Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

You know what, I’m a reactionary person, I can’t help it and I’m not a fan of his but honestly, fair play to Gareth for turning English international fortunes around in 5 years, no one can take that away from him and rightly so, it’s something he can and should be immensely proud of. That’s his legacy. They systems and process he’s built and put in place are night and day compared to what we had before but unless he is willing to take the next step himself and start to be brave and attacking in future then maybe it is right to hand the reigns over. Let someone more progressive build on the foundations he has laid. Southgate can stay behind the scenes as director or summat as he seems like he is truly passionate about the inner workings but I honestly can’t take anymore negative cautious GS football with that squad. It’s far far too good for that. 

Roy Hodgson would have gone just as far with this squad.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Gareth Southgate is a lovely man - he's dignified, he's got a moral courage, he's a leader, he's intelligent and he speaks well;  sadly he's not a great football manager.

We've ultimately lost that game on the manager's two weaknesses - an over-reliance on his favourites, regardless of how they're performing and a natural negativity in his approach to the game.

The early goal should have seen us press on, but we stopped playing after twenty minutes and hoped we could sit in our shape for the remainder of the game.

Mount did nothing, Henderson was worse than awful and the last two substitutes were a bad idea that worked out badly. We handed over control of the game to Italy in the first half and then struggled to get back into it, only showing any spark when Grealish eventually came on.

It's a good effort, and they've done well to reach a final, there are some very good players in the England squad, but it could have been more; we'll never win anything under Southgate.

You have a brilliant knack of summing up the collective conscious, same after the Denmark game also.

If only the FA thought the same.

1 minute ago, El Zen said:

Bukayo Saka is my new hero, btw. I mean that seriously. For a 19 year old to do anything other than flat out refuse to take that penalty kick is bravery I’m not remotely capable of. 

Massive fan of the kid, I hope he is ok tonight. Broad shoulders

• Like 2

What Southgate has shown is a vision for a country that’s inclusive and comfortable in the identity of the squad in which he worked with. That is a bigger legacy regardless of the result tonight. It won’t fix what’s fundamental broken - it did articulate what many feel, allowed us to see new heroes on and off of the pitch. I wish him well. I thank him for that at least. 

• Like 2

I said before the tournament Southgate was a bottle job and tonight it proved the case. A wealth of attacking talent and he decided to field a team predominantly of defensive, non creative or attack minded players. Southgate threw that game away before it started with the formation and personnel. He tried to shithouse the final imo. 

England got very lucky getting the early breakthrough although a brilliant strike by Shaw. But to then, not only sit back, but to also be so slow in changing the system and players when it was obvious to the world Italy were in the ascendancy, was poor. 

The last point was he tried to be clever with the penalty shootout but his idea to bring players on just for pens or allowing a young lad who wasn't having a good game to take the 5th pen was stupid. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

we'll never win anything under Southgate.

After losing on penalties in the final. We've won one tournament in our history but losing by the thinnest of margins in the final is supposedly a failure?

I wouldn't be upset if he stands aside, I've maintained throughout the entire tournament that the football Gaz has us playing is depressing, but I'm not buying that us losing in the final is a failure and that we should be expecting to win trophies. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Just go look at the comments under Sancho and Rashford's Instagram pictures. Don't even have the stomach to peek at Saka's.

I hope they ban them from their phones until tomorrow 

Know what? I'm kind of glad the media and the happyclapping casual public are all over Southgate. If Southgate actually did get the boot then Smith would be one of the prime candidates to take over, and losing him would seriously set us back I feel.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

You made it to the final and lost on penalties. That football was probably your best chance of winning something since 1966. 

That remains to be seen, but it doesn't alter my opinion. The stats are embarrassing. 

Just now, Keyblade said:

Just go look at the comments under Sancho and Rashford's Instagram pictures. Don't even have the stomach to peek at Saka's.

Hopefully  it's just the same trolls and morons that's always there spewing their vile words.

34 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's on it manager. The moment Italy started to get back into it he had no response. 

This is the crux. 

We were actually the better team and should have capitalised really. But Italy made subs and Gaz had zero reaction. You could see the goals was coming and he did nothing, made no subs. 

Then they scored and he did make subs but not subs that were ever going to take the game back to Italy. 

Christ he even wasted 10 minutes of extra time before bringing Jack on. 

He never ever seized the initiative back or even tried to really. 

• Like 2

Â