Euro 2020 : Quarter finals

BOF

29 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Think Belgium will struggle without their big players, KDB and Hazard potentially missing through injury and the other Hazard is suspended.

my money will be on the Italians to progress.

Yeah it’s a fair point. I’m just biased because I tipped them to win the tournament before it began 😂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Denmark look the danger on Englands side of the draw 

Yep definitely the team to beat in my opinion.

I think we'll have the beating of Ukraine. There not a bad side but we've got a good record against them and I think we'll get through it.

But Denmark in the semis is another level. Again we SHOULD beat them. But they're a really good side and with the fairytale behind them after what happened to Eriksen and the fact they're basically everyone's second team now, they could throw a spanner in the works

I actually think Ukraine will be England's hardest game before the final. Simply as it's in Rome and not Wembley. However I am fully expecting England to win barring any emotional come down or complacency.

• Like 1

I remember all the talk on here during the group games was how England were going to be slaughtered by the first ‘big’ team they faced from the group of death.

Then there was talk of Germany putting 3 or 4 past England.

Now we hear that in fact Germany are not a very good side 🤷‍♂️

Edited by LondonLax

28 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I remember all the talk on here during the group games was how England were going to be slaughtered by the first ‘big’ team they faced from the group of death.

They're not... 

But in the group they played "better" football than us

I think the main thing with Germany was that they had a defence that we could get at if we attacked, a midfield that could dominate possession and then lots of attacking players but no proper striker 

50 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think we'll have the beating of Ukraine. There not a bad side but we've got a good record against them and I think we'll get through it.

But Denmark in the semis is another level. Again we SHOULD beat them. But they're a really good side and with the fairytale behind them after what happened to Eriksen and the fact they're basically everyone's second team now, they could throw a spanner in the works

It would be tricky but wouldn't be as hard as Croatia in SF of world cup imo.

Wembley rather than neutral venue and they're obviously missing their Modric type in midfield who would be difference maker if not marked tightly. Still got very good players in many areas and huge motivation so they'd give England a far tougher game than Germany imo if both meet in SF.

SF felt the limit for what England did in last world cup and so it proved. This time I think limit is final and yesterday will certainly help the players giving them extra mental boost.

30 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

What would be even more hilarious is people saying what a weak group England were in...and then draw Czechs in SF and suddenly people who want England knocked out suddenly hype up Czechs to unrealistic levels.:lol:

England doing fine this tournament and in very good place to do more even if it's boring to watch. Big question mark though for me is how does this set up react if it goes a goal down in a game?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What would be even more hilarious is people saying what a weak group England were in...and then draw Czechs in SF and suddenly people who want England knocked out suddenly hype up Czechs to unrealistic levels.:lol:

England doing fine this tournament and in very good place to do more even if it's boring to watch. Big question mark though for me is how does this set up react if it goes a goal down in a game?

Yes it’s interesting that two of the three teams from England’s group are still in it and even Croatia took Spain to extra time yet all the big teams from the supposed ‘group of death’ went out at the first knockout round. 

England also feel fresh to me.

As much as Southgate's got huge stick for picking all the right backs Steve Bruce style ultimately England are very very well stocked in most areas now, Chilwell just won CL and ended last season in very good form and he's barely made the bench so far. Even in CM Bellingham looks excellent when he gets the chance and Henderson is good sub to bring on to see games out with his experience.

Upfront Mount just had a rest for a week with isolation while Jack, Rashford, Sancho have barely player in the tournament and Foden hasn't featured in last two games.

So often England get in knock outs and completely devoid of energy, now I think it is complete opposite while some other nations struggling with injuries like Belgium.

Don't think it's arrogant at all to say this is England's best chance of winning a tournament since 1996.

• Like 1

Ukraine will be a hard game because they will sit back and challenge us to break them down while hitting us on the break. We should play a more offensive line up but it would be a brave move to change the formation we used against  the Germans 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

And not to forget we didn't score against them home and away last year in the Nations league and they beat us at Wembley!!!!

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

47 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

England also feel fresh to me.

As much as Southgate's got huge stick for picking all the right backs Steve Bruce style ultimately England are very very well stocked in most areas now, Chilwell just won CL and ended last season in very good form and he's barely made the bench so far. Even in CM Bellingham looks excellent when he gets the chance and Henderson is good sub to bring on to see games out with his experience.

Upfront Mount just had a rest for a week with isolation while Jack, Rashford, Sancho have barely player in the tournament and Foden hasn't featured in last two games.

So often England get in knock outs and completely devoid of energy, now I think it is complete opposite while some other nations struggling with injuries like Belgium.

Don't think it's arrogant at all to say this is England's best chance of winning a tournament since 1996.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

No Rooney for rest of that tournament and England would've been fatigued from beating Portugal if they'd won in extra time so Holland in SF would've been very tricky as they still had a good team in those days.

Actually thought 2002 was a better chance but England completely bottled it when 1 up to Brazil who played most of that second half with 10 men.

1 hour ago, pintpotvilla said:

And not to forget we didn't score against them home and away last year in the Nations league and they beat us at Wembley!!!!

Wasn't Maguire sent off after about 20 minutes in the home game, need to avoid stuff like that. Yeah hardly anything happened in the Copenhagen one, England barely had a shot on goal so would be very tough playing that at neutral venue.

Very interestinh England played a 3-4-3 that night though and Denmark nulified it with similar set up to what they have now.

Edited by VillaChris

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

No Rooney for rest of that tournament and England would've been fatigued from beating Portugal if they'd won in extra time so Holland in SF would've been very tricky as they still had a good team in those days.

Actually thought 2002 was a better chance but England completely bottled it when 1 up to Brazil who played most of that second half with 10 men.

Nah we should have won 2004. If Rooney doesn't get injured we win that game. We should have won it anyway.

Holland were no pushover but Portugal were fairly comfortable with them and then greece in the final was winnable.

That's the last time I've genuinely thought we had a chance of winning a tournament

The Czechs are physically strong and fit and are very good technically. Tactically they're good too. However to beat England you need all that and real speed up front. I don't think they have that speed. But they're a dangerous and very good side.

The only two teams I feared were France and The Netherlands because of their speed up front. However 😉

I said it before the tournament started the Germans won't be no trouble for anybody but with Hansi Flick they're going to be amongst the favourites in future tournaments. Again.

Spain are looking interesting but I believe that Italy will beat them. Belgium have been unimpressive as usual in a big tournament. Meaning everyone thinks they're going to be good but they haven't really justified the hype.

England Italy final for me. IF England dont get complacent. The final will be about who can deal with the occasion and pressure.

Â