Emile Smith Rowe

Nigel

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

I got away with the Josh King signing and wasn't looking forward to teabagging our man but if the above happens, I'll be on a flight to San Francisco quicker then you can say run villalad run.

Treat yourself fly first class. 

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

They already did this with Buendia, after the shock of who the **** do Villa think they are, it reverted to Arteta must have assessed the player and have pulled out because he was not to their standards. 

I would give my 3rd knacker to sign ESR, finish top4 and Arsenal get relegated. 

I got away with the Josh King signing and wasn't looking forward to teabagging our man but if the above happens, I'll be on a flight to San Francisco quicker then you can say run villalad run.

Afternoon Tea Yuck GIF - AfternoonTea Yuck Eww GIFs

Edited by Steero113
  • Haha 2

My prediction is that they price us out of the move, all the while Deano is watching Carney ripping things up and showing big physical improvements in pre season and he decides to go with Chuk as no 10 

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

My prediction is that they price us out of the move, all the while Deano is watching Carney ripping things up and showing big physical improvements in pre season and he decides to go with Chuk as no 10 

Might be a bit early for him to be a regular starter but he could play a part this season. Initially off the bench I would imagine. With or without ESR. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

ESR would be a phenomenal signing, I just don't see it happening. Arsenal are a bit of a shambles at the moment as we know, but they do have a lot of players with healthy value. If they were really desperate to cut costs and raise some revenue I reckon they would sell any of Aubameyang, Lacazette, Xhaka (probably leaving), Willock, Nketiah before daring to sell either Saka or ESR, both of whom I think they see as the future of the club. 

Edu is not fantastic at his job but he's not a total fool either. He'll want players with less potential or higher higher wages off the books before the likes of Smith-Rowe. 

I think you have this wrong.....they can't sell these players for good cash because of a combination of:

1) they don't have long left on their contracts (i.e. 1 year for Lacazette, Nketiah - 2 years for Aubameyang, Xhaka, Willock)
2) their salaries are already very high, which does affect transfer fees (esp, Auba, Laca, Xhaka - but Nketiah hasn't shown much in the PL, so who is going to pay him that salary)
3) they are probably on the decline (Again, Auba, Laca and Xhaka)

IMO, they literally have few saleable assets, whereby they could sell high, and replace at a lower cost. And need the money to rebuild a squad already in decline. And any sale means they would have to buy a replacement.

We want ESR because he has 2 years left, and his salary isn't currently that much and he is very much is one for the future - and for us, if he takes 2 years to properly develop, that's OK - we're solvent. They need Champions League next season, so cannot wait.

A lot of the "Super League" clubs are said to be in the same position - which is apparently why Messi hasn't signed a new deal at Barca - they have to shift a load of highly paid players just to pay for him. And why they are so interested in free transfers.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

My excuse is if ESR turns us down is because he’s seen Chuk and thinks he can’t compete with that talent so settles for staying with Arsenal and cries himself to sleep every night knowing he’s missed his dream move.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

I think you have this wrong.....they can't sell these players for good cash because of a combination of:

1) they don't have long left on their contracts (i.e. 1 year for Lacazette, Nketiah - 2 years for Aubameyang, Xhaka, Willock)
2) their salaries are already very high, which does affect transfer fees (esp, Auba, Laca, Xhaka - but Nketiah hasn't shown much in the PL, so who is going to pay him that salary)
3) they are probably on the decline (Again, Auba, Laca and Xhaka)

IMO, they literally have few saleable assets, whereby they could sell high, and replace at a lower cost. And need the money to rebuild a squad already in decline. And any sale means they would have to buy a replacement.

We want ESR because he has 2 years left, and his salary isn't currently that much and he is very much is one for the future - and for us, if he takes 2 years to properly develop, that's OK - we're solvent. They need Champions League next season, so cannot wait.

A lot of the "Super League" clubs are said to be in the same position - which is apparently why Messi hasn't signed a new deal at Barca - they have to shift a load of highly paid players just to pay for him. And why they are so interested in free transfers.

Right, so ESR is saleable but the rest aren't, because Emile has 2 years left on his contract, whereas Auba, Xhaka, Willock all gave 2 years left on their contract. Got it.

The wage disparity between the latter and the former is exactly why Arsenal would jump at any decent offer for Auba et al over ESR. They have no need to sell him, but do have a need to sell the higher earners to cover their debts.

And you're demonstrably wrong if you think Auba, Xhaka, Willock etc don't have people willing to buy ASAP. Roma have been in negotiations for Xhaka already, and Newcastle or similar (Wet Spam maybe) will take Willock. Auba will attract a lot of teams from the continent. Likewise Laca who may not command a huge fee but would be a big saving for Arsenal on wages.

29 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Right, so ESR is saleable but the rest aren't, because Emile has 2 years left on his contract, whereas Auba, Xhaka, Willock all gave 2 years left on their contract. Got it.

The wage disparity between the latter and the former is exactly why Arsenal would jump at any decent offer for Auba et al over ESR. They have no need to sell him, but do have a need to sell the higher earners to cover their debts.

And you're demonstrably wrong if you think Auba, Xhaka, Willock etc don't have people willing to buy ASAP. Roma have been in negotiations for Xhaka already, and Newcastle or similar (Wet Spam maybe) will take Willock. Auba will attract a lot of teams from the continent. Likewise Laca who may not command a huge fee but would be a big saving for Arsenal on wages.

I did say "For good cash". And I was talking about the players you listed. 
Arsenal need the cash to rebuild, and the players you listed are largely on high salaries, and their replacements would also need to be on similar salaries - but they can't bring in the money to be able to buy those replacements. 

For example - Xhaka is 28, international captain coming off the back of a good Euros. Arsenal wanted £22m if the press are to believed. Roma are seemingly going to pay about £13m. That is not good money - and he is apparently on about £100k a week. And he would need replacing - how they going to do that with £13m? According to some Villa fans - that wouldn't get you an El Ghazi. 

Aubamayang is 32, and is apparently on £250k a week. Who is going to buy him? And for how much. For those wages, Arsenal might not be able to give him away, as who would cover £13m a year in wages for someone who will be nearly 35 when the contract ends? Clubs all over Europe are skint because of Covid - they ain't paying those wages, let alone good money in transfer fees for someone of that age and seemingly in decline. Madrid and Barcelona seem to be shopping in the freebie aisle now.

Lacazette is 30; and apparently on £180k a week, with a year left on his contract. No-one is paying good money for him. Arsenal either lose him for nothing, or do what they did with Ozil.

Even the likes of Nketiah are on a reported £45k a week - and although very good for the England U21s, he hasn't done much to justify anyone else parting with good money on a transfer fee, on top of the wages.

Willock I can see going for decent money - £20m? But Arsenal need a lot more than that.

FFP is killing Arsenal due to player deprecation, and their income has plummeted - from Covid; from not making the Champions League, and now not even the Europa league. And they still have money to pay on old transfers.
They have 6 of their first team squad out of contract next year, and another 10 the year after. They really really need cash, and they have few assets they could sell to bridge all the issues they have. 

They could sell the likes of Saka and Tierney for massive fees - but then their team is ****.
Partey and Pepe are difficult to sell as their fees would likely be a lot less than they paid (still good, but less than what they paid), and FFP would hurt them too badly to do that.

Just my reading of the complex situation there - and why ESR is a real possibility. 

EDIT - one other thing; the whole football world can see the shit Arsenal are in - no-one is going to do them a favour. Most clubs are probably loving what we are doing with ESR.

Edited by Pez1974
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Pez1974 said:

I did say "For good cash". And I was talking about the players you listed. 
Arsenal need the cash to rebuild, and the players you listed are largely on high salaries, and their replacements would also need to be on similar salaries - but they can't bring in the money to be able to buy those replacements. 

For example - Xhaka is 28, international captain coming off the back of a good Euros. Arsenal wanted £22m if the press are to believed. Roma are seemingly going to pay about £13m. That is not good money - and he is apparently on about £100k a week. And he would need replacing - how they going to do that with £13m? According to some Villa fans - that wouldn't get you an El Ghazi. 

Aubamayang is 32, and is apparently on £250k a week. Who is going to buy him? And for how much. For those wages, Arsenal might not be able to give him away, as who would cover £13m a year in wages for someone who will be nearly 35 when the contract ends? Clubs all over Europe are skint because of Covid - they ain't paying those wages, let alone good money in transfer fees for someone of that age and seemingly in decline. Madrid and Barcelona seem to be shopping in the freebie aisle now.

Lacazette is 30; and apparently on £180k a week, with a year left on his contract. No-one is paying good money for him. Arsenal either lose him for nothing, or do what they did with Ozil.

Even the likes of Nketiah are on a reported £45k a week - and although very good for the England U21s, he hasn't done much to justify anyone else parting with good money on a transfer fee, on top of the wages.

Willock I can see going for decent money - £20m? But Arsenal need a lot more than that.

FFP is killing Arsenal due to player deprecation, and their income has plummeted - from Covid; from not making the Champions League, and now not even the Europa league. And they still have money to pay on old transfers.
They have 6 of their first team squad out of contract next year, and another 10 the year after. They really really need cash, and they have few assets they could sell to bridge all the issues they have. 

They could sell the likes of Saka and Tierney for massive fees - but then their team is ****.
Partey and Pepe are difficult to sell as their fees would likely be a lot less than they paid (still good, but less than what they paid), and FFP would hurt them too badly to do that.

Just my reading of the complex situation there - and why ESR is a real possibility. 

EDIT - one other thing; the whole football world can see the shit Arsenal are in - no-one is going to do them a favour. Most clubs are probably loving what we are doing with ESR.

I agree with most of that but I think FFP is the least of their problems. Their main problem is exactly the same as our main problem before NSWE arrived, good old fashioned bad business. 

They’ve run up big debts in the form of loans, which their owners are reluctant to pick up the tab for, and also in unpaid transfer fees. I’d say they are rapidly running out of cash and people who want to trade with them. I know a lot of transfer deals are paid over a period of time but they’ve pushed it too far. They now have players with a lower values and still owe a huge chunk of their transfer fees on. How many clubs actually want to do business with them at the moment? I don’t think their goodwill has a great deal in the credit column. 

However as you’ve highlighted their wage bill is probably the biggest problem of all. Some of those salaries are mind blowing, even if they were in the CL. They are simply unaffordable so that makes a large chunk of their assets almost impossible to sell. Unless the player is willing to take a massive wage cut, which isn’t overly likely. 

That may make ESR better to keep as he’s on low wages. Conversely it makes him a valuable asset to sell. I think the mess they are in has been  exacerbated by Covid and FFP doesn’t help but essentially they’re just not run well at all. They are there to be picked off just as we were before the NSWE revolution began. At the end of the day they’re in a big mess and sinking fast and we are the exact opposite. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Might be a bit early for him to be a regular starter but he could play a part this season. Initially off the bench I would imagine. With or without ESR. 

Think we'll use Chuck as we did with Ramsey last season. Regular sub minutes and the odd start.

Where that actually leaves Ramsey I don't know. Probably out on loan somewhere.

• Like 3

Arsenal are about to spend 50m on White and have been heavily linked to Neves for 40m. 

That’s without taking into account they’ll probably target a new right back and another attacking midfielder. They need to fund this somehow… 

No news is good news I think. No press that he’s signed a new contract at Arsenal. Radio silence from both ends after speculation of a third bid, no indication Villa have moved on to another target. Next we’ll hear is likely to be straight from the club or Percy a few hours before that. 

Not long to wait now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Arsenal are about to spend 50m on White and have been heavily linked to Neves for 40m. 

That’s without taking into account they’ll probably target a new right back and another attacking midfielder. They need to fund this somehow… 

what are their rumoured sales so far?

Torreira - 10-15m?

Xhaka - 15m?

Bellerin : 15- 20m?

so 50m there if they get the max they can?

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

No news is good news I think. No press that he’s signed a new contract at Arsenal. Radio silence from both ends after speculation of a third bid, no indication Villa have moved on to another target. Next we’ll hear is likely to be straight from the club or Percy a few hours before that. 

Not long to wait now. 

That's the crux right there isn't it. 

It was all about a verbal agreement when on holiday to be signed when he got back.

Then it was going to be signed when he got back to training on Wednesday, well. Thursday has now passed. 

Meanwhile all our kids have signed new contracts this week. 

100% something is going on. 

• Like 1