Euro 2020 : Round of 16

BOF

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

Listening to the Athletic’s England Show podcast this morning. They were taking about whether Southgate should get a new contract or not. 

One of them actually said this: 

“If not Southgate, then who else is out there?”

“ We stick with the guy who brought people together who is loved pretty much by everyone in England, who has really transformed the culture of the team and FA”. 

schitts creek what GIF by CBC

I don’t know many, other than those in the media who rate Southgate as a manager.

Some think he’s a nice guy but no one thinks he’s a tactical genius or the right man to get the best out of the current crop of players.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Do we know the team yet? It normally seems to leak about half a day in advance.

Matt Law said England will go 5 at the back and was bad news for Jack, Saka and Foden 🙄😂

I can see it now, England 2-0 down and Southgate brings on Grealish on the 80th minute who makes an instant impact, scoring one and assisting the equaliser.

England with their tales up go into extra time but Southgate settles for penalties and we sit deep for 30 minutes.

Penalties arrive and Southgate’s favourites Maguire and Mount step up and promptly blaze them over the bar.

Cue tears and a ceremonial burning of Southgates waistcoat (hopefully before he takes it off!) 

That’s as positive as I can get 🤣

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I can see it now, England 2-0 down and Southgate brings on Grealish on the 80th minute who makes an instant impact, scoring one and assisting the equaliser.

England with their tales up go into extra time but Southgate settles for penalties and we sit deep for 30 minutes.

Penalties arrive and Southgate’s favourites Maguire and Mount step up and promptly blaze them over the bar.

Cue tears and a ceremonial burning of Southgates waistcoat (hopefully before he takes it off!) 

That’s as positive as I can get 🤣

He probably takes Grealish off for extra time 😉😂

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He probably takes Grealish off for extra time 😉😂

Yep, then he’ll justify it by saying that he doesn’t have enough penalty shoot out experience. Despite him scoring in the playoff semi final in one, and despite Southgate still being remembered for missing his 25 years ago. Well, for that, and the Pizza Hut advert!

Athletic

Three decades later, though, when the European Championship took place on English soil, the build-up to that dramatic semi-final meeting with Germany was dominated by an infamous Daily Mirror front page: mocked-up pictures of Paul Gascoigne and Stuart Pearce in Brodie helmets under the headline “ACHTUNG SURRENDER! For you, Fritz, ze Euro 96 is over”.

Had it not been for the widespread condemnation that followed, not least from within the England camp, the pulp-magazine stuff would have gone further. Piers Morgan, who at the time was the paper’s 31-year-old editor, later revealed he had also “approved plans for a Mirror-sponsored Spitfire to dive-bomb the German training ground and drop copies of that front page on Jurgen Klinsmann’s head — oh, and for a Mirror-sponsored tank to invade the Berlin offices of our German tabloid rival Bild”. These plans were abandoned at the last moment, he said, when the rest of the country suffered “a catastrophic sense of humour failure”.

Imagine if you tried to get away with that nowadays!

Edited by Nigel

Since Jack is being minimalised, I at least hope Tyrone has a good game( If he plays).

That being said, I will support whoever is playing England. I am sorry, but they are awful to watch, and I would rather see how many thumb tacks I can shove up my nose rather than watch them play.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Matt Law said England will go 5 at the back and was bad news for Jack, Saka and Foden 🙄😂

apparently it's sterling and saka behind kane

how the **** can you leave all 3 of mount, jack and foden on the bench

the guy's a complete clown

• Like 1

alker over Mings at CB is the biggest travesty. 

Mings didn't put a foot wrong, Walker has been shite and isn't even a CB.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

Surprised if he went 5 at the back but didn't put saka as the LWB 

Missed opportunity to go attacking there 

That said missed opportunity to go attacking everywhere... 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Listening to the Athletic’s England Show podcast this morning. They were taking about whether Southgate should get a new contract or not. 

One of them actually said this: 

“If not Southgate, then who else is out there?”

“ We stick with the guy who brought people together who is loved pretty much by everyone in England, who has really transformed the culture of the team and FA”. 

schitts creek what GIF by CBC

This seems to be the view of people who don't really know that much about football. No offence to anyone out there!

Semi Finals in 2018 = everybody loves him

Â