, though First Aid Kit don’t for some reason. Maybe it’s just Brits mimicking American that grates, perhaps because of awful 70s easy listening wallpaper rubbish. Gimme any of the Jam, Dury, etc that you mentioned over artificial faux American toss

• Like 1

On 16/07/2021 at 04:10, Wainy316 said:

Like how I see absolute vast landmass of the US accent wise.  

New York, Boston, Deep South.  The rest is just American.  The end.

I must disagree. Chicago, Baltimore, Upper Midwest (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan), Louisiana, all have distinctive accents too. To a lesser degree North Carolina, Philadelphia, Southern California, Texas. Then there's the Maine accent, which is sadly fading away.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Who knows what the Transatlantic accent is?

For me, it’s that unplacable, non accent. if it isn’t obvious twanging with some New Joysey, or a lilt of Scots or Cornish, if it’s just that none posh none RP stuff that the BBC love as they try to be classless, that mid, that’s generic pop song english.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

For me, it’s that unplacable, non accent. if it isn’t obvious twanging with some New Joysey, or a lilt of Scots or Cornish, if it’s just that none posh none RP stuff that the BBC love as they try to be classless, that mid, that’s generic pop song english.

So it's actually a dead accent, but it was popular up to the early 50s in America, spoken mostly by the upper classes (think FDR) and actors and news reel announcers. It was a generic East Coast accent with a noticeable English affectation. 

20 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Who knows what the Transatlantic accent is?

It's what British 'Americana' musicians (including me) sing in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

So it's actually a dead accent, but it was popular up to the early 50s in America, spoken mostly by the upper classes (think FDR) and actors and news reel announcers. It was a generic East Coast accent with a noticeable English affectation. 

It was a false accent though. It was taught in Private Education and Stage Schools. It combined RP with some American tones. Somebody or a group of people invented it. It was kind of the accent equivalent of Scientology.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

It was a false accent though. It was taught in Private Education and Stage Schools. It combined RP with some American tones. Somebody or a group of people invented it. It was kind of the accent equivalent of Scientology.

Ha, Basically this. 

People should pronounce place names properly. If you're a northerner, a short 'a' is perfectly OK for the bath in your bathroom, but the city in Somerset is pronounced 'barth'. And correspondingly, the Yorkshire town is 'CASSLE-ford', not 'CAR-selford'. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

People should pronounce place names properly. If you're a northerner, a short 'a' is perfectly OK for the bath in your bathroom, but the city in Somerset is pronounced 'barth'. And correspondingly, the Yorkshire town is 'CASSLE-ford', not 'CAR-selford'. 

I always thought the city was pronounced with a short A like the way I say it?

The long 'a' comes from Londoners, who a few hundred years ago thought it was trendy to start pronouncing it like that. It spread out across the south, but never stuck further north.

I found this out during an incredibly interesting talk by Jonnie Robinson, who is the lead curator for spoken English at the British Library. He had lots of recordings of different accents, gathered over decades, although as he is local (Sutton Coldfield i think, and i vaguely recall him mentioning he is a Villa fan), there was particular focus on the Midlands. The Midlands is also a massive melting pot of accents, so its probably the most interesting area to study.  

One of the other interesting things he mentioned was use of the word 'like'; people often think its a modern youth thing to throw loads of likes into a sentence, but it goes back to at least the 19th Century. It's just where in the sentence the 'likes' are used that is different now. He also said 'Americanisation' is not really a big thing overall, it's hardly had any impact overall on vocabulary over here, although people often think it has.

Loads of good stuff on the British Library website:

https://www.bl.uk/british-accents-and-dialects

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bickster said:

I like XTC. There’s not many accents I don’t like tbh but Geordie irks me and Maximo Park sing like Geordies.

Yer man from Maximo Park is a Smoggy (Teessider). The Teesside accent is quite different to a Geordie accent, and often it's said it sounds like a mix of Yorkshire and Scouse (I think there was an influx of Scousers to Teesside at some point). 

The North East has a lot of different accents actually. There's little phrases that people say when they're trying to take off each other's accents. Teesside, you'd say, "perple werk shert". Wearside, you'd say, "whees keys are these". 

I love some of the words and phrases I've picked up from living up here. Some of my favourite would be:

Nee bosh - No worries

Reet canny - Very good

Scran/bait - Food

Gan radged or gan radgie - Gone crazy

Mortal - Drunk

Workie ticket - Pushing your luck

Rarf - Idiot 

Ding - Idiot 

Rarfy ding - Absolute Idiot 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

On the whole I agree with you but it's only pronouced Ba(r)th because they have ba(r)throoms too. They are wrong.

Bath is called Bath because of the Roman Baths, they aren't Roman Ba(r)ths

If Jacob-Rees-Mogg calls it Ba(r)th then thats further grist to the mill. It's a mixture of RP and cider addled yokel, it''s just wrong

• Like 1

South of me, all broadly what I call brummy. North of me I can spot Stoke, Derby, Stone, pretty much take a fairly accurate guess at any northern accent. Birmingham and the west midlands. Nope all sounds the same. 
Then you have Telford and Newport, I can pick out the differences between them, but also can spot a Shrewsbury/Whitchurch/Wem accent. 
Stoke in particular is an easy one to spot and differentiate between there and Leek, Congleton etc.  

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

South of me, all broadly what I call brummy. North of me I can spot Stoke, Derby, Stone, pretty much take a fairly accurate guess at any northern accent. Birmingham and the west midlands. Nope all sounds the same. 
Then you have Telford and Newport, I can pick out the differences between them, but also can spot a Shrewsbury/Whitchurch/Wem accent. 
Stoke in particular is an easy one to spot and differentiate between there and Leek, Congleton etc.  

That's pretty good. 

Â