Tammy Abraham

nick76

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Tammy isn't worth 40m. Glad they're buying him and not us.

Arsenal apparently have a 180m transfer budget and they've spent half of it on Ben White and Tammy

Different strokes for different folks isn’t it. I can think neither of those would be the right signing for us while also acknowledge they’ll probably get Arsenal top six so I can regret them going there.

I really don't think we should be jealous of Arsenal's transfer strategy this summer. They've put 50m on Ben White and signed a full back that Benfica fans seem to think is utterly trash.

Even Arsenal fans I've seen didn't really want Tammy considering their options up front.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

and Nkeitah but fans on here think we shouldn’t have options and everything should be on Ollie’s shoulders with Wes an unknown and Davis out of favour

Can’t believe I am going to take the bait but here goes!
It’s not that we don’t think we need options. In a perfect world we would sign Tammy and be grateful to have him. However we have limited funding and need to spend it wisely in adding the greatest overall value to the team. 
If you played Tammy as a lone striker, with our current midfield, he would be totally isolated and frustrated. We get away with it at the moment because of the unbelievable work that Ollie puts in every week. If you played him up front with Ollie it would be even worse as we would be even weaker in midfield. 
We need to address the midfield before anything else. Maybe then we can look at the forwards in the next summer. Our midfield 3 do not work well together. It’s even worse when we play a 2. We also cannot be in a position that Trez and AEG are starting so many games for us. We also need another goalie and a centre back. Until this is addressed we will have to rely on Ollie and Wes with support from the other lads as required.

This is not about Villa fans lacking ambition or having a small club mentality. It’s about appreciating the natural order of progression. That’s just my opinion. I respect yours, I just don’t agree with it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Different strokes for different folks isn’t it. I can think neither of those would be the right signing for us while also acknowledge they’ll probably get Arsenal top six so I can regret them going there.

Not saying they're bad signings, but I'd expect better from 90m than those two if I was an Arsenal fan

I wouldn’t of said no to Tammy, as I believe Ollie needs competition and in some parts of the season a rest. But as I said many many pages ago I thought the club had moved on from him.

Wesley deserves the opportunity, time will tell whether he gets back to the player he potentially is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Can’t believe I am going to take the bait but here goes!
It’s not that we don’t think we need options. In a perfect world we would sign Tammy and be grateful to have him. However we have limited funding and need to spend it wisely in adding the greatest overall value to the team. 
If you played Tammy as a lone striker, with our current midfield, he would be totally isolated and frustrated. We get away with it at the moment because of the unbelievable work that Ollie puts in every week. If you played him up front with Ollie it would be even worse as we would be even weaker in midfield. 
We need to address the midfield before anything else. Maybe then we can look at the forwards in the next summer. Our midfield 3 do not work well together. It’s even worse when we play a 2. We also cannot be in a position that Trez and AEG are starting so many games for us. We also need another goalie and a centre back. Until this is addressed we will have to rely on Ollie and Wes with support from the other lads as required.

This is not about Villa fans lacking ambition or having a small club mentality. It’s about appreciating the natural order of progression. That’s just my opinion. I respect yours, I just don’t agree with it. 

obviously I disagree with some of your description above in the bulk comment above and thus the “natural order of progression” as you call it I disagree as I’ve laid out on many pages on this thread my natural order of progression.  It’s all just opinions and I respect yours as well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I really don't think we should be jealous of Arsenal's transfer strategy this summer. They've put 50m on Ben White and signed a full back that Benfica fans seem to think is utterly trash.

Even Arsenal fans I've seen didn't really want Tammy considering their options up front.

Not jealous of them I’d just be jealous of options upfront if they get Tammy as well.  We only have Ollie as a certainty because Wes is unknown and Davis is out of favour but they would have Auba, Tammy, Lacazette and Nkeitah.

18 minutes ago, John said:

Surprised that Chelsea would sell to Arsenal (the manager clearly does have a problem with Tammy then). It would also put to bed the idea that Tammy would want a guaranteed starting place (he won't get one there). Perhaps this will make the club choose whether or not to give him the option of a stretch in Holloway or Aston (I know which I'd choose;))? 

image.jpeg.316b1c505798ecc85178cf283e435f8b.jpeg Aston Hall | Day Out With The Kids

Chelsea are going all in for Haaland. Its a no brainer if they get him

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Jeez, seriously this is weird comment!

You called him proven which he isnt, Grant Holt and Rickie Lambert have more Premier League goals and they werent proven

Just now, Zatman said:

You called him proven which he isnt, Grant Holt and Rickie Lambert have more Premier League goals and they werent proven

Just a joke of a comment!

While Arsenal have a lot of long term loans and made huge losses (£144m) they are still the 11th richest club in the world and had a revenue of just under £300m last year. Down £100m from the previous years due to Covid.

Villa have rich owners but the club is not rich. Our revenue was £112m according to the club and we made a loss of £99m and losing about £40m of expected revenue due to Covid.

Financially we are years away from being able to compete with the likes of Arsenal and if it wasn't for our owners willing to write off debt...

This "dad will pay for it anyway so let's buy it" without regarding the cost is a bit naive.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, sne said:

While Arsenal have a lot of long term loans and made huge losses (£144m) they are still the 11th richest club in the world and had a revenue of just under £300m last year. Down £100m from the previous years due to Covid.

Villa have rich owners but the club is not rich. Our revenue was £112m according to the club and we made a loss of £99m and losing about £40m of expected revenue due to Covid.

Financially we are years away from being able to compete with the likes of Arsenal and if it wasn't for our owners willing to write off debt...

This "dad will pay for it anyway so let's buy it" without regarding the cost is a bit naive.

All relevant points, but they made better use of the PL era cash cow than we did. They also built a large stadium and charged outrageous price for tickets. There's nothing special about Arsenal we can't follow or even improve on, but we do need a period of sustained success and that won't be easy.

We absolutely have the right owners to do it, and we will rely on them to finance most of it until we also generate huge income as a club. This is exactly what happened to the likes of Man City, Chelsea etc. Both lesser clubs to Villa before the sugar daddies came in.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

As much as your obsession with Tammy then 🙄

Proven striker apparently with 26 top flight Goals 😂😂😂😂

Nothing to do with my obsession

Tammy has proven he can score at this level, against big teams and over a couple of seasons.  If you want a ten year veteran to cover that definition that’s your call. For me he’s shown he can do it at this level.

Just now, Mazrim said:

All relevant points, but they made better use of the PL era cash cow than we did. They also built a large stadium and charged outrageous price for tickets. There's nothing special about Arsenal we can't follow or even improve on, but we do need a period of sustained success and that won't be easy.

We absolutely have the right owners to do it, and we will rely on them to finance most of it until we also generate huge income as a club. This is exactly what happened to the likes of Man City, Chelsea etc. Both lesser clubs to Villa before the sugar daddies came in.

Yeah sure, but as I said not yet. We are years away from them financially. We can get there, but we are not there yet. And as unpopular as it is I think we will need a new stadium rather than a expanded VP going forward. 

16 minutes ago, sne said:

I completely agree with this.  The only caveat I would though throw back against this is the owners are the ones that have told us their ambitions and timeframes.  They are very savvy people so must have a plan and you would imagine it will include a lot of money and some risk. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

they had Son, Moura, Lamela.

Your 'every team has one striker' claim, is b*llocks

Those are forward players not strikers

When talking about strikers I am referring to a number 9

Edited by villalad21
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Nothing to do with my obsession

Tammy has proven he can score at this level, against big teams and over a couple of seasons.  If you want a ten year veteran to cover that definition that’s your call. For me he’s shown he can do it at this level.

One season proven, how is that proven? His other top flight seasons combined got him 11 goals

Â