Soft drinks

Xela

You can tell its the off-season, with chat about fizzy pop!

Anyway, i'm drinking far too much of it recently. Perhaps because i've tried to lay off the beer, i'm now substituting it with cans of soda. Its all the zero sugar stuff, but I appreciate their ingredients bring other health questions. 

With the recent warm weather, i'm guzzling 3 or 4 cans of pop a day. Plus i've got large beakers of squash made up chilling in the fridge as well. They all have to be ice cold before I can drink them. There is very little in the refreshment stakes to beat an ice old Sprite on a hot summer day.

Must have about 30 cans in the fridge - Coke zero, Sprite zero. 7up free, Irn Bru, Vimto, plus supermarket own cream soda, dandelion and burdock and bitter shandy - all sugar free as well. 

Anyone else partake in the carbonated beverages a little too much? I think @tonyh29 has a Pespi Max habit?

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

Anyone else partake in the carbonated beverages a little too much? I think @tonyh29 has a Pespi Max habit?

I don’t drink much fizzy pop, I do get through 2 or 3 pints of squash a day.

My wife gets through about 2L of Pepsi Max a day.

Coke Zero for me. I could quite easily go through a 2 litre bottle a day. It's the only pop I drink. I've had to stop and have a word with myself sometimes. I have this problem where I drink too quickly, I don't hang around with liquids.

I haven't drunk beer (properly*) since 2019. I stick to white wine and soda if I'm on the p***. Squash is non existent in the Bulgz but my sister sent me some Robinson squash'd pods. That went in two days. 

* On my birthday I sank 17 pints of Guinness...

• Like 1

I can’t drink alcohol at all anymore. With all the lockdown fun and not having nights out with mates I probably average about 2 beers a weeks.

If went on a stag do or big session I’d be sloshed after 4 pints.

Back to my wife and Pepsi max it’s generally on offer most of the time for about £1.49 so it’s not that expensive.

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

You can tell its the off-season, with chat about fizzy pop!

Anyway, i'm drinking far too much of it recently. Perhaps because i've tried to lay off the beer, i'm now substituting it with cans of soda. Its all the zero sugar stuff, but I appreciate their ingredients bring other health questions. 

With the recent warm weather, i'm guzzling 3 or 4 cans of pop a day. Plus i've got large beakers of squash made up chilling in the fridge as well. They all have to be ice cold before I can drink them. There is very little in the refreshment stakes to beat an ice old Sprite on a hot summer day.

Must have about 30 cans in the fridge - Coke zero, Sprite zero. 7up free, Irn Bru, Vimto, plus supermarket own cream soda, dandelion and burdock and bitter shandy - all sugar free as well. 

Went to the cash and carry today and came out with 2 crates of it , still my goto drinking choice … even the lime flavour one which helps with my 5 a day 

but yep , Ice cold or it’s not worth having 

Edited by tonyh29

I'm somewhere between a litre and 1.5 a day, it's worse working from home, green tea is down coke is up 

Always zero / sugar free, usually flavoured coke cherry being my favourite 

I would say its my biggest addiction, tried to kick it a few times but it noticeably makes me moody if I go more than 2 days without it 

Same as hitz my problem is I'll smash a glass of coke down in seconds, I'm not one to sit there with a glass for 30 mins plus taking a sip every now and then, it's 3 gulps and gone 

Never drink soft drinks, not since I was a kid and not much even then.

But I love drinking non-alcoholic Radler's in the summer which is pretty much a soft drink I guess.

• Like 1

Very rarely drink coke anymore, certainly not at home but used to drink it daily.

Now I mainly drink water during the day and a little squash in the evening. 

Still, the occasional fizzy pop doesn’t hurt now and again! 

I drink squash every day. It’s the drink I have the most, apple and blackcurrant. 

Diet Coke, Coke Zero…if I’m in a pub and not “drinking”. Also as a mixer if I’m on the shorts. Diet lemonade as well, with a lager top occasionally.

An orange juice, once in a blue moon.

I used to love a Frappuccino, but never have drink them now.

I don’t know if I could taste the difference between Coca Cola and Pepsi. Maybe if I really tried, but I honestly couldn’t care less. 

If I’m having a meal deal, I sometimes have a Fanta for the drink and then, when drinking it, I wonder why I chose it. I always think it tastes nicer than it actually does.

1 hour ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I have this problem where I drink too quickly, I don't hang around with liquids.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Same as hitz my problem is I'll smash a glass of coke down in seconds, I'm not one to sit there with a glass for 30 mins plus taking a sip every now and then, it's 3 gulps and gone 

Same

Open a can... its gone within a couple of mins, if not quicker. Never one to sip or pace myself.

Also, tastes much better out of a can than a plastic bottle. Not sure why? Maybe it can get colder in a can? Or maybe its a mental thing, i don't know, but I never buy bottles. 

I get through a case of blue charge most weeks. 24 sounds a lot but they're only small cans.

And maybe a bit of vodka.

Like Pepsi max too.

A few years ago as a science project we did a blind tasting test with all the usual cola’s and a couple of odd ones like Ubuntu and a couple of supermarket brands.

Results with the eldest nipper, friends and family was that most people said they preferred Coke, but the blind tasting the clear winner was Pepsi Max.

Did the same experiment a couple of years later with the youngest nipper, friends and family and had exactly the same results, most said they preferred Coke, the taste test showed Pepsi Max as a clear winner.

I mean, from memory a total of about 30 people, spread over 2 projects about 3 or 4 years apart but I thought it was interesting how consistent the result was.

• Like 1

I always hated fizzy drinks as a kid, it was only when I got to my mid-teens where I had to get into beer that I started to get used to fizzy stuff.  Even now I'll only have it if part of a meal deal of some description.  On the whole I just drink tap water, coffee, beer and wine.

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Same

Open a can... its gone within a couple of mins, if not quicker. Never one to sip or pace myself.

Also, tastes much better out of a can than a plastic bottle. Not sure why? Maybe it can get colder in a can? Or maybe its a mental thing, i don't know, but I never buy bottles. 

Massively this. IMO the pecking order goes fast food container>glass bottle>can>plastic bottle. If a plastic bottle is the only option, I won't bother.

Had a sparkling cider yesterday and it was a sugar bomb. Terrible. All I drink these days is coffee and San Pelligrino and I love both of them. Not even really thinking about beer or any booze. But I haven't been to a restaurant in 15 months...

6 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Coke Zero for me. I could quite easily go through a 2 litre bottle a day. It's the only pop I drink. I've had to stop and have a word with myself sometimes. I have this problem where I drink too quickly, I don't hang around with liquids.

I haven't drunk beer (properly*) since 2019. I stick to white wine and soda if I'm on the p***. Squash is non existent in the Bulgz but my sister sent me some Robinson squash'd pods. That went in two days. 

* On my birthday I sank 17 pints of Guinness...

I've got you beat by 7 beers and 2 kamikazes. I was still standing.

We tend to have a case of diet pepsi, diet 7up and diet fanta in the house as all of us like a can of pop. In addition a box of innocent smoothies, a bottle of ginger ale and sundry pop bottles. We get through a lot of the stuff. 

I've got a soda stream too, or the wife has

Fizzy water is huge here, if you're in a restaurant and ask for a water it'll almost definitley be sprudel wasser

Horrible stuff I can't drink it, she'll moan at me about going through a litre of coke zero a day whilst she's drinking 2l of fizzy water, she's got the same addiction 

I did try the pespi and mountain dew syrups but they don't taste the same and you can feel the fur growing on your teeth with each sip it's not nice 

On mountain dew, the proper stuff in the states is one of the best fizzy pops available, not sure why they can't get it right here, I'm guessing there's something GM or an e number that's banned in the recipe so they've had to Tweak it for us 

Edit - thought of another one - what is it about Fanta limon in a med country?! It tastes better than ours 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Â