Euro 2020 : Round of 16

BOF

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Does anyone else on the planet play wing backs and a front 3?  It just doesn't make sense, unless Saka is playing behind the front 2, which doesn't make any sense.

Thiking about it, Kane will drop deep like he always does and Saka and Sterling will be the forwards. 

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

What, you don’t think this is a good formation?

D3-B2-AA77-B9-B9-4-ED1-A005-DBEB2-E02-BC

the centre forward for England usually tucks in between the DM and the midfielder. not sure how doesnt work

• Haha 1

Just now, Zatman said:

the centre forward for England usually tucks in between the DM and the midfielder. not sure how doesnt work

The funny part is, that’s as far back as I could drag the position before it changed to MC 😂

48 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

😂😂 imagine leaving all of Foden, Mount and Grealish out. Absolute disgrace. First sub Mount, second Foden and third Bellingham. No way Jack gets minutes. 

It's 5 subs thou so he might still get on.

The more I think about the alleged line up the more ridiculous it seems. The only possession we will have is in our own half. Germany will only have to content with one tactic - runners down the channels. This is so predictable and easy to set up against. There is zero creativity and therefore a lack of unpredictability. He is an absolute fraud of a manager. Travesty really. What makes it worse is he is unlikely to get sacked even if we get done tonight. 

32 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Does anyone else on the planet play wing backs and a front 3?  It just doesn't make sense, unless Saka is playing behind the front 2, which doesn't make any sense.

With the role that Kane is currently taking up you can make a decent argument for us and Germany lining up the same 

Different mentality in terms of style though 

The biggest issue with us will be the space between defence and attack because there won't be a midfield 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The biggest issue with us will be the space between defence and attack because there won't be a midfield 

My worry is I can see Kroos being in about 30 yards of space all evening.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

The more I think about the alleged line up the more ridiculous it seems. The only possession we will have is in our own half. Germany will only have to content with one tactic - runners down the channels. This is so predictable and easy to set up against. There is zero creativity and therefore a lack of unpredictability. He is an absolute fraud of a manager. Travesty really. What makes it worse is he is unlikely to get sacked even if we get done tonight. 

Jokes aside. Seems like were trying to eliminate the threat of Gosens & Kimmich by limiting the space afforded them wide. Essentially funneling the space and potential ball toward Kroos and Goretzka centrally. Much like how Hungary defended. Surely Low is well aware of this, and will look to utilise the ball-time of Kroos and Goretzka. With the extremely intelligent space conqueror Muller, I do worry if they have something up their sleeve. Then I suppose you are banking on the athleticism of Phillips and Rice to counter act such a threat. I worry about Southgate's ability to adapt on the fly.

With such a limited midfield. I think we're going try to utilise Sterling to probe the space behind the WBs, with balls over the top. Then look for deep runs from centre midfield (Phillips) and the opposing flank. Also with someone like James/Shaw, you can match the athleticism. We'll also really want to weaponise effective 1st-ball set-pieces. I think we won't risk being countered by reloading after a failed set-piece, and will look to retain possession, even going back to Pickford at times. 

I just hope England are not fully occupied on containing. I still believe that the best form of defence here is to impose our attackers upon Germany themselves. I also believe the team should have been built around utilising Jack. I suppose at least Southgate seems to have a plan, whatever you do make of it. Rather than 'don't worry about them, just do what we do lads' rhetoric that has failed many England teams of yonder.

At the risk of sounding like Cpt. Obvious, 1st goal is super important.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think everybody can see this happening, Germany have some huge weaknesses to exploit but by the sounds of it England is playing to the biggest strength. Reminds me a bit of the 2012 game Pirlo ran, everybody knew what he cuold do except the management and the english media 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

100% this

We won't get near him, you look at Germany and say their strength is in the middle but they haven't played that well, Löw is under pressure to change it up, probably goretzka coming in

We play that deep and negative that kroos gets the freedom of the park and goretzka actually pushes up next to havertz meaning they play they will play something closer to a 3-3-5-0 because they're matching up the position of our midfield 

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

Live:Sheffield

7:11

Yeah but it's watery English beer.  He'll be absolutely fine.

Mings &/or Grealish play = I hope England win

Mings &/or Grealish don't play = I hope England don't win

I will only be watching to support the Villa players. So proud of them for making the squad, but they don't deserve this. To be fair most of the other players don't either but I don't have that connection with them. 

Sadly Southgate will probably get a contract extension and it will take a poor qualification to get him sacked rather than the inability to beat actual competition. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

A couple of years ago, when we met and beat SHA 4-2 at Villa Park, I went to see that game with 5 friends, but as it was a sunday game we arranged to sponser Sotton Coldfield and go and watch them play saturday, because we had watched that clip in Denmark. It was a fantastic experience, the club inviting us on the field before kick-off and in the directors lounge at half time and after game. The even wrote a full page in the match program about us, who we were and why we were there. We were singing and shouting with the band

Overall it was a really fun experience and something that we still are talking about when we met up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Villa87 said:

I doubt it. Foden Mount Bellingham and Rashford are more likely to come on. He can’t bring them all on. 

Depends on the score-line. If we are losing hes bound to bring Grealish on 

• Like 1

If England line up with 5 at the back they will lose. You should never change your system three games in. This is just dumb. Shows a lack of faith in the players as well as the system. It would literally be the stupidest decision he has made as England manager.

• Like 1

Â