Tammy Abraham

nick76

6 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Simon Jordan most definitely is not an idiot, speaks sense far more often than any of the other contributors on that TalkShite with Jim White show. He’s a man who’s been successful in business and has the insight of actually running a football club, dealing with the agents etc. That said, I think he might be wrong if he’s said Abraham wouldn’t join us. But that said, I sincerely hope we’re not in for Abraham. That ship sailed long ago, Villa have since moored their new super yacht in the calmer and warmer waters of Watkins Bay. 

My comment was in context of the comment and to be honest his views on football outside the business of football.  It’s not hard to speak sense more than most on TalkShite but many times I’ve thought Jordan is talking rubbish on it.  Just because you are successful in one thing doesn’t mean you are good at another and Jordan tends to show that a lot.

As for your last couple of lines…billionaires tend to have more than one super yacht.

the daily show boom GIF

6 minutes ago, allani said:

@nick76 I love you mate!  When he signs and scores the winner to beat Man Utd at Old Trafford (with Ollie scoring in the first half too) I am flying back to the UK and you & I are sharing a beer (or two or more) whilst saying "we told you so" to anyone who is within earshot!!

Yeah my keeping quiet on the topic didn’t go so well 😂 

Looking forward to the beers

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Considering so many have asked for it and he's dominating other threads here is a thread for the next Aston Villa signing 😉

The Office Reaction GIF

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

So we're not actually linked with him, are we?

I think there was a Mirror article over the last of couple of days but might be wrong..

Here it is!

Edited by PaulMcGrath_5
  • Like 1

If he is happy to sign knowing that he has to fight for a place and will start as back up to Ollie, then I have no problem with him joining.

Fee doesn’t bother me one bit because if the club think he’s worth bringing at said price, then who are we to argue/worry about it.

My only concern is if Tammy wants to be the starting number one somewhere and wants guarantees.  If this is the case, perhaps he’ll more likely move to West Ham, Wolves or Tottenham (if Kane departs).

I do like him though and he could offer us a lot.

I think Abraham and Watkins are very similar players, both like to press high and tend to play as a lone striker.

I would be surprised if we played them both upfront given their similarities, so perhaps Ollie would move out wide - but then again we have Buendía, Traore, El Ghazi and Jack, if you assume Trezeguet will be out all season. 

I then can’t believe we would spend £40m on a squad player, or that we would move Watkins to the bench after a really impressive season. Villa could benefit from another striker but I doubt £40m on Abraham is the right move. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

If he is happy to sign knowing that he has to fight for a place and will start as back up to Ollie, then I have no problem with him joining.

Fee doesn’t bother me one bit because if the club think he’s worth bringing at said price, then who are we to argue/worry about it.

My only concern is if Tammy wants to be the starting number one somewhere and wants guarantees.  If this is the case, perhaps he’ll more likely move to West Ham, Wolves or Tottenham (if Kane departs).

I keep seeing this everywhere, but I don't see any of those clubs giving him the top spot automatically either...  Deano has said nothing but great things about Abraham's work ethic and professionalism, even after he left the club.  He complemented Tammy about how coachable he is and takes feedback extremely well (gave an anecdote regarding how when they first met after Smith took over Villa and pointed out something he didn't like in Tammy's game and he immediately corrected it/promised to never do it again for as long as he played for Smith).  

16 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I think there was a Mirror article over the last of couple of days but might be wrong..

Here it is!

It's been like the Grealish rubbish, none of it's legit and until it happens its just wishful thinking.

Edited by Dave-R

39 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Given that @nick76 has broken his radio silence on Tammy - I'll give it one more go too.  I genuinely believe that it would be possible to play Ollie, Tammy, Emi and Jack as a front 4 where we aren't playing 4-4-2 and where Ollie isn't put out on the left wing.  All four have sufficient technical skill, athleticism and other key attributes that would (in my opinion) allow them to be assigned a specific role but be able to interchange with each other at different times during the match when required.  By their very nature all four take up positions in and exploit parts of the pitch that you might not expect a typical player in their "role" to take.  All are happy going wide to exploit the channels.  All are equally happy playing more centrally.  I just think that the dynamism of that combination as a front 4 could genuinely be on a whole new level.  Probably only City and Liverpool would be able to match it.  I mean as a central defender who the **** do you decide to mark / track when Villa win the ball and you suddenly have those four running at you.  On top of which I think that all four could form an amazing bond off the pitch and people just play so much better together when they are mates, get along and want each other to do well.

Edited by allani
  • Like 2

We definately have to sign a striker.I mean what happens if Watkins is out for 4/6 weeks ( or, heaven forbid more ) that leaves us Wesley and Davis.IMHO in a 6 week period you could count on Davis scoring 1 goal and Wesley, maybe 2 at most.So without another proven striker we would right up the greek without a paddle. 

I'm conflicted. I remember him missing a lot of chances in his days with us. I'm surprised to see he actually had a decent goals record for Chelsea the past 2 seasons. I liked his celebrations after a win for us.

I just can't imagine how we would have two 40 million pound strikers in a side that only play one up top. Obviously we would rotate and the other would represent a different option off the bench. There is a risk if we don't go for a Tammy equivalent that an injury to Watkins means we are relying on an unknown entity in Wesley to save our season. I would just wonder about if Tammy is the best option. He won't want to come here to sit on the bench.

I would almost rather a young wildcard £16 million striker as back up, more as an alternative to Wesley, rather than back up to Watkins. A Vinicius to Son. And spend bigger on a dm or back up cb

1 minute ago, Denaldinho said:

I think Watkins needs backup in case he gets injured -  However, paying 40+ mill for a striker inconsistent in front of goal is a big gamble.

Properly go a cheaper alternative decent goal record properly Ivan Toney.

Toney would be more of a gamble as no-one knows if he would score goals in the Premier League. Newcastle let him leave, he has scored a lot of goals in The Championship but the Premier League is a different kettle of fish altogether 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Denaldinho said:

I think Watkins needs backup in case he gets injured -  However, paying 40+ mill for a striker inconsistent in front of goal is a big gamble.

Properly go a cheaper alternative decent goal record properly Ivan Toney.

Given that Brentford have just been promoted I can't see how they would let Toney go for much less than £30 million.  I suspect that we'd get Tammy for less than £40 million (at least up front) so I don't think there is a big cost difference between the two.

Â