Stoke City vs Aston Villa - 24.07.21 @15:00

MaVilla

13 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He still worked extremely hard for the team, he didn’t have any goal scoring chances of note. No striker in world football is 100% on it every game

I agree, so you need quality options to make changes.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

Maybe so. And bottom half could be 12th,!!!.

We need to unearth one or two gems - but I don't think we will be signing a string of £30m players to be squad players. 

This is where progression gets harder 

Also when our competition do that and we fall behind.  If we aim to be 10th then let’s all agree on that and fine but everybody including owners want European place next season, we can’t do that with only a quality first XI.  Just can’t!

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Every Premier League does or if they don’t, they will face a relegation battle

So why do some many on this message board seem to not want options.  

Just now, nick76 said:

I don’t agree

So our aim is 10th, hoping everything goes our way! Not sure the owners, management and especially our fans think that’s our target.

Nick, no one will be happier than me if we go on a mega spending spree and have a 15 goal striker on the bench if Ollie flounders....etc....

I'm hoping for a few more players and we blast our way into the CL. If that doesn't happen I will look at where we were when these owners/manager came in.

10th in the toughest league in the world wouldn't be a disaster. 

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

So why do some many on this message board seem to not want options.  

Players of the required quality in the Premier League don’t want to be back up options these days. They all want the limelight and be the main man

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Also when our competition do that and we fall behind.  If we aim to be 10th then let’s all agree on that and fine but everybody including owners want European place next season, we can’t do that with only a quality first XI.  Just can’t!

Of course we all want it.

But I think you were around in the late 70s to 1980-81  - we had a few seasons finishing 8th - the progress was their but smaller.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Nick, no one will be happier than me if we go on a mega spending spree and have a 15 goal striker on the bench if Ollie flounders....etc....

I'm hoping for a few more players and we blast our way into the CL. If that doesn't happen I will look at where we were when these owners/manager came in.

It wouldn’t be a total disaster but there’s no way it should be or is likely to be our target for this season. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Players of the required quality in the Premier League don’t want to be back up options these days. They all want the limelight and be the main man

There are perhaps 3-4 clubs that can pack the bench with top notch PL players. I don't think we are quite there yet 

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

It wouldn’t be a total disaster but there’s no way it should be or is likely to be our target for this season. 

Agreed. There's targets and lowest acceptable performance. 

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Absolutely.

You have very low expectations, chap. I very much doubt the owners will be happy with midtable mate, especially if they manage to keep our £120 million player on the books. We can afford midtable if Jack goes, but it'll be hardly worth keeping him if midtable is okay for next season.

We may also be close to £100 million spent  (hopefully) by the end of the transfer market, so again I doubt midtable will do at all, higher than last season at the very least, Europe will be our aim though, an certainly should be!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Of course we all want it.

But I think you were around in the late 70s to 1980-81  - we had a few seasons finishing 8th - the progress was their but smaller.

80-81 our progress was fairly impressive. 

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

I agree, but could you imagine some on here, this forum would be in meltdown if we hover around 10th

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Other clubs do it but we can’t 🤔

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You have very low expectations, chap. I very much doubt the owners will be happy with midtable mate, especially if they manage to keep our £120 million player on the books. We can afford midtable if Jack goes, but it'll be hardly worth keeping him if midtable is okay for next season.

We may also be close to £100 million spent  (hopefully) by the end of the transfer market, so again I doubt midtable will do at all, higher than last season at the very least, Europe will be our aim though, an certainly should be!

They might not be happy with mid table (who is). I'm just saying it wouldn't be a total surprise or disaster should it happen 

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Challenging for Europe will be our aim... 

If that means in the hunt all season before finally finishing 10th about 4 or 5 points off it then we will see

All about the context, we can still improve next season and finish 10th 

Also the context of us buying 2 players so far and our competitors doing more, we still have a mid table squad IMO not a EL one 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree, but could you imagine some on here, this forum would be in meltdown if we hover around 10th

In the heat of the moment (me included) !!!!! .

We need to improve on the already good players we have. Some signings just won't work out - so long as we don't repeat the Lerner era and just give up - perhaps the progress will be more incremental from here.

Â