Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

I like Sterling. Think he's a good player. When he runs with the ball, he attracts players. Sadly his decision making is poor. He should pass when he attracts the players, instead he does the same trick and loses the ball. 

Not holding my breath, but I'm hoping that Gareth realises that you can use other formations and tactics to play different teams and that Mount isn't the Lord and savior. 

• Like 1

I hate that football rewards (and punishes) managers on what they’ve done, and not what they will do. 

If the FA believe Southgate can take the next step and make this team even better then he should stay. Fair enough. 
But if they don’t, they shouldn’t keep him just because he got us to the final. 

If a better manager can win us a tournament then so be it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I hate that football rewards (and punishes) managers on what they’ve done, and not what they will do. 

If the FA believe Southgate can take the next step and make this team even better then he should stay. Fair enough. 

The big question is will he and can he learn from where we went wrong in this tournament? If not, we should move onto the next candidate.

Sadly I cannot see Southgate changing his cautious approach to games and sacrificing attacking personnel for pragmatic tactics. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Tbf they probably do believe he can win the next tournament. Like most other people they've probably bought into the hype.

I just noticed on Facebook that a big group of chavvy types from round here had a nice trip down to Wembley for the final.

They posted the night before that they were going and on the mini-bus and inside the ground.

I find it hard to believe they ALL managed to get tickets for various reasons. Which makes me think that they were part of a group that possibly had pre-planned to storm the stadium and force their way in.

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think the opposite 

Rashford has sold the keeper, waited for him to move to his left and then confidently put the ball to his right... I think it's over confidence that's done him, he'd done the hard bit and then **** up just rolling the ball in to the net

Sancho and saka were both poor penalties, height, power, distance from the keeper, they're text book bad penalties 

Surprisingly so was belottis and he hit a great one vs Spain 

Totally disagree on the Rashford penalty. 

He crumbled under his own pressure generated from that stupid run up. By the time the keeper dived he was already at the ball and had psyched himself out so he wasn't even capable of rolling the ball into a now open net. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Totally disagree on the Rashford penalty. 

He crumbled under his own pressure generated from that stupid run up. By the time the keeper dived he was already at the ball and had psyched himself out so he wasn't even capable of rolling the ball into a now open net. 

I think the goalie dived out of boredom. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not slating him but Rashford's was the key penalty as the third often is. Score that and we'd go on to win. The miss pushed all the momentum back to Italy and the pressure was heaped on our next takers and they crumbled.

• Like 3

The time I thought Rashford's penalty was far too cocky and looking back it still looks that way.

However, he did totally outfox Donarumma but unfortunately outfoxed himself too.

Shame it was such a crucial penalty, yes they all are but the pressure from that miss killed England.

Hopefully these misses won't hang upon the shoulders of Rashford, Sancho and Sake as it did to Southgate. But I have a feeling it will haunt them forever.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, theboyangel said:

The big question is will he and can he learn from where we went wrong in this tournament? If not, we should move onto the next candidate.

Sadly I cannot see Southgate changing his cautious approach to games and sacrificing attacking personnel for pragmatic tactics. 

I doubt it. Italy game was very similar to Croatia game in how it developed apart from the extra time winner. So 3 year span between two massive knock out matches dosen't suggest they'll be a radical change in game approach in 18 months time for world cup.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

The man that thought Chiellini everything he knew, I forgot he actually played with Mellberg. He looked about 45 back then as well ;) 

olof mellberg giorgio chiellini torino 2009 serie a football championship  2008-2009 torino-juventus Stock Photo - Alamy

I forgot we sold Olaf to Juve. Do Juve fans love him like we do?

I’d like to think at the very, very highest level someone could hit the corner with enough power that it would take a miracle for any keeper to save it.

The stupid run ups designed to get the keeper to move first should be unnecessary shouldn’t they?

Like Kane and Maguire did, do your own thing, forget about the keeper, either hard into the corner or down the middle of you’re feeling particularly brave. The who will blink first style will more often than not lead to embarrassment.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d like to think at the very, very highest level someone could hit the corner with enough power that it would take a miracle for any keeper to save it.

The stupid run ups designed to get the keeper to move first should be unnecessary shouldn’t they?

Like Kane and Maguire did, do your own thing, forget about the keeper, either hard into the corner or down the middle of you’re feeling particularly brave. The who will blink first style will more often than not lead to embarrassment.

If you do that the keeper has to make a ridiculously good sane and if he does then fair play to him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

The stuttering run up seems to be a hugely effective method except when England try it. People were complaining it was unfair on the keeper earlier in the tournament, which I agree with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Panto_Villan said:

The stuttering run up seems to be a hugely effective method except when England try it. People were complaining it was unfair on the keeper earlier in the tournament, which I agree with.

I’m sure there used to be a rule about penalty run ups being a consistent run and not stop start, maybe it got scrapped?

I’m not a fan of them, or the one Bruno does by jumping before the kick. 

Â