Match is OFF: Open training session replaces Villa vs Sevilla - 07.08.21 @ 15:00 (Villa Park) -

MaVilla

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

In hindsight maybe a bit ambitious arranging a foreign side to come to us, or just some rotten bad luck.

A foreign side would have been almost impossible in the time given. They'd have had to charter a flight for the entire squad (+staff/equipment), given their players next to no notice, booked coaches, possibly arranged hotel bookings for an entire team, then there's team security and whatnot. It's such a faff.

13 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I think this is the worst preparation for a new season i have ever seen & by some distance too. It's truly been attrocious. Two postponed games, key player leaving just before the big KO and the replacements without a single game to get used to their new situation. 

This is gonna be some rude awakening i fear at Watford.

Not much they can do about covid though tbf.

Let's hope we've used up our bad luck in pre season.

I will dig my boots out and be happy to play in goal, I am 45 with a dodgy back ( no that is not from too much picking the ball out the net 🤣)  but I am. Up for a game! Make it so lads haha

18 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

They couldn't have got a single football team to play a game tomorrow?

Leagues start this weekend, it’s the fa cup for many non league teams (what would be the point of playing one of them anyway ?) cup comps starting around Europe and even if you found a team at short notice the problems of living with a pandemic would make quick safe travel impossible . I not surprised at all they couldn’t find a team.

19 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

What can they do at short notice, that said they are still on it I believe, you never know🤞

I should clarify, I wasn't calling this incident a shambles, just our pre-season as a whole, through no fault of our own but losing the Forest game and then Sevilla in amongst the Grealish saga just feels like our whole pre-season has been disruptive.

But I'm not placing any blame with us at all. Out of our hands completely, but disappointing nonetheless.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

I should clarify, I wasn't calling this incident a shambles, just our pre-season as a whole, through no fault of our own but losing the Forest game and then Sevilla in amongst the Grealish saga just feels like our whole pre-season has been disruptive.

But I'm not placing any blame with us at all. Out of our hands completely, but disappointing nonetheless.

Gotcha, bang on Mr roonst83 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roonst83 said:

Not Ideal but I think the club will get the minutes in legs and patterns of play in the heads with competitive 'mixed' squad games. 

By comparison, Watford's first game was hijacked by Citeh but played:

Stevanage, Arsenal & Doncaster and will play Palace tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Free open training session is a nice touch though.

Not going to let this week’s cancellation or player departure get me down so I’m still meeting for a couple of Saturday lunchtime beers, (now paid for by the club refund:cheers: ) and then going to watch the new and established players train and see what Smith has to say.

There’s far too much tragedy and loss that’s gone on in the last 18 months to moan about this, for me.

Obviously not ideal to have two friendlies cancelled, so it will be interesting to see how our fitness and team cohesion is against Watford.

Cancelled friendlies, several players away due to misc. tournaments, 1/3 of the first team new faces joining the team just recently. Watford match might be even more interesting than first thought!

1 minute ago, Gompedyret said:

Cancelled friendlies, several players away due to misc. tournaments, 1/3 of the first team new faces joining the team just recently. Watford match might be even more interesting than first thought!

You are aware there is now a match on Sunday?

Â