Euro 2020 : Round of 16

BOF

35 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

No doubt its because Tyrone doesn't have the experience of the other three.

But you only play 2 defensive midfielders to protect Mings 😂

Thats what his buddy Neville said

So a lot of pundits still seem to be tipping Mason Mount to start despite isolating and not being involved in the training.

Can someone please explain to me what Mason Mount has done in the first  games to show he's an essential lynchpin for us without which the entire team would fall apart?

Please?

Frustrated Tom Hiddleston GIF

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So a lot of pundits still seem to be tipping Mason Mount to start despite isolating and not being involved in the training.

Can someone please explain to me what Mason Mount has done in the first  games to show he's an essential lynchpin for us without which the entire team would fall apart?

Please?

Frustrated Tom Hiddleston GIF

He plays for Chelsea.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Can someone please explain to me what Mason Mount has done in the first  games

He's a fabulous player, IMO. He scores goals, makes goals, harries and wins the ball back, passes well, is good with his feet. He'd be in my starting 11.

In the first game he was one of the better players, no one played well in the Scotland game. I think the/my question isn't whether he could/should play, but some of the others. I think before the 1st game most/many people were saying Kane in front of Grealish -Mount - Foden would be ideal.

Stirling is the only one to score, so he's not going to get dropped. The (massive) problem has been Kane, who's been really poor. and to a lesser extent neither Foden nor Stirling have done much in terms of making chances.

I don't think Southgate is making the most of the players available, but Mount's been blameless IMO. We have a system where it kind of revolves around Kane, who on form is world class, and that's fair enough...if he gets up and running.

With Kane being pants so far, we're all looking at how do we create chances and pressure and stuff and picking our favourite attacking players. The defence has been good. Swap out one of Philips or Rice and maybe replace the other with Henderson and play the extra attacker is what most would do (me included).

• Like 3

I dont agree with matching up to Germany and going three at the back with two defensive midfield players, and if the predicted team is right and Foden gets his place back hes very fortunate as Grealish and saka are more deserving. 

1 hour ago, VillaAlex said:

Also why are we the only team of my knowledge to continually have our team leaked before kickoff. It's embarrassing and surely gives the opposition a small advantage. 

Completely agree

It's embarrassing that our team sheet gets leaked before every game. Germany now have the whole day to work on picking that apart

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

He's a fabulous player, IMO. He scores goals, makes goals, harries and wins the ball back, passes well, is good with his feet. He'd be in my starting 11.

In the first game he was one of the better players, no one played well in the Scotland game. I think the/my question isn't whether he could/should play, but some of the others. I think before the 1st game most/many people were saying Kane in front of Grealish -Mount - Foden would be ideal.

Stirling is the only one to score, so he's not going to get dropped. The (massive) problem has been Kane, who's been really poor. and to a lesser extent neither Foden nor Stirling have done much in terms of making chances.

I don't think Southgate is making the most of the players available, but Mount's been blameless IMO. We have a system where it kind of revolves around Kane, who on form is world class, and that's fair enough...if he gets up and running.

With Kane being pants so far, we're all looking at how do we create chances and pressure and stuff and picking our favourite attacking players. The defence has been good. Swap out one of Philips or Rice and maybe replace the other with Henderson and play the extra attacker is what most would do (me included).

But he's been isolating and not been able to train.  He's not been involved in the planning etc.

I get all you say (I don't necessarily agree with it all) but I get it...........but I'm not saying he shouldn't start in normal circumstances.  But to miss all the build up in my opinion he should have looked AMAZING in the first  games, our only ray of hope in otherwise turgid performances.  But he really didn't, didn't stand out at all so I can't understand how it can be so important to bring him back when he's completely missed all planning.

People for England so far:

Pickford - Fairly decent. Punched a few when should have caught. Unbelievably good kicking.

Walker - Can't remember much positive or negative.

James - Sloppy.

Stones - Solid. Almost as good as..

Mings - Brick wall. "Colossus" according to Southgate. So obviously he'll be dropped. 

Maguire - Looked great in the cameo. As good as Mings carrying the ball forward.

Trippier - Lively in the Croatia game. Did OK at LB.

Shaw - Poor decision making and not as good as Chilwell.

Phillips - Decent but had absolutely no press against him v Croatia then struggled against Scotland. Meh.

Rice - Backwards passing only. Does nothing.

Henderson - Looked way better than Phillips or Rice. Which shows how poor they've been.

Bellingham - And looked way better than all of the above. What a player.

Sterling - Deadly with a single half-chance. But robs the team of build ups the other 89 minutes with stupid decisions.

Mount - Tidy. Solid.

Foden - OK against Croatia but did little after hitting the post.

Grealish - Disappointing by his standards. Received fewest passes from team mates though so what's going on there?

Saka - Looked great but little end product. Very positive though and taking the opportunity better than Grealish.

Sancho - Meh

Kane - Still coming way, way too deep. Basically playing as a CDM.

Calvert-Lewin - Meh but maybe wouldn't be meh with wing backs and Grealish.

Rashford - null

I'm pretty sure Southgate is going to play every player I think has been poor and bench all I think have done well.

Just now, Villa87 said:

😂😂 imagine leaving all of Foden, Mount and Grealish out. Absolute disgrace. First sub Mount, second Foden and third Bellingham. No way Jack gets minutes. 

Rashford would be ahead of him in the queue too

6 minutes ago, darrenm said:

People for England so far:

Pickford - Fairly decent. Punched a few when should have caught. Unbelievably good kicking.

Walker - Can't remember much positive or negative.

James - Sloppy.

Stones - Solid. Almost as good as..

Mings - Brick wall. "Colossus" according to Southgate. So obviously he'll be dropped. 

Maguire - Looked great in the cameo. As good as Mings carrying the ball forward.

Trippier - Lively in the Croatia game. Did OK at LB.

Shaw - Poor decision making and not as good as Chilwell.

Phillips - Decent but had absolutely no press against him v Croatia then struggled against Scotland. Meh.

Rice - Backwards passing only. Does nothing.

Henderson - Looked way better than Phillips or Rice. Which shows how poor they've been.

Bellingham - And looked way better than all of the above. What a player.

Sterling - Deadly with a single half-chance. But robs the team of build ups the other 89 minutes with stupid decisions.

Mount - Tidy. Solid.

Foden - OK against Croatia but did little after hitting the post.

Grealish - Disappointing by his standards. Received fewest passes from team mates though so what's going on there?

Saka - Looked great but little end product. Very positive though and taking the opportunity better than Grealish.

Sancho - Meh

Kane - Still coming way, way too deep. Basically playing as a CDM.

Calvert-Lewin - Meh but maybe wouldn't be meh with wing backs and Grealish.

Rashford - null

I'm pretty sure Southgate is going to play every player I think has been poor and bench all I think have done well.

Happy World Cup GIF by Three Lions

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I can't understand how it can be so important to bring him back when he's completely missed all planning.

He hasn’t though. There was a thing on the telly yesterday. He’s trained to stay fit, he’s been involved in the talks about stuff, but via zoom. It’s only been a short time. I get where you’re coming from, but IMO he’s a definite starter on form and ability for me. You could play Foden in his position and Saka and Grealish wide, say. I’d be fine with that, too if the isolation has been a problem 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

So after 5 years as manager of England, with an unprecedented amount of attacking talent currently at his disposal, in the most important game of his tenure i.e. the culmination of everything that has gone before, Gareth Southgate is rumoured to be going with 8 defensive players on the pitch (including the keeper). If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know then I don't know what will. He seems to be terrified of the proper football teams, which is preventing England from being one.

Play on the back foot, thinking two steps behind football.

Change your entire shape for the opposition, play as many defenders as possible except the best performing one as he can’t be trusted. Play an attacking right back at centre back because pace because we’ll inevitably need him to recover because mistakes

Edited by a m ole

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Play on the back foot, thinking two steps behind football.

Change your entire shape for the opposition, play as many defenders as possible except the best performing one as he can’t be trusted. Play an attacking right back at centre back because pace because we’ll inevitably need him to recover because mistakes

Jesus,

when we play someone like Spain or Belgium he will have Conor Coady upfront flanked by Tyrone Mings and Kyle Walker on the wings

1 hour ago, rbcuk said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 England's reported XI for tonight:

Pickford; Trippier, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw; Phillips, Rice; Saka, Sterling, Kane.

Well we ain’t gonna get anything as exciting as last nights game with that lineup 

Does anyone else on the planet play wing backs and a front 3?  It just doesn't make sense, unless Saka is playing behind the front 2, which doesn't make any sense.

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Does anyone else on the planet play wing backs and a front 3?  It just doesn't make sense, unless Saka is playing behind the front 2, which doesn't make any sense.

With all those attacking options he has available he starts with only 3 if that team is right. Thats ultra defensive.  it shows he's scared of the Germans. 

Â