Soft drinks

Xela

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I do pretty much all the cooking. 

You can cook without it and after a while, you can taste the food and not just miss the salt.

But it does mean, when we do have something processed it just tastes like fatty salty sugar. Which of course, is probably what it is.

I rarely use salt in any cooking, about the only time I use salt is Fish and Chips. I find any brand of Califlower Cheese ludicrously salty to the piont that I just dont like it apart from... there'sm this one brand that seems to be a NW England thing and it claims to be made on a farm (pinch of NaCl) but it's the only one I'll eat as it doesn't taste like a tub of Saxa. I forget the brand for the minute

What about pasta water? Rice? Potatoes? 

I get it when cooking with products that naturally have salt or umami but with some things it's a fundamental thing and is absolutely needed. It's not about adding extra, it's about adding the right amount. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

What about pasta water? Rice? Potatoes? 

I get it when cooking with products that naturally have salt or umami but with some things it's a fundamental thing and is absolutely needed. It's not about adding extra, it's about adding the right amount. 

Why are you adding salt to these things?

There’s very likely salt in the passata that’s going to coat the pasta, the rice gets a squeeze of lemon and some some coriander and the spuds just don’t need salt. Surely they are going to end up crispy roasted and / or with gravy on them, or beans, or mashed with milk n butter, or have some butter and parsley on them?

What you’re doing is constantly upping your salt tolerance. It’s why the two guys on Masterchef are constantly telling the contestants they haven’t added enough ‘seasoning’. What they’re actually saying, is they’ve **** their taste buds and now need a kilo of salt for anything to taste of anything.

But each to their own. We have got used to not adding salt at every stage. What blows my mind, is seeing people receive a meal they haven’t cooked… and put salt on it before they’ve tasted it. How the hell do you know it ‘needed’ extra salt!?

• Like 3

On the salt theme one thing that often comes up in the latter stages of “I’m a celebrity” when they get to pick a special meal they’ve not eaten for a few weeks, they always comment how salty it tastes.

After having 2-3 weeks of no salt at all they all of a sudden can taste it’s overriding flavour in things like burger or potatoes. 

I'm talking about in the water for pasta, rice and potatoes. 

I understand not adding extra sugar to things, I don't add it at all. 

But not salting your pasta water (for example) is **** mental. An Italian nona would slap you. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

But each to their own. We have got used to not adding salt at every stage. What blows my mind, is seeing people receive a meal they haven’t cooked… and put salt on it before they’ve tasted it. How the hell do you know it ‘needed’ extra salt!?

I'm with you on this. My dad does it and it drives me mental. 

• Like 2

I'm sure it was on here that someone once said salt leads to bloating which I read up on 

Since then I've stopped putting it in my food

Someone who's dieting or trying to lose weight and then putting salt on everything you're potentially making yourself look bigger than you actually are, doesn't make sense 

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Not keen on the stuff anyway, so probably wouldn’t like that .

It is quite intense.

It's a shame the sugar tax forced Irn Bru to change their recipe of their standard cans and unfortunately it just tastes like piss now.

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It is quite intense.

It's a shame the sugar tax forced Irn Bru to change their recipe of their standard cans and unfortunately it just tastes like piss now.

I read that last comment “Tastes Like Piss” in a Scottish accent 🙂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Remember the pop man doing his rounds years ago. We’d get a few bottles of fizzy pop for the house. 
Orange 

Lemonade 

Irn Bru 

Cream Soda 

Dandelion and Burdock 

juat to name a few .

The stuff of legends.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The stuff of legends.

And you’d return the glass bottles. Slightly off topic but then you’d have the coal man doing his rounds, and we’d go and fill the coal bunker up in the garden with the bags of coal. Me and my mates would go and mess about in the bunker and we’d come out black with my grandad making some comments that I shall not repeat on here. The good old days, or were they? 

• Like 1

Â