U23 Development League 2021/2022

BOF

A strong U23 side beat Hednesford 8-1 last night, don't know the scorers but the team was:

Marschall, Kesler Hayden, Chrisene, Appiah, Feeney, Lindley, Wright, Raikhy, Brad Young, Barry, Sewell

Subs: Zych, Archer, Hart, Swinkles, Tommi O'Reilly, Thorndike, Reddin, Abldeen-Goodridge

Thorndike is Finley Thorndike who has just left West Brom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

A strong U23 side beat Hednesford 8-1 last night, don't know the scorers but the team was:

Marschall, Kesler Hayden, Chrisene, Appiah, Feeney, Lindley, Wright, Raikhy, Brad Young, Barry, Sewell

Subs: Zych, Archer, Hart, Swinkles, Tommi O'Reilly, Thorndike, Reddin, Abldeen-Goodridge

Am I right in saying that was Josh Feeney’s first match for us? He’s only 16 years old and he’s skipped the youth team, he must be good. Is that Cameron Archer on the bench too? He seems to be around for a long time 

13 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Whenever I’ve seen Ben Chrisene play for our u18s or u23s, he’s been playing at left back, not left wing. He’s quite a natural footballer and good technically so he could play at left wing but I don’t recall seeing him play there

I've seen him play out wide a few times. I'm pretty sure he played in midfield in the youth cup final, but I can't remember whether he was out wide or central.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I've seen him play out wide a few times. I'm pretty sure he played in midfield in the youth cup final, but I can't remember whether he was out wide or central.

Thanks for correcting me, my memory is terrible, what do you think of him as a player?

Yes Archer was on the bench according to the teamsheet, he's still only nineteen. Feeney played for the U18s at the weekend against Oxford, don't know the score from that game but seems he's done well to have got a game for the U23s aleady. Josh Webb in the Hednesford side is the same Josh Webb that came through our academy and played in the NextGen final, apparently still works for us as a coach.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Thanks for correcting me, my memory is terrible, what do you think of him as a player?

I don't think it's necessarily because they see him as a winger, just that he is going to be far more attacking than Revan so pushed him forwards.

He seems like a decent, tidy player. A way off from showing anything that makes me think he should be promoted, but with some of the older players moving up it will be a good chance for him to take more responsibility for the u23s this year.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I don't think it's necessarily because they see him as a winger, just that he is going to be far more attacking than Revan so pushed him forwards.

He seems like a decent, tidy player. A way off from showing anything that makes me think he should be promoted, but with some of the older players moving up it will be a good chance for him to take more responsibility for the u23s this year.

Is that Seb Revan that you’re referring to there? Some just take to it and adapt like Jack Grealish, it’s rare and of course, Grealish is special but he’s shown it can be done. Let’s hope that some of the new crop can follow his lead

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Is that Seb Revan that you’re referring to there? Some just take to it and adapt like Jack Grealish, it’s rare and of course, Grealish is special but he’s shown it can be done. Let’s hope that some of the new crop can follow his lead

I guess it would be Seb.

I agree it's massive to have a player like that come through and hopefully they also see the work it requires to do it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Unused Sub said:

Excellent. Thanks BOF.

I assume Reading away will be rearranged at some point as it clashes with the EFL trophy.

Yeah I noticed the 30 hour gap between kickoffs. I guess they'll either re-arrange or send pre-dominantly different teams to both. Perhaps Papa John will get a younger contingent. I dunno.

On 27/07/2021 at 06:26, useless said:

Wright and Barry definitely scored according to their instas

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, useless said:

According to the West Brom site Iroegbunam's birthdate is 30/06/2003.

I was getting it from fmtransferupdate so hopefully their OS is more reliable.

On 26/07/2021 at 16:45, sir_gary_cahill said:

Whenever I’ve seen Ben Chrisene play for our u18s or u23s, he’s been playing at left back, not left wing. He’s quite a natural footballer and good technically so he could play at left wing but I don’t recall seeing him play there

His principal position at Exeter was centre midfield. But because he's technically strong he could probably play in many different positions. I guess his main career won't be at left back; but its a really good education to play different positions and also in the 'what the team needs is more important than your preference for a particular position' 

• Thanks 1

It fell apart because we started promoting them to the U23s, but up until the new year last season our U18 league team were top of the table and looking like favorites to win the league that side that did so well while they were together will I think give us a good indication of how our U23s will look next season...

Marschall, Ealing, Appiah, Swinkels, Chrisene, Bogarde, Raikhy, Lindley, Reddin, Sewell, Young...

Was pretty much the most frequent starting eleven, Iroegbunam will obviously come in, the likes of the likes of Hart, Afoka, Tommi O'Reilly, Aaron O'Reilly, Shakpoke when fit, will all be involved as well, and some of the U18s such as Patterson, Feeney, Ajani, or any others that do well at that level could be fast tracked into the U23s.

Basically we've got a lot of options.

1 hour ago, messi11 said:

What will our team be for the this season?
Barry, Kessler, Revan and properly Ramsey, Young will all go out on loan

Kesler has already gone out on loan to Swindon.

Barry has gone to Ipswich today.