Walsall vs Aston Villa - 21.07.21 @19:30

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Very good performance all round.

In the second half I thought Bogarde and Chrisene looked really comfortable and Ramsey and JPB both scored lots to be pleased about from the youngsters.

Neither of the front two quite grabbed the opportunity.

We're developing some really good depth. We have Barry and Kesler that didn't get a game and Grealish, Martinez, Luiz, Mings, Sanson and Target to come back in - plus anyone we buy!

Yeah, it’s pretty crazy. Not as crazy as Jack, Emi and Watkins are going to be though. The amount of footballing intelligence in our attack is something else and can’t wait to see them play together. Roll on Sevilla. 

Also thought Nakamba was very tidy. Interested to see if he can ‘do a Targett’ this season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

good evening, just woke up and getting ready for the night shift. did Young get a good reception 

We've got our Ashley back ringing round the stadium. 

Buendia world class. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

good evening, just woke up and getting ready for the night shift. did Young get a good reception 

very. sang his name "we got our Ashley back" . all the players got a good reception. fans even chanted Wesley's name. Our support is world class and they showed it again today.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Goes to show, we have watkins only up front.

2 big units immobile and static neither getting in the box for crosses.

Davies to go out on loan or sold, wes 3rd choice even if we don't get another forward in and promote young or Barry.

Freddie looked poor for a while as did a few others, our forwards were by far our worst players 2nd half.

Have not seen much of him, but I reckon from what I have seen Brad Young would have done better than either.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

Have not seen much of him, but I reckon from what I have seen Brad Young would have done better than either.

Based on what I saw in the FA Youth Cup Final I’d agree. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Is he playing CDM?

Spent most of the time punting a knackered old steam boat up and down an African river accompanied by a female missionary, which was kind of weird. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, useless said:

Best players in the second half were the youngsters that came on, Bogarde, Philogene-Bidace, Chrisene, and especially Aaron Ramsey, along with McGinn.

They were excellent. So many kids with bright futures. Chukwuemuka did not shine, which surprised me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

What did you want from Guilbert. He should have had 2 assists. Both bidace and Davis should have gotten on the end of 2 peaches of balls. 

What’s clear is the established players face competition from the possibility of new signings but also from the hungry and very talented youngsters who are banging on the door. Everyone is going need these games to showcase their desire and application. 

Would love Freddie to challenge for a start but just feel the more established players cannot be complacent in these warm up games and didn’t think they did. I felt those four could and should have been dictating the second half, they were outshone by others. Early days and lots of hard work ahead clearly.

21 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

From the 6 or 7 games I've seen him play , he reminds me of David speedie, ok maybe not quite so strong in the air but just his style of play , physicality and knack of getting goals.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Mixed bag second half: Guilbert, Hourihane, McGinn, Wesley all failing to catch the eye or turn it on. Youngsters great.

Thought Gilbert was decent, strikers looked knackered after 2 minutes though.

Sadly unless Wes scores 3 pre season hat tricks I think he will be written off, a bit like that goalie Spurs are supposed to be signing for a decent fee, fast forward 3 years Bayern Munich sign Brazilian superstar from Lyon, he was not good enough for Villa fans after a near career ending injury.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are clearly blessed with a crop of outstanding young players who have just won the fa youth cup, but a one off performance against Walsall (who might turn out to be shit in their division next season) does not make them instantly better than seasoned professionals that we might not like. We need to be patient, but the the signs are promising 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

From the 6 or 7 games I've seen him play , he reminds me of David speedie, ok maybe not quite so strong in the air but just his style of play , physicality and knack of getting goals.

He is one of the most similar to Watkins strikers I have seen. Loads of energy and aggression and will chase all around the forward positions upsetting the defenders. He also has no shortage of skill, pace and finishing. Not sure if he’s ready to backup yet but certainly ha s the potential too.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

So, the usual overreactions (both positive and negative) being drawn from a preseason friendly. Same every year. 

It's fitness training, and has very little relevance to what will happen once the season starts. 

Boo. That's far to sensible. I am just looking for the odds for us to win the double myself.

I thought Steer had one or two uncomfortable moments. Especially in the first half. Not sure whether it was him or the lack of Mings marshalling the defence. Having said that, he did  not have much to do.

Â