Stoke City vs Aston Villa - 24.07.21 @15:00

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No I’ve been told Ollie is on it all the time, every game…you can’t be right! 🤔😜

He still worked extremely hard for the team, he didn’t have any goal scoring chances of note. No striker in world football is 100% on it every game

Real kick up the arse today.

Hopefully we get out butts into gear and go out and sign Bailey, Alvarez + a couple more. 

Result poor but more importantly so was the performance. Concerning when you think nearly half that team that started probably starts at Watford (Cash, McGinn, Nakamba, Ollie, Buendia). 

Get some quality in ffs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Then Grealish, Martinez and Watkins will leave at the end of next season wanting to play European/Champions League football and clubs will want to buy them.  If they don’t stay fit we could be a bottom half of the table team.

Hahah, here we go....

I do agree however that there are a few on this forum who think we have a top 6 finish in the bag already. We are way off that at present, all we've done is replace Berkley so far, we need another two first team starters and Jack to stay. We also need Championship McGinn to turn up, Luiz to find some form, Sanson to deliver, and hope we have no injuries.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Then Grealish, Martinez and Watkins will leave at the end of next season wanting to play European/Champions League football and clubs will want to buy them.  If they don’t stay fit we could be a bottom half of the table team.

Maybe so. And bottom half could be 12th,!!!.

We need to unearth one or two gems - but I don't think we will be signing a string of £30m players to be squad players. 

This is where progression gets harder 

That was not a winner mentality out there.

Pre season game or not there should always be a level of standard whenever you put on an Aston Villa shirt.

We need standards at this football club to create that winning mentality.

And the standards starts everywhere. 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

Depends on your expections. We aren't yet ready to have a second string equal to the first 11.

So long as Martinez, Grealish, Watkins stay fit we should be mid table ish at worst.

Which according to the owners ambitions would be failure.

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Hahah, here we go....

I do agree however that there are a few on this forum who think we have a top 6 finish in the bag already. We are way off that at present, all we've done is replace Berkley so far, we need another two first team starters and Jack to stay. We also need Championship McGinn to turn up, Luiz to find some form, Sanson to deliver, and hope we have no injuries.

Like a whole host of clubs in the prem. We have to hope our better players stay fit and in form. What we won't be doing is covering every position with a player of similar quality.

Combination of youth and marginal signing progressing is where our strength in depth will come from.

• Like 1

Surprised McGinn was back in so early instead of having a proper rest. Seemed to be a general feeling that he was playing at less than full fitness for a long time, would rather he rested, got right and came back as the player we know he can be. Was great at the end of last season, too. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Really. I think he’s incredibly lucky to still be here. 

That chance just summed him up. Bullied the defenders and got in a bullet header which instead of rippling the back of the net, was straight at the keeper.  Anywhere else and the keeper just watches it fly past him. 

Seems to happen to him pretty much every time he plays. 

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Which according to the owners ambitions would be failure.

I wasn't aware they had put such parameters on next season.

Every season since they have been here we have taken massive strides - but the steps get tougher from here on in. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Did you watch it? It might be because it cost us £5

I watched the whole thing. It’s a pre-season friendly. Not exactly sure what people were expecting from a team half-filled with kids who won’t come close to first-team time this season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I watched the whole thing. It’s a pre-season friendly. Not exactly sure what people were expecting from a team half-filled with kids who won’t come close to first-team time this season.

Agreed. But it always better to win the disappointment is that we didn't. Understandable IMO.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

I wasn't aware they had put such parameters on next season.

Every season since they have been here we have taken massive strides - but the steps get tougher from here on in. 

So you'd be happy with mid-table again?

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, on the two games we've had so far, I'd say our current pre-season best eleven is:

-----------------------Sinisalo------------------------

Cash--------Konsa--------Hause------Young

------------------------Nakamba--------------------

-------------J Ramsey----Hourihane----------

Buendia----------------------------------El Ghazi

-----------------------Watkins------------------------

With maybe Bogarde and Targett unlucky.

There are players who wold expect to be in there that will need to show their quality over the next couple of pre-season games.

Plenty of players to come back and hopefully some movement in the market in key positions.

On we go...

Agreed with this but I think JPB is ahead El Ghazi for me. Even he, El Ghazi did well even i want him left for first team as cant see him stay as first team, when he actually need week in and out learn his trade and skill as his games is seem like nothing learn from mistake.

Bogarde and CC, A.Ramsey, Bridge is did very good too.

Wesley will need rid after today possible accept any price really 7.5 to 12.5 millions, or Loan with sign in end of loan, we look better without him on pitch i think Barry should play today in winger indeed 2 forwards would will make better.

Hope we see Barry in next games as I think Wesley will miss 3 games (or 1 Games i not sure) 

Targett i think he did good job but Young was look better, i agreed … might Targett good with Grealish as used work with him. Be fair he just first games when Young second games and with load experience, can play killer pass and dribble which Targett could learn from him..

Cant wait Mings and Grealish, Matrinez back (Traore and Sanson, hopefully Bailey) 

I starts to question about Steers i think he is not good Enough for back up, hope fully Bentelli or W.H. Link true as I couldnt bear see Steers as No.2. After today Sinsisalo is did brilliant job i think i more comfortablet him in goal that Steers, what Steers thiink about first goal as he could stay in line, even Cash and Bogarde miscommucation each other when ball cross to him might Cash tell i got it that Bogarde back off, when it is could better if Bogarde go for it, never mind it is as friendly and he learn mistake from it even he play really very good.

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

We can't afford/attract first team level players as squad players just yet

I don’t agree

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

Our season rests on key players being in form and avoiding injury.

So our aim is 10th, hoping everything goes our way! Not sure the owners, management and especially our fans think that’s our target.

Â