Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

Just now, Davkaus said:

Come on, we got to the final. And yes, it was an easy run, but you've never seen a squad wasted like this? Have you forgotten the "golden generation"? :)

Yes, at least Sven and Capello put them on the pitch.

Listen, I’m American. I had no skin in the game except for supporting England because of you lot and Jack/Tyrone.

But holy **** is Southgate a joke. Seems like he got absolutely every decision wrong. Bringing on two players cold to take pens, both miss. Score and sit back for 60 minutes to allow them the inevitable goal.

It’s not just benching Jack that he got wrong, it’s pretty obviously much more than that. What in the world is he doing?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's kind of ironic, but Saka walking up to take that penalty was so reminiscent of Southgate in 96. You just knew he was going to miss. Far too much pressure on those young shoulders. If we had been a bit more assertive we could have done without that drama. 

It was a weak, nervous kick. Poor fella.

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Henderson was shoe horned into the squad when he wasn’t even fit. Not even taking penalties. No JWP. Rashford at right back. 

Yep that's a good point. What was the point in Hendo? 

It's a shame, ultimately Southgate was too cautious. Italy played the best football in the this tournament and deserved to win. England with better attackers played uninspiring football, got a great draw and blagged their way to a final. So while I'm sad and disappointed, I'm not heartbroken or distraught in the way I have been in previous penalty defeats.

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Come on, we got to the final. And yes, it was an easy run, but you've never seen a squad wasted like this? Have you forgotten the "golden generation"? :)

This team is far, far, far better than that team. Yes, some individual players were better, but that's what they were, individuals, they were never interested in playing together and outside the starting players, we had barely anyone decent. This current crop i by far the best England team I've ever seen, and it runs a good 2-3 players deep before you're taking much risk on who you play.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jim said:

Unbelievable achievement to get to the final though.

No chance, he had an easy run to the final playing games all at home apart from one and one the most talented squads.  The teams we played on the way, only Germany was a powerhouse and they were not anywhere near their usual standards this tournament.  Italy was the first team of note we had to play, we scored an early goal and then sat back.  This was a great chance and Southgate blew it.

Truth is England did well to get to extra time. Italy deserved to win the game in 90 mins. Awful team selection and subs from Southgate, far too conservative. Well done Italy team of the competition wins it. 

1 minute ago, legov said:

FFS some of the overreactions here

They’ve Ben waiting for this since the Scotland game.

• Like 1

Some terrible decisions there. Two taking penalties that haven't even had a touch in the game, a 19 yr old taking the 5th pen. Henderson should have still been on to take one and Sterling should have stepped up as well, he bottled it.

Â