Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

its why i love penalties, ultimate test in football, its not just technique, all of them should be able to do what harry maguire did but then you throw in the confidence / arrogance and then balance that with the nerves and all the pressure that they come under and then the mind games from the likes of martinez, its brilliant, its cruel dont get me wrong but its still brilliant

the best example i can give is belotti, his penalty vs spain was quality, blasted it low to the keepers right hand side and hit the side netting, keeper went the right way and wasnt getting anywhere near it, his penalty in the final was shit, complete different technique

would also say that the switzerland 2 shoot outs and to a certain extent the jorginho save showed that keepers were learning and knew what some players were going to do which is another element to it all

its much much better than ET which for me is just about fitness and squad management 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I’m sure there used to be a rule about penalty run ups being a consistent run and not stop start, maybe it got scrapped?

I’m not a fan of them, or the one Bruno does by jumping before the kick. 

The jump is still constant movement.  I don't like them, but it's clever by the penalty taker to be able to slow down their run up, throw in a jump, watch the goalkeeper for any movement and also place the penalty in such a short space of time.

Of course, not completely infallible - Pickford did well against Jorginho (wasn't there some stat about him never having missed a pen?).

FWIW, Rashford's pen is obviously poor but ONLY because he fluffed it off target.  Everything else he did was completely spot on.  Fine margins!

• Like 1

On 12/07/2021 at 09:46, HanoiVillan said:

LOL, that's just down the road from me. What have you seen?

Sorry Mate only just seen this. If you haven’t seen it already:-

Gammon

A FIGHT that broke out at a Wollaston pub just hours before England took to the pitch for the Euro 2020 final was "not football related" - landlady Lisa Sutherland has stressed today.

Dramatic video footage of the brawl outside The Britannia Sports Bar was shared on social media with many people blaming the combination of football and alcohol for the incident.

But licensee Lisa, who runs the pub with partner Wayne Etheridge, said the incident on the car park outside involved "two groups of people who had issues outside the venue" - and that it had nothing to do with the impending historic European Cup final which later saw England defeated by Italy in a penalty shoot out.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

FWIW, Rashford's pen is obviously poor but ONLY because he fluffed it off target.  Everything else he did was completely spot on.  Fine margins!

thats where i am too

from the replays ive seen too it looks like when he contacts the ball donnarumma has gone, he's moved too far to his left to ever recover and dive right but rashfords head from behind suggest that his eyes are firmly fixed on the keeper, he's not looking at the ball or the goal

i think rashfords is over confidence 

It's such a disadvantage to go second in a shootout (reflected by the win stats).  To be faced with that position of having to source during any sudden death element.

I saw England won the coin toss and chose to kick at the England fans.  Maybe we should've just gone first.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I saw England won the coin toss and chose to kick at the England fans.  Maybe we should've just gone first.

Definitely. I'm surprised with all the talk of how in depth our preparations had been we managed to overlook this. Going first is far more of an advantage than having your fans behind the goal based on historical evidence.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sne said:

Think there is 1 toss for at which end and another one for who goes first.

This is correct. First coin toss which we won was for choice of end. Second coin toss which we lost was for first penalty taker. I’m sure we’d have gone first if we had the option.

• Like 1

Honestly thought so many keepers would get called out for creeping off their line but they all seem to have mastered keeping one foot on the line as they start to dive to the side instead of the natural momentum to move a step forward. Look back to some of the CL final in 2000s and likes of Dida and Dudek were saving penalties pretty much on six yard box.

Even at the start of the season Bruno Fernandes had two of his penalties saved but he got chance to retake them so now get the boresome stat he's only ever missed one penalty in his career.

One thing I've never got from players nervous about taking penalties...why not just hit it straight down the middle? 9/10 the keeper will always dive one way unless it's obvious in the run up player will hit it straight so I'd have tried to have got that message to Saka to play safe at such a critical time given he was way off hitting the corner with the side he placed it towards.

Can remember Milner hitting a perfect one when we got that penalty a few minutes before the end against SHA. Normally he'd run up and smash into a corner but he took it middle at medium height.

Bernadeschi used the method although Pickford could've kicked it away if he hadn't committed so soon to a dive so ideally you get a bit of height on them rather than it trickling along the ground.

Think Tammy also did it in the shootout v West Brom IIRC. Deeney also has a ridiculous record on penalties, infact keepers are just standing still when he runs up to smash them and they still can't save them.

Edited by VillaChris

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

The jump is still constant movement.  I don't like them, but it's clever by the penalty taker to be able to slow down their run up, throw in a jump, watch the goalkeeper for any movement and also place the penalty in such a short space of time.

Of course, not completely infallible - Pickford did well against Jorginho (wasn't there some stat about him never having missed a pen?).

He missed in league cup final shoot out in 2019. And a couple last season.

43 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He missed in league cup final shoot out in 2019. And a couple last season.

would need to see pickford again to see if he just went the right way and got a bit of luck, maybe hard to call it luck because id guess the skill for pickford is not moving at all on the line during the run up and then still knowing that he will go for the corner low down so its not just a case of picking a side its making sure you get all the way across requiring great athleticism 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

would need to see pickford again to see if he just went the right way and got a bit of luck, maybe hard to call it luck because id guess the skill for pickford is not moving at all on the line during the run up and then still knowing that he will go for the corner low down so its not just a case of picking a side its making sure you get all the way across requiring great athleticism 

Yeah his penalty save was great. You can't ask your keeper to do much more than save 2 penalties. Some like Berardi's first was a shit pen but pickford just went the wrong way. 

A couple of days later its really hard to take. We effectively started the game 1-0 up. I have a bad feeling about our chance of going far in the world cup. Its too easy to draw a dangerous team in the second round like a Spain etc and we'll get turned over. 

Edited by VillaJ100
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Its too easy to draw a dangerous team in the second round like a Spain etc and we'll get turned over. 

This is the thing for me, we still don’t look like beating the top teams. 

25 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Yeah his penalty save was great. You can't ask your keeper to do much more than save 3 penalties. Some like Berardi's first was a shit pen but pickford just went the wrong way. 

A couple of days later its really hard to take. We effectively started the game 1-0 up. I have a bad feeling about our chance of going far in the world cup. Its too easy to draw a dangerous team in the second round like a Spain etc and we'll get turned over. 

Two days on I feel we missed such a great opportunity. I think Southgate is very pragmatic and obviously picked his penalty takers based on data and training. He failed to take into account human emotions. Just read what Rashford said and he was in no fit state to take a penalty. He was always going to miss. Sancho hadn't kicked a ball so how can you expect him in all that pressure to take take a penalty. I'd have backed Henderson and Walker over those two and I know Henderson missed his last one for England. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is the thing for me, we still don’t look like beating the top teams. 

Yeah like don't get me wrong but we had gone life or death with Denmark in the semi. They were highly motivated and are no slouches but you'd have thought Italy would have done them 3-0 probably 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Everyone knows Jorginho favourite side is the other one and I was amazed the Spain keeper didn't go there in the last round of penalties 

I think Pickford did his research and knew Jorginho would second guess himself and go other side for once.

36 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Yeah like don't get me wrong but we had gone life or death with Denmark in the semi. They were highly motivated and are no slouches but you'd have thought Italy would have done them 3-0 probably 

Yep. Got passed Denmark by diving for a pen that was saved and only came back to Kane because it was so badly hit the keeper thought he could hold on to it.

Â