U23 Development League 2021/2022

BOF

Friday's stats updated on the front page. A new name in the matchday squad is 16 year old English midfielder Finley Munroe. Signed from Chelsea earlier this year.

• Thanks 1

Hey guys, Dutch fan here.

Any youth 'experts' here who can tell me how Swinkels, and especially Bogarde are doing? I was a big fan of Bogarde here at Feyenoord Rotterdam, for his age I thought he was so mature with full control on defensive midfield, but I see over there he only plays centre back now in the U23? This is where he played at Villa U18 also?

Cheers!

49 minutes ago, VanGaalsOrangeArmy said:

Any youth 'experts' here who can tell me how Swinkels, and especially Bogarde are doing? I was a big fan of Bogarde here at Feyenoord Rotterdam, for his age I thought he was so mature with full control on defensive midfield, but I see over there he only plays centre back now in the U23? This is where he played at Villa U18 also?

Cheers!

For me I like the look of both of them, but especially Bogarde. He's very calm on the ball. I'm just sad we have changed the visa rules so we won't be able to pick up any more like these two in the future.

52 minutes ago, VanGaalsOrangeArmy said:

Cheers!

From what i understand Villa want him to play centrehalf and expand his abilities. I believe it was part of the presentation they did to him where they showed him his weaknesses and how they were going to work on them . Problem is that we dont have much real quality at centrehalf whereas we have a shit ton of central midfielders with great potential.i think he is extremely highly rated and one of the reasons why we loaned a defender rather than bought one this summer .

Bogarde has done very well, he came into our U18s and played just seven games before being promoted promoted to the U23s when he was still sixteen. He played in midfield for the U18s, and started off in that position for the U23s as well, but was eventually switched to central defence, he's done very well in both positions, so whilst he's being used in defence now I wouldn't be surprised if we used him in midfield again at some point.

Swinkels wasn't promoted to the U23s as quickly as Bogarde, it's only been this season that he's become a regular at that level, but as a seventeen year old he's still doing well to be playing U23 football already.

Both of them made their debuts off the bench for the Netherlands U18 national team last Monday.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, useless said:

Bogarde has done very well, he came into our U18s and played just seven games before being promoted promoted to the U23s when he was still sixteen. He played in midfield for the U18s, and started off in that position for the U23s as well, but was eventually switched to central defence, he's done very well in both positions, so whilst he's being used in defence now I wouldn't be surprised if we used him in midfield again at some point.

Swinkels wasn't promoted to the U23s as quickly as Bogarde, it's only been this season that he's become a regular at that level, but as a seventeen year old he's still doing well to be playing U23 football already.

Both of them made their debuts off the bench for the Netherlands U18 national team last Monday.

Hey guys, thanks for your reactions! Yes, I was quite surprised tho that they weren't in the starting 11 last monday, but hey, we beat Italy with 5-0, so can't say anything against the coach decision :) Good to hear they seem to do pretty well then! I follow the Dutch youth a lot, and Feyenoord youth especially, since Im from Rotterdam and live pretty close to the stadium and youth facility, saw van Persie come and go for example :) Always pity when our top youngsters leave to Premier League clubs, it happens more and more, and younger and younger, but unfortunately thats our destiny as a small country :( From many players the last, lets say, decade, I was the most dissapointed to see Bogarde go, as I said before, and one of you confirms, he is so calm on the ball, so mature. I had games where I just sat there, didn't really pay attention to the game but just followed him, I was always very impressed. And sometimes made me laugh, cause he has this strange and funny body language if you ask me. Kinda looked like he was authistic or something, haha, in a positive way I mean. He looks dreamy but same time know EXACTLY what do to, in almost a nonchalant way. (sorry if I make mistakes in english language). Bleh, wish we still had him! And then a year later, kinda similar player like him but even younger, went from us to Ajax, Good Lord...  Appiah his name, you guys should get him too, so Ajax won't get stronger, haha

Cheers!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

For me I like the look of both of them, but especially Bogarde. He's very calm on the ball. I'm just sad we have changed the visa rules so we won't be able to pick up any more like these two in the future.

Can you tell me anything about these visa rules? It has to do with brexit or? To protect homegrown players? Any difference for EU or non-EU players? And these rules are for youngsters like him too? He cant be seen as a homegrown players at this young age still?

14 minutes ago, VanGaalsOrangeArmy said:

Can you tell me anything about these visa rules? It has to do with brexit or? To protect homegrown players? Any difference for EU or non-EU players? And these rules are for youngsters like him too? He cant be seen as a homegrown players at this young age still?

Yeah, it's a Brexit thing. British football clubs cannot sign players who are under 18, unless they have British or Irish nationality; Swinkels and Bogarde were both under 18 when we signed them. It is possible to sign overseas players between 18 and 21, but they need to have played some first team football. I wrote about these rules when they were introduced here (though the post is mainly focusing on the effect on transfers of older players, but it does have a link to the FA's guidelines if you'd like a fuller look):

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, it's a Brexit thing. British football clubs cannot sign players who are under 18, unless they have British or Irish nationality; Swinkels and Bogarde were both under 18 when we signed them. It is possible to sign overseas players between 18 and 21, but they need to have played some first team football. I wrote about these rules when they were introduced here (though the post is mainly focusing on the effect on transfers of older players, but it does have a link to the FA's guidelines if you'd like a fuller look):

Ah! Thanks! Well, I understand you see this as a sad thing, but of course you will understand, to us, this rule is a blessing! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

@VanGaalsOrangeArmy That's true, it should allow Dutch clubs to keep players for longer, which should be good for the game in Holland hopefully.

For sure, altho 18 is still too young,, but yea, can't really stop it from happening to lose your best players. And of course the big clubs will find a way, make deals with smaller European clubs, as some kind of satelite club, we know how it works. But yea, would be better for our game and competition here indeed if we were able to keep our best players a bit longer. Of course we Dutchies have a certain view on the game and a whole own identity and dna our players grow up with, I want us to stay loyal to that, but it's hard when our top players leave younger and younger and with that, won't develop under the Dutch school

• Like 1

On 07/09/2021 at 11:06, BOF said:

Upcoming round of fixtures

Fri 10/09
13:30 - sha(14)     1-0 Sunderland(9)
19:00 - Burnley(13) 1-1 Wolves(8)
19:00 - Fulham(2)   3-0 Southampton(12)
19:00 - Norwich(5)  4-2 Aston Villa(2)

Sun 12/09
14:00 - Reading(4)  0-2 Notts Forest(11)

Mon 13/09
19:00 - Middlesbrough(10) 2-0 Stoke City(6)
19:00 - West Brom(7)      2-0 Newcastle(1)