Languages, accents, dialects an' t'ing

mjmooney

16 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

When the Mrs and I went to Brum for the Villa game,I actually asked 3 different people how to get to the Bullring and I couldent understand any of them.The Mrs asked the next person and she had no trouble translating his directions. 

My dad struggles a lot when I drag him to Birmingham. I can't remember ever having problems with either brummie or scouse accents. Them understanding me with my "Inga from Sweden" tendencies is another matter.
Met a very north of Newcastle bloke the other year at a wedding though, that was a different kettle of fish. Loads of shouting and hand-waving but I think we got there in the end. He got me a half Guinnes - half cider drink though. That was a lost in translation moment.

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i would lazily say that proper black country has more colloquialisms than brummies

i swear they just make words up

Still got your Kiddy accent?

1 minute ago, MCU said:

Still got your Kiddy accent?

I've got a kiddy / black country accent thanks to working in dudley and wolverhampton for 15 years like

kiddy is a bit of a mixture like, you can normally get a rough idea of who works in worcester and who is in the BC / brum, my uncle's family is all from smethwick so my cousins have a distinct accent to me, there's a lot of influences on a kiddy accent like

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I've got a kiddy / black country accent thanks to working in dudley and wolverhampton for 15 years like

kiddy is a bit of a mixture like, you can normally get a rough idea of who works in worcester and who is in the BC / brum, my uncle's family is all from smethwick so my cousins have a distinct accent to me, there's a lot of influences on a kiddy accent like

I love how Worcester has such a mix of accents 🤣

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i would lazily say that proper black country has more colloquialisms than brummies

i swear they just make words up

Defo.  Brummies just start at a pitch, either dip up or down in the middle, then finish on the same starting pitch, making for quite a monotonous tone.

Yam Yams make words up;

Wor it - wasn't it

Shor it - Shouldn't it 

Cor it - Can't it

Cut - Canal

Spake - speak

Kaylied - drunk

Gew - go 

ay it - isn't it

"he bay do thet!" - He can't do that!

Bostin - that's great

wench - a woman 

fittle - food

y'ow'm yampy! - You're crazy

Ow' many rounds yow want? - How many piece of bread you want? 

Gambole - Forward roll

I'll gi' yow a lampin'! - I'm gonna beat you up (lampin' = beating)

Y'ow'm cack handed - You're left handed

Y'ow'm half soaked - you're a bit thick

Stop blartin'! - stop crying

Ow' bin ya? - How are you? 

That's just a list from the top of my head (or bonce, as a Yam Yam would say). 

• Like 3

Always hated the brummie accent , makes people sound a bit slow  

but for equality I also dislike the Geordie accent ,  (too Scottish) Yorkshire accent  ( too northern) , Scouse accent ( too annoying ) , London accent ( too fake) , Manc accent ( trying to hard to be cool) 

Prime Home counties Queens English or GTFO 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Defo.  Brummies just start at a pitch, either dip up or down in the middle, then finish on the same starting pitch, making for quite a monotonous tone.

Yam Yams make words up;

Wor it - wasn't it

Shor it - Shouldn't it 

Cor it - Can't it

Cut - Canal

Spake - speak

Kaylied - drunk

Gew - go 

ay it - isn't it

"he bay do thet!" - He can't do that!

Bostin - that's great

wench - a woman 

fittle - food

y'ow'm yampy! - You're crazy

Ow' many rounds yow want? - How many piece of bread you want? 

Gambole - Forward roll

I'll gi' yow a lampin'! - I'm gonna beat you up (lampin' = beating)

Y'ow'm cack handed - You're left handed

Y'ow'm half soaked - you're a bit thick

Stop blartin'! - stop crying

Ow' bin ya? - How are you? 

That's just a list from the top of my head (or bonce, as a Yam Yam would say). 

Kali! Forgot about that. Comes from Kali sherbert. If yowm kalied yowm bladdered

• Like 1

Can't remember if I've done this before or not but I was literally amazed a few years ago when some people I spoke to had no idea what a Bob Owler was! 

50 minutes ago, blandy said:

We will do, but it'll be difficult.

I'm aware we're off topic as @mjmooney forbade grammar chat, but though expressing future time with will is sometimes referred to as 'the future simple tense', it isn't actually a tense as tenses are about verb inflections.

Sorry, boring I know, but bit of a hobby horse . . .

I have what I think is a faint black country accent, but I think 'proper' black country people would say I have no accent at all, while people from other parts of the country tend to act like it's stronger than I think it is.

Moving to Manchester for uni and to Asia for all my 20s definitely reduced it though.

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm aware we're off topic as @mjmooney forbade grammar chat, but though expressing future time with will is sometimes referred to as 'the future simple tense', it isn't actually a tense as tenses are about verb inflections.

Sorry, boring I know, but bit of a hobby horse . . .

it was a crap wordplay gag on my part - will/in future, difficult/tense.

• Like 1

I quite like all accents, they’re just more interesting than that mid Atlantic / BBC ‘ordinary’ that gives you no clues as to somebody’s back story.

Yeah, some of them can be difficult if they’re not local or familiar to you, but you should be able to tune in to someone fairly quickly if you’re having a conversation.

I wouldn’t say I have a favourite, or a least favourite. 

Quite like spotting common words in other languages too, found a comparison of one, two, three, four, in various languages the other day and it was interesting to see how they clearly had a common ancestor but had morphed over time.

Embrace the difference.

Oh, and I like quirky regional foods too, happy to eat black pudding or haggis, pie and liquor, oatcakes. Bring it all on. Resist the generic homogenous one size fits all Asda Amazon future.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

Growing up in Blackheath everyone spake like this

Black Country dialect isn’t all that far removed from Barnsley dialect. They make up words, mix their vowels up and add extra syllables where they’re not needed. 

This sums them up quite well…

Â