• Sainsbury
    • Waitrose
    • Lidl or Aldi
    • Somerfield
    • Budgen
    • Co-op
    • Spar

Waitrose obviously, reasuringly expensive

Anyone who votes Tesco's is liable to food poisoning as they clearly don't realise they repackage the dates an their meat products after the sell by date has gone, that and I once found maggots in my mince

The man speaks sense. By far the best wine and booze selection...

Cracking wine section.

Also their range of meats is the best of any supermarket although I am partial to a M&S shop every now and then.

Morrisons. I used to not like them as they seemed a bit depressing and drab. But then I compared prices with my alternative (Sainsburys) - massive difference. And over the last couple of years Morrsions have improved their ranges a lot - their fresh produce is better than Sainsburys. The stores vary wildly, some are still crap, but my local one is excellent.

That said, they are local here (Leeds) so there are a lot more of them than any other. I don't like Asda, I hate the Tescopoly, and Waitrose and Marks are just ridiculously overpriced.

Ken Morrison all the way for me.

go to sainsburys for food & asda if need kids clothing nappies etc.
which is worrying as you are a single bloke living by yourself .................... :wink:

Morrisons for me (Lichfield). Used to be Asda at Minworth but not any more. Don't like Tesco at all. Quite like Sainsburys but haven't been in a while.

There is a Waitrose right by me (Mere Green) but not been in yet.

I find english supermarket food very poor, and have done for the past 10 years. Would rather get meat from a butchers, veg from a market etc, Getting the odd chicken maybe ok, but getting a decent steak or leg of lamb?

Agreed that waitrose comes out better than most, but there's a lot of tosh in those stores.

Support yout local retailer.

totally agree Gringo, I get my meat from the local butchers and whilst price is slightly higher the quality is far far far better, notably in all meats far less watery !

as for the veggies, the majority s from the lcal greengrocers (owned by teh same butcher and clevely call Melon n cauli get it ???) far better produce, pick your own and no horrible and unwanted packaging

Asda I must admit is excellent value for clothes, of course most from China and funnily enough love the bread. But when you go to say Madrid and browse the shops and markets there you can see how we have been sold a con

Asda is by far the best value for money.... really should get my vote. But the shelves are always empty.

I've got 2 in a 2 mile radius. But to get a weeks shopping I have a 8 mile round trip to Great Bridge... the only one thgat regularily stocks the shelves!

I aternate my weekly shop between Sainsburys and Tesco (for a bit of a change) - but if I need something in between, I usually nip to Morrisons from work(all at Shirley) - I like Sainsburys the best of the three but they are all OK for different things. Occasionally go to Asda too but the other side of that big Island is a bit too near Blooz ground for me!!

I do a fortnightly shop in Lidl, Morrisons and the Co-op.

Anything on the days in between is bought from Somerfield or Waitrose (the two within walking distance).

Basically, whichever shop is cheapest on a particular product (pennies are tight and there are some ludicrous discrepancies!).

Won't buy meat from Waitrose - absolutely appalling quality (for beef especially) and very poor value for money.

Hmm, sad to say this is an area of expertise for me;

Tesco - mega stores are too big and smaller shops are too small. They sometimes move all the stock to different parts of the store to make you hunt around which is the last thing I want to do. Also stock lots of own brand wine which is mostly pretty dodgy. Rating - 3

Asda - stores tend to be a bit bigger than I like (takes longer to get the shop done) and they mix up food with other products on adjacent isles. Tends to attract 'day out' shoppers who amble around the store and have long discussions about what brand to buy while straddling the isle with their trolley. Nothing better to do with their lives I guess. On the plus side the range is good and its lowest price overall. Rating 6

Sainsburys - all stores are laid out alike and logically so its easy to find stuff and quick to shop and you don't miss items out. Medium sized stores mostly which I like. On the down side they're high end for price and they have conveyors both sides of the tills which puts you under a lot of pressure when packing - they'd get a higher score if they sorted that out.Rating 7

Morrisons. Stores are laid out sensibly and the store sizes are good. Range is decent and only a little behind Asda on price. No downside I can find. Rating 9

Â