Soft drinks

Xela

Can't stand normal coke or 7up etc as they're too sweet. If i want a fruity fizzy drink then it's no added sugar cordial diluted with sparkling water. 

I love soda water on it's own. The fizz quenches my thirst especially the initial craving to get some fluid down my dry throat. 

Don't drink it too often.

My general rules for having a can of fizzy pop is usually one of: hangover, with a proper dirty meal (takeaway etc), or on a really hot day.

It's usually Coca Cola I'll have but sometimes Sprite or Fanta and absolutely never a sugar free variety.  Can't stick it, just not the same and leaves a weird aftertaste.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Massively this. IMO the pecking order goes fast food container>glass bottle>can>plastic bottle.

You prefer it in a cardboard cup with a plastic lid? That's massively odd. I'd say that without exception this is always the post-mix variety of the drink, where the brands syrup is added to carbonated water in house. It's dreadfully tricky to deliver this type of product correctly and the taste variance can be massive.

Drank Coca Cola like it was my job when I was a teenager. When I got older I stopped because of health stuff. Mostly drink carbonic water with flavour added.

Weirdly enough I tasted coca cola a few months ago and after years without drinking it, it's just too sweet now. It's so sweet it's making me feel bad. It's weird how you can go from loving something to disliking it in a few years.

I don't drink anything but water/tea/coffee (obviously alcohol on occasions).

But I do very much like coke, a bottle/can once or twice a season, especially on a hot day - I'm not gonna say it's too sweet, and I sort of don't get when people say that. How can you complain about sweetness of a drink that you know is filled with sugar? What else is it gonna be? It's designed to be sweet, it's a sugary drink for the love of god. 

2 questions to you soda drinkers;

1) I find that coke is so much better in a can or in a glass bottle. I would not buy a plastic bottle of coke, I just find the taste and experience of drinking it poor. Do you get that too?

2) It looks like there is a lot of Pepsi Max/Coke Zero/ lovers out there. How can you drink that artificial, plastic imitation of a drink? It's not better for you, it doesn't taste as good as the original, and if you want something less sweet, well, drink some water or a fresh lemonade. I really don't understand the reasoning behind drinking it, do you do it just for it's flavour? Because health wise you are literally injecting your body with shit. 

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Same

Open a can... its gone within a couple of mins, if not quicker. Never one to sip or pace myself.

Also, tastes much better out of a can than a plastic bottle. Not sure why? Maybe it can get colder in a can? Or maybe its a mental thing, i don't know, but I never buy bottles. 

I get through at least a ten can pack of Coke Zero a week easily, probably more like 2 cans a day.

I tried buying 2l bottles but once the bottle has been opened every subsequent ‘hit’ is a little bit under carbonated and not as good. By the end of the bottle it’s just flat coke 😕

It has to be cans. 

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Same

Open a can... its gone within a couple of mins, if not quicker. Never one to sip or pace myself.

Also, tastes much better out of a can than a plastic bottle. Not sure why? Maybe it can get colder in a can? Or maybe its a mental thing, i don't know, but I never buy bottles. 

glass bottle, can, plastic bottle in that order

an ice cold diet coke from a glass bottle is difficult for any drink to beat

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

But I do very much like coke, a bottle/can once or twice a season, especially on a hot day - I'm not gonna say it's too sweet, and I sort of don't get when people say that. How can you complain about sweetness of a drink that you know is filled with sugar? What else is it gonna be? It's designed to be sweet, it's a sugary drink for the love of god. 

1) I find that coke is so much better in a can or in a glass bottle. I would not buy a plastic bottle of coke, I just find the taste and experience of drinking it poor. Do you get that too?

2) It looks like there is a lot of Pepsi Max/Coke Zero/ lovers out there. How can you drink that artificial, plastic imitation of a drink? It's not better for you, it doesn't taste as good as the original, and if you want something less sweet, well, drink some water or a fresh lemonade. I really don't understand the reasoning behind drinking it, do you do it just for it's flavour? Because health wise you are literally injecting your body with shit. 

I think we talked about the impact of sugar tax somewhere else, long story short a can is the best but price wise it's no longer worthwhile imo 

I tend to buy small bottles if I eat out at lunch and big bottles for home 

Coke zero tastes fine to me, better than diet, Pepsi max I know what you mean though, they might as well have just called it sweetener flavour, to be honest though I tend to go for flavoured cokes anyway, sat in my fridge right now is cherry Pepsi max

26 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I remember this was a thing, with coke, when I grew up. Everyone wanted the glass bottles.

I'm not really sure it was due to taste, even if people said that was the case, or whether people just bought into the Coca Cola commercials where they always used a glass coke.

Say what you want about the Coca Cola Company, but they are brilliant at advertising. I rarely give a shit about commercials, can't ever recall a commercial making me like or think about a product. I always purchase stuff out of habit anyway, but the coca cola commercials stick with me due to how good the coca cola glass bottle looked.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

I haven’t had a full sugar carbonated drink in approaching 20 years. To me diet pepsi tastes normal. I think we had a full sugar dandelion a d burdock in the fridge and I suspect I would be whizzing my tits off if I guzzled it. 
As a side note we haven’t had proper sugar in the house for over 5 years. 

2lts of Stockwell Sparkling spring water in Tesco is 17p mix with a couple of raspberry vitamin c tablets, tastes a bit like Vimto but also very good for you 

18 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Massively this. IMO the pecking order goes fast food container>glass bottle>can>plastic bottle. If a plastic bottle is the only option, I won't bother.

Not sure on the fast food container - I guess its refreshing because of the ice? Its a syrup mix though I think. Bang on with glass bottles though. Reminds me of being on holiday. 

I only get the plastic bottles if its part of a meal deal. 

8 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I get through at least a ten can pack of Coke Zero a week easily, probably more like 2 cans a day.

I tried buying 2l bottles but once the bottle has been opened every subsequent ‘hit’ is a little bit under carbonated and not as good. By the end of the bottle it’s just flat coke 😕

It has to be cans. 

Yup, 2L bottles go as flat as a witches tit after a few hours. Its like a shit cordial by the end! 

• Like 1

My dentist always tell me not to drink fizzy pop. I tried to give it up for a little while, but there are some occasions when only a can of Pepsi Max Cherry will do. 

8 hours ago, Mic09 said:

1. Yep. There must a reason for it. It tastes 50% worse out of a plastic bottle compared to glass/can. There are theories online like the carbonation slowly 'leaks' out of a plastic bottle and the inner lining of the plastic receptacle 'flavours' the drink, but i'm not sure if there is any scientific proof in that. 

2. Full sugar or diet/zero, i'm sure neither is good for you. Although the latter has no calories or sugar. 140 calories in a can of classic coke. If you're guzzling 4 or 5 cans worth a day, then thats a lot of dead calories. I know there are health concerns/question marks with the ingredients of zero/diet drinks - aspartame or saccharin, but at least it won't make you fatter! :lol: . Personally I prefer the taste of Zero coke now to Classic coke. I guess you get used to it. I still like a classic coke but when I have one I'm reminded how sweet it is! I almost feel dirty afterwards. Zero is just a little more restrained. I'm no massive fan of Diet coke - that tastes completely different to Zero (different ingredients - sodium citrate compared to citric acid). 

Edited by Xela

7 hours ago, Seat68 said:

As a side note we haven’t had proper sugar in the house for over 5 years. 

I think I could count on one hand the number of bags of sugar I've bought in my adult life. Don't have it in tea or coffee, and don't have it on cereal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dAVe80 said:

I think I could count on one hand the number of bags of sugar I've bought in my adult life. Don't have it in tea or coffee, and don't have it on cereal. 

Same. Never have additional sugar. 

• Like 1

Â