Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

8 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Do they not practice penalties anymore? This whole tournament as been filled with some of the worst penalty takers ever. 

It's this frigging fashion for the daft short run ups, trying to psych the keeper out, wait for him to dive then put it the other side.

So so many times they arrive at the ball and the keepers kept his head then it's the penalty taker who panics and just rolls it at the keeper or like Rashford puts it wide under pressure. 

If I was manager the entire penalty strategy would be quick long run up and hit it with power.  I'd love to see the stats but I bet those penalty takers are always more successful than the daft slow run up merchants. 

It never used to happen and as you've said so many poor penalties this tournament and most of them have been that kind. 

• Like 4

It's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight that England did this that or the other wrong but everyone could see after 55 minutes, not after the event, that England were far too deep and negative really. The played a good opening 20 minutes off football and were lively in extra time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I put no blame on any player that misses a penalty. 

Good job my Dad wasn't alive to see it, he used to say there was no excuse for a professional footballer to miss a penalty. Smash it down the middle, goalies always go to the side, and in the unlikely case where they stand up, if you clearing in the woods it hard enough they can't hold it. NEVER try to place it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Nah. Very harsh. He came on, with no warm up, with no feel for the ball, and had the courage to step up and take one.

Ultimately, with penalties, someone has to lose, it's a very cruel way to lose a final. Anyone with the bottle to step up and take one deserves credit.

That’s fine if you’re going to come up, pick a spot and smack it one. If you’re going to piss about and prance up to the ball you’d better make sure you’re hitting the target 

Just now, PaulC said:

I'm an England fan but italy deserved to win. They were the much better team. Pickford did his best but when you miss three penalties in the shootout you're going to loose. 

Yeah, Italy were the better team on the night and the best team throughout the tournament.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

He's more likely to get a knighthood than sacked.  The brainwash is complete with Gaz I'm afraid. 

So true. He’s the perfect CEO, always on brand for the FA. As a manager making footballing decisions? He’s lucked his way past a few decent teams and beaten a lot of crap, but an anti-attacking football mindset combined with blatant favouritism over form is who he is. 

Qatar will be no better, unfortunately. 

Just now, PaulC said:

I'm an England fan but italy deserved to win. They were the much better team. Pickford did his best but when you miss three penalties in the shootout you're going to loose. 

Men against boys unfortunately, but it's Southgate who treated them like boys, not 100 million pound Premier league players.

1 minute ago, Brumerican said:

Dude I love you but you badly misread that and it was a crap comment.

It's a cynical comment, I totally admit that. But it's cynicism based on what actually happens on social media. This has been an ongoing issue. 

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Absolutely bizarre. He should resign, for losing on penalties in a final? Who seriously expected us to be runners up at the start of the tournament? Give your head a wobble. He'll get the world cup, and rightfully so. 

Said all along he's not good enough even after victories.  We had a easy run against no real opposition until the final, playing at home 6 out of 7 games and first serious opposition was Italy.  We scored a great goal after 2 minutes but then on the back foot for the rest of it.  With the talent in the squad that was poor.  If we had given Italy a decent game then maybe fair enough but it was the usual poor from Southgate.

• Like 2

Â