Tammy Abraham

nick76

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Considering he is playing for a Champions League winning team his numbers there are average.

And has been mentioned he seem to only score against weaker opposition. He particularly thrives in the cup when they face Championship level sides.

More so i look mostly on general play when I judge strikers. What do they bring to the team the games they aren't scoring? And it Abraham's case it's very little.

Absolute rubbish for somebody that was squeezed out of first team he still had a 0.52 Goal per 90 minutes.  Kane is at 0.68, Vardy at 0.48, Ings is at 0.50, our Ollie is 0.38, his teammates Giroud is 0.49 and Werner at 0.21 so in 20/21 he's in really good company towards the better strike rates

In Season 19/20 when he had more games and a manager that liked him he was at 0.61 which is basically level with Kane at 0.62 and Vardy at 0.68 was a bit higher

Score against weaker opposition?  given he wasnt given much time he scored against both Arsenal and West Ham in 20/21 and barely had any time against the bigger teams.  Plus when is it bad to score against weaker teams, one of the biggest issues for top teams is not seeing off smaller teams and most of the smaller teams park a bus in front of the bigger teams so sometimes it's actually harder.

You just cant argue with his goal ratio in the PL.  As for cups, all top strikers thrive in cups but it doesnt take away his goals per minute in the PL which stands on it's own as a quality PL striker

More so i look mostly on general play when I judge strikers. What do they bring to the team the games they aren't scoring? And it Abraham's case it's very little.

I guess you didnt watch what he gave us when he played for us and then what he does for Chelsea.  He's not Ollie but his involvement is still impressive and he does things differently to Ollie.  Ollie is all over the pitch harassing's but sometimes he's not in the box when he needs to be whereas Tammy is, which takes away slightly from the pressing that Ollie does but Tammy makes up for in terms of the extra goals he gets per minute, which is vastly superior to Ollie at the moment as I pointed out above.  They are both excellent strikers at what they do and given the stats I have put up above comparing Tammy to strikers that are in their prime and Tammy is still only 23 years old is incredibly impressive for him to be doing that.

Ollie has long goal scoring droughts, two last season and looked tired in the second half of the season which is understandable. He has the right to currently own the shirt but bringing in Tammy would add competition, options and the ability for Dean to make subs, to change tactics, to do something different and we know how well Tammy plays with Jack.  Tammy is a predator, we have at least two fabulous creators in Buendia and Jack, and we need to score the chances those two will serve up and we have Ollie and now we need another option and Tammy fits that to a tee.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There’s one thing not wanting to sign Abraham (of which I transcribe to), but to say he wasn’t brilliant for us, and to dismiss his ability is ridiculous. He’ll go on to have a very good career, I just don’t think it’ll be with us. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Absolute rubbish for somebody that was squeezed out of first team he still had a 0.52 Goal per 90 minutes.  Kane is at 0.68, Vardy at 0.48, Ings is at 0.50, our Ollie is 0.38, his teammates Giroud is 0.49 and Werner at 0.21 so in 20/21 he's in really good company towards the better strike rates

But you see, Kane and Vardy are also “only okay” PL forwards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rich192 said:

There’s one thing not wanting to sign Abraham (of which I transcribe to), but to say he wasn’t brilliant for us, and to dismiss his ability is ridiculous. He’ll go on to have a very good career, I just don’t think it’ll be with us. 

Yeah exactly. Someone thinking we’d be better off spending that £40m elsewhere is fair enough, no argument there. But there’s simply no disputing that Tammy is in the top ten (or so) poachers in the league. And he’s only 23. We’d be lucky to have him.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

If Tammy had never played for us and had never helped us get promoted, we wouldn't even be discussing his potential move here.

The discussion is based on sentiment and emotion, rather than on logic and practicality.

Ok so a player whose a striker, who currently is frozen out at his Champions League winning club, who is 23 years old, has 0.52 goals per 90 minutes last season when he was a bit player and then 0.61 goals per 90 minutes when he was a regular the season before who has a great character, is 6ft 3 inches tall.  Isn't that exactly the kind of player we are looking for these days...forget whether you agree we need a striker or not but a young player with potential, value add, that has PL experience at the top end and done really well and has a great character that will fit into the squad.  Even taking sentiment out, he's fits every player we are looking for at the moment for whatever position we are looking at, he would definitely be on our radar whether he'd played for us or not but given the club know him well, he fits in the group as well and we know how he plays with the likes of Grealish just makes this a slam dunk for me.  So yes, even if he hadnt have been here before he wouldve been talked about

5 minutes ago, Enda said:

But you see, Kane and Vardy are also “only okay” PL forwards.

Well he's already said before he wasnt a big fan of Haaland so we know his thoughts on strikers.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

according to Percy he has been offered to a number of clubs and only Arsenal seem interested

Are you sure? I only got to read half of his last piece about Abraham before the pay wall realised I wasn’t a subscriber but it just said Arsenal were also interested not the only ones interested from what I did get to read.

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Ok so a player whose a striker, who currently is frozen out at his Champions League winning club, who is 23 years old, has 0.52 goals per 90 minutes last season when he was a bit player and then 0.61 goals per 90 minutes when he was a regular the season before who has a great character, is 6ft 3 inches tall.  Isn't that exactly the kind of player we are looking for these days...forget whether you agree we need a striker or not but a young player with potential, value add, that has PL experience at the top end and done really well and has a great character that will fit into the squad.  Even taking sentiment out, he's fits every player we are looking for at the moment for whatever position we are looking at, he would definitely be on our radar whether he'd played for us or not but given the club know him well, he fits in the group as well and we know how he plays with the likes of Grealish just makes this a slam dunk for me.  So yes, even if he hadnt have been here before he wouldve been talked about

Yeah I’m not desperate for us to sign Tammy but I think it’s more that if we hadn’t had him before people would dismiss the idea of us being able to get him than us having had him before making him a nostalgia signing…

I would guess he’ll go to Spurs to replace Kane.

37 minutes ago, nick76 said:

In Season 19/20 when he had more games and a manager that liked him he was at 0.61 which is basically level with Kane at 0.62 and Vardy at 0.68 was a bit higher

Score against weaker opposition?  given he wasnt given much time he scored against both Arsenal and West Ham in 20/21 and barely had any time against the bigger teams.  Plus when is it bad to score against weaker teams, one of the biggest issues for top teams is not seeing off smaller teams and most of the smaller teams park a bus in front of the bigger teams so sometimes it's actually harder.

You just cant argue with his goal ratio in the PL.  As for cups, all top strikers thrive in cups but it doesnt take away his goals per minute in the PL which stands on it's own as a quality PL striker

I guess you didnt watch what he gave us when he played for us and then what he does for Chelsea.  He's not Ollie but his involvement is still impressive and he does things differently to Ollie.  Ollie is all over the pitch harassing's but sometimes he's not in the box when he needs to be whereas Tammy is, which takes away slightly from the pressing that Ollie does but Tammy makes up for in terms of the extra goals he gets per minute, which is vastly superior to Ollie at the moment as I pointed out above.  They are both excellent strikers at what they do and given the stats I have put up above comparing Tammy to strikers that are in their prime and Tammy is still only 23 years old is incredibly impressive for him to be doing that.

Ollie has long goal scoring droughts, two last season and looked tired in the second half of the season which is understandable. He has the right to currently own the shirt but bringing in Tammy would add competition, options and the ability for Dean to make subs, to change tactics, to do something different and we know how well Tammy plays with Jack.  Tammy is a predator, we have at least two fabulous creators in Buendia and Jack, and we need to score the chances those two will serve up and we have Ollie and now we need another option and Tammy fits that to a tee.

So you're just a stat padder then like your typical modern football fan.

Abraham simply has too many faults in his general game for a top club to want him. No surprise to me that he got frozen out once a top manager came in.

Probably is a bottom half to a mid table striker and we aspire to bigger than that.

Watkins is twice the player imo. Even if he doesn't score every game his contribution to the team is always huge. Abraham is at least a level below that, and i'm not keen on spending 40M on inferior players.

Edited by villalad21

I would be amazed if Tammy has the career that some think he is capable of. I genuinely think that he is an average premier league striker and anyone prepared to pay big money for him is getting mugged off. Give me Ollie over him every single day of the week. He was great for us in the Championship but we have moved on now.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Tammy scored 7 goals in 3 games in a row early 19/20 against Norwich Sheffield and Wolves. That's a 3rd of his goals the last 2 seasons. 

Okay now do Ollie’s hat-trick.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

So you're just a stat padder then like your typical modern football fan.

Abraham simply has too many faults in his general game for a top club to want him. No surprise to me that he got frozen out once a top manager came in.

Probably is a bottom half to a mid table striker and we aspire to bigger than that.

Watkins is twice the player imo. Even if he doesn't score every game his contribution to the team is always huge. Abraham is at least a level below that, and i'm not keen on spending 40M on inferior players.

No you provided your view and I just showed you that his stats might not reflect what Tammy was actually doing.  Sometimes we have a view on something but when we do see some actual facts we go “ahhh” he was doing much better than I thought he was.

So one manager doesn’t like him so you dismiss him.  Tammy is a 23 year old that scores at a very high ratio in the top league.  I don’t agree with your view of his faults.  

Also we aren’t a top team, we are currently a mid table team who couldn’t attract an elite goalscorer like a Kane or Haaland.  Tammy’s goal scoring record is up there with some of the best in the league.

That’s why he’s played for Chelsea…and that’s why Arsenal and West Ham are interested in him now and if Spurs sold Kane they’d probably be interested in him.

Watkins is twice the player imo. Even if he doesn't score every game his contribution to the team is always huge. Abraham is at least a level below that

That’s rubbish.  Watkins is a different player to Tammy and both are excellent at what they do, we would be lucky to have them as options in our squad.

6 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I would be amazed if Tammy has the career that some think he is capable of. I genuinely think that he is an average premier league striker and anyone prepared to pay big money for him is getting mugged off. Give me Ollie over him every single day of the week. He was great for us in the Championship but we have moved on now.

So his goals per 90 mins in the PL should be dismissed?  Seems to me at 23 he’s already looked really good at the start of his career and as good a ratio as we’ve had for decades for a striker at Villa.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

So his goals per 90 mins in the PL should be dismissed?  Seems to me at 23 he’s already looked really good at the start of his career and as good a ratio as we’ve had for decades for a striker at Villa.

Just my opinion Nick. I wish him well but I don’t rate him that highly. 

24 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Tammy scored 7 goals in 3 games in a row early 19/20 against Norwich Sheffield and Wolves. That's a 3rd of his goals the last 2 seasons. 

Wow and he was only 21 years old.  Then scored 4 more in the next 9 games including against us and he turned 22 years old.  Then still had more goals in him in the league, ohhhh and in the Champions league he had goals against Lille and Bayern Munich…all in that same season. Not bad for a 21/22 year old.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That’s why he’s played for Chelsea…and that’s why Arsenal and West Ham are interested in him now and if Spurs sold Kane they’d probably be interested in him.

I know they've been offered Abraham, not sure they are too interested though.

A club like Brighton or Burnley is probably his level and that's the level where i see him ending up long term.

• Haha 3

Â