Irreverentad's Fantasy Premier League 2021/22

Rds1983

2 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Someone on the fpl pricing team must hate him. 140pts, not even nailed anymore, takes a Liverpool spot and a striker spot, he should be 7.5m maximum.

The main problem I'm having is picking which Villa players to have. I think Watkins, Buendia and Grealish are all among the best options in their price bracket and I want some defensive representation, at least at the start.

I think Buendia will quickly become very good value at 6.5. I just want to see him first. But I can definitely understand someone wanting to be on board before he hauls rather than reacting to it. Watkins was probably the first lpayer I selected.  7.5m with Grealish and Buendia behind him and those opening 3 fixtures. And yes I have Jack. If I was going defence it would probably be Targett or Mings. As they're all 5.0, it's Targett for the potential attacking returns and Mings because he's a bonus point machine. Luiz isn't a terrible 4.5 option but it does take up a Villa spot I might need elsewhere. I don't think Martinez is worth the investment even though I think 5.5 is the right price for him. I don't tend to spend that much on a keeper unless I'm going absolutely premium and bringing in an Ederson or the like - which I haven't done for a few years now.  Other than Davis as bench fodder I think that's me unless we bring in someone else.

As for Firmino. I think 8 is about right for the reasons you mention. We still have to remember he is the only striker at one of the most potent attacking sides in the league. That alone makes him theoretically dangerous. If he was in any way decent he'd be 10.0.  The fact he isn't, and his 'body of work' should by now have him 8.0 or 8.5.  But 9 is ridiculous.

28 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think Buendia will quickly become very good value at 6.5. I just want to see him first. But I can definitely understand someone wanting to be on board before he hauls rather than reacting to it. Watkins was probably the first lpayer I selected.  7.5m with Grealish and Buendia behind him and those opening 3 fixtures. And yes I have Jack. If I was going defence it would probably be Targett or Mings. As they're all 5.0, it's Targett for the potential attacking returns and Mings because he's a bonus point machine. Luiz isn't a terrible 4.5 option but it does take up a Villa spot I might need elsewhere. I don't think Martinez is worth the investment even though I think 5.5 is the right price for him. I don't tend to spend that much on a keeper unless I'm going absolutely premium and bringing in an Ederson or the like - which I haven't done for a few years now.  Other than Davis as bench fodder I think that's me unless we bring in someone else.

I might just be struggling to take my claret and blue specs off but I fully expect 20+ goal involvements a piece from all of our front 4 this season assuming we're playing 4-2-3-1 with Buendia at 10.

Grealish got 18 in 2/3 of a season, Watkins got 23 with Barkley sulking behind him half the time, even a half fit Traore got 14 only playing 2/3 of the minutes.

With Buendia in there pressing and creating I can only see those numbers going up.

10 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

What are people's thoughts about having Villa players between weeks 4 and 10? 

I think only Chelsea and United are bad fixtures in that lot. Certainly Watkins proved he's fixture-proof last season. Depending on how everyone else starts, I don't think it's a gimmme that I'll be selling any Villa.  Although of course Wolves from week 4 is a sea of green and Leeds from 5 aren't far behind them..

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

What are people's thoughts about having Villa players between weeks 4 and 10? 

There's an international break after GW3 so it would be a nice opportunity to reshuffle with a WC in case we're not as good as I think (hope) we're going to be but if the first 3 weeks do go to plan then I'll probably be keeping whichever 3 Villa players I end up with until further notice.

Edited by YouUnastanFren

46 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think only Chelsea and United are bad fixtures in that lot. Certainly Watkins proved he's fixture-proof last season. Depending on how everyone else starts, I don't think it's a gimmme that I'll be selling any Villa.  Although of course Wolves from week 4 is a sea of green and Leeds from 5 aren't far behind them..

Agreed, the Everton and Spurs games could very well be winnable (although Spurs might just have a manager by then). 

Utd and Chelsea are write offs. 

Not sure WH at home merits a 4 and we seem to do alright against Arsenal nowadays. 

It's a lot of red when you look at it though which was making me think twice that maybe I'm being over optimistic. 

30 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

There's an international break after GW3 so it would be a nice opportunity to reshuffle with a WC in case we're not as good as I think (hope) we're going to be but if the first 3 weeks do go to plan then I'll probably be keeping whichever 3 Villa players I end up with until further notice.

I never like using my WC that early and always try to hold it until late December. I try to have a squad that works for a fair few weeks at a time with minimal changes required and that any new form players can be picked up without major surgery. Doesn't always go to plan though. 

9 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I never like using my WC that early and always try to hold it until late December. I try to have a squad that works for a fair few weeks at a time with minimal changes required and that any new form players can be picked up without major surgery. Doesn't always go to plan though. 

Most seasons I pick an opening team full of players with good fixtures up until the first international break, hopefully that way I build a little bit of value early then WC in any surprise packages and get myself onto the early template if I'm not already on it and get a good start to the season.

Last season I think I WCd week 2 because us, City and United all blanked GW1. I feel like the WC is less powerful the further into the season we get (excluding before a DGW).

29 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Agreed, the Everton and Spurs games could very well be winnable (although Spurs might just have a manager by then). 

Utd and Chelsea are write offs. 

Not sure WH at home merits a 4 and we seem to do alright against Arsenal nowadays. 

It's a lot of red when you look at it though which was making me think twice that maybe I'm being over optimistic. 

It does ask a bigger question of your season overall. That is, do you want a season of chasing the fixtures and missing the hauls, or sitting on a more settled squad that will get you the unexpected hauls that you can often jump away from at just the wrong time.  I guess the 'jumping here, there and everywhere' approach is more fun from a managerial point of view, but it does; by its nature; use up all of your transfers on you. Whereas sticking to the right players can often be beneficial too.  I think it's a case of finding a balance and jumping on the right squad as soon as you can, so that it largely takes care of itself and lets you focus on doing the right amount of hopping at just the right time.

Historically, I think my problem when I review my seasons is I suffer ownership bias i.e. I hang on to players longer than I should, rather than using the logic "would I bring him in now if I didn't already own him". I'm also slow to re-assess players I've put into my blind spot. I did it with DCL 2 seasons ago and he murdered me so I made sure not to do it last season.  Once you're aware of what you tend to do wrong as a manager I think you're half way there.

21 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Most seasons I pick an opening team full of players with good fixtures up until the first international break, hopefully that way I build a little bit of value early then WC in any surprise packages and get myself onto the early template if I'm not already on it and get a good start to the season.

Last season I think I WCd week 2 because us, City and United all blanked GW1. I feel like the WC is less powerful the further into the season we get (excluding before a DGW).

I generally find that with thought I can get by until later in the season without needing to WC and if changes are needed using a mini one to take a - 4. I find using the WC at Christmas allows me to massively shake up my squad at a crucial time of the season and I usually make good gains doing so. 

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

It does ask a bigger question of your season overall. That is, do you want a season of chasing the fixtures and missing the hauls, or sitting on a more settled squad that will get you the unexpected hauls that you can often jump away from at just the wrong time.  I guess the 'jumping here, there and everywhere' approach is more fun from a managerial point of view, but it does; by its nature; use up all of your transfers on you. Whereas sticking to the right players can often be beneficial too.  I think it's a case of finding a balance and jumping on the right squad as soon as you can, so that it largely takes care of itself and lets you focus on doing the right amount of hopping at just the right time.

Historically, I think my problem when I review my seasons is I suffer ownership bias i.e. I hang on to players longer than I should, rather than using the logic "would I bring him in now if I didn't already own him". I'm also slow to re-assess players I've put into my blind spot. I did it with DCL 2 seasons ago and he murdered me so I made sure not to do it last season.  Once you're aware of what you tend to do wrong as a manager I think you're half way there.

I generally use my transfers (albeit saving up for doubles or triples) as I find there's always something that can be improved in a squad of 11to 13 players, usually swapping someone with a bad run out for someone about to go on a good run fixture wise. I'll usually have a core of players who don't get touched though. So my approach would be kinda in the middle of the two. Ownership bias used to be an issue for me too but I've improved on that, my biggest issue is usually not being brave enough to take a small hit to jump on someone I suspect is about to explode. I've missed a few big hauls due to this (e.g. Stones in the first DGW last season when he scored 20 or 30 odd points). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I generally use my transfers (albeit saving up for doubles or triples) as I find there's always something that can be improved in a squad of 11to 13 players, usually swapping someone with a bad run out for someone about to go on a good run fixture wise. I'll usually have a core of players who don't get touched though. So my approach would be kinda in the middle of the two. Ownership bias used to be an issue for me too but I've improved on that, my biggest issue is usually not being brave enough to take a small hit to jump on someone I suspect is about to explode. I've missed a few big hauls due to this (e.g. Stones in the first DGW last season when he scored 20 or 30 odd points). 

I definitely need to trust my instinct more than I do.  I absolutely called Lingard's loan success last season when it happened. Did I move on it? Did I f*ck. I called Iheanacho when he was about to come into the side. Again, I left it until I was playing catch up.  Those 2 players alone would've put me inside the top 50k had I pulled the trigger when I spotted them. But then hindsight is wonderful because I'm sure there are probably some hunches I didn't jump on and I was right not to.  But those 2 stand out because they were painfully obvious.

• Like 1

After being very stupid and having no Villa players for the whole of last season, I'm already pretty certain that Buendia will be in my GW1 team. He really could be incredible value. 

Raphina at 6.5 is also very good. 

I like Raph and will get him in for Buendia after 3 games if that doesn't start too well.

The one thing I will take from last season is to try and hold my transfers and maintain 2 rolling ones. It gave me a lot more room to fix problems quickly and also shift funds between Def/Mid/Attack without taking hits.

21 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

The one thing I will take from last season is to try and hold my transfers and maintain 2 rolling ones. It gave me a lot more room to fix problems quickly and also shift funds between Def/Mid/Attack without taking hits.

Very true. The constant singles can create as much issue as they solve. And it's quite often the case that the single you dumped would've helped you the week you sold him and you've now denied yourself the double :) That's definitely the one thing I think I'm going to try and do more this season and I think it's easily achievable. Just don't drunk transfer :D  

19 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I actually think Harrison at £6m is better value as long as he gets a decent transfer (most likely to Leeds). 

Yep Harrison is outstanding value if he moves.  As is Abraham (6.5).

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Yep Harrison is outstanding value if he moves.  As is Abraham (6.5).

Yeah spotted him too and thought exactly the same. 

Guess it depends where he moves to though (and before anyone says he isn't moving here). 

23 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Yeah spotted him too and thought exactly the same. 

Guess it depends where he moves to though (and before anyone says he isn't moving here). 

West Ham would be perfect for him.

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

West Ham would be perfect for him.

I'm not entirely sure how much their form last season was a blip or not. They've jumped from finishing around 10/16th to 6th. If they stay on that vein and he was their main striker then yeah great fit. If they reverted to type and he had to compete with (a non-injured) Antonio I'm not so sure. 

If Kane does leave then Spurs might be a good shout (if they ever get a manager). 

34 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm not entirely sure how much their form last season was a blip or not. They've jumped from finishing around 10/16th to 6th. If they stay on that vein and he was their main striker then yeah great fit. If they reverted to type and he had to compete with (a non-injured) Antonio I'm not so sure. 

If Kane does leave then Spurs might be a good shout (if they ever get a manager). 

They're in Europe. They need another striker and he gets to join a team in Europe. 

Â