Ashley Young: Redux

ramshackler

9 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I wasn't talking about experience on the pitch. Sometimes off the pitch is just as valuable.

By all accounts, Neil Taylor was one of the most popular members of the team and quite a funny character who has been offered a coaching role when he stops playing. Same can be said for Elmo too.

They're the types of players you want around the place to guide the youngsters. Young would offer the same off the pitch advantages to us but also kind of replaces both of them on the pitch as he could fill in at both of their positions.

No negatives as far as I'm concerned.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Off the pitch though. Ashley Young has nearly won it all at club level and still going strong. Antonio Conte doesn't give trust easily

Surely we're better off bringing in experience as coaches rather than players. Do we really want a place in our squad next season taken up by a 36 year old full back?

I'd be happier with resigning Taylor and Elmo as coaches if we want experienced heads off the pitch.

I have nothing against Young specifically, just against signing players almost entirely for what they provide off the pitch.

Maybe Smith disagrees but as I mentioned before, he's only signed 1 player over the age of 28 in 2 and a half seasons with us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Surely we're better off bringing in experience as coaches rather than players. Do we really want a place in our squad next season taken up by a 36 year old full back?

I'd be happier with resigning Taylor and Elmo as coaches if we want experienced heads off the pitch.

I have nothing against Young specifically, just against signing players almost entirely for what they provide off the pitch.

Maybe Smith disagrees but as I mentioned before, he's only signed 1 player over the age of 28 in 2 and a half seasons with us.

Ashley Young still has thins to give though, he just won the league and played in Champions League 

City brought in Vieira and Sylvinho early into the new ownership so experienced heads are good 

1 minute ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Maybe we don't have an unlimited budget and still need to make a couple of big signings in say the midfield and forward positions. But we also need cover for full backs and Young would give us that whilst saving us money to spend on first team players.

Bring him in for a year as backup to Cash and Targett and by then the youngsters coming through may be closer to first team level.

He'd also offer us a winning mentality off the pitch too. Coaches can be brought in to guide young players but I do think there's value in having that in someone who still plays. Look at Kompany at Man Shitty. He was out injured half the time but offered so much off the pitch to them.

It makes sense on lots of levels for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

Have we ever resigned someone? I’m fairly certain this is just nonsense… not even sure he’d be very effective anymore either 

Milner on Loan then we signed him for around £8m, a season later.

Steve Staunton was another example which I think someone else has mentioned already.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Ashley Young still has thins to give though, he just won the league and played in Champions League 

City brought in Vieira and Sylvinho early into the new ownership so experienced heads are good 

You could be right about him still having things to give but Vieira played over 30 games all comps in the season before he retired. I'd be surprised if Young played more than 5 should he sign.

4 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Maybe we don't have an unlimited budget and still need to make a couple of big signings in say the midfield and forward positions. But we also need cover for full backs and Young would give us that whilst saving us money to spend on first team players.

Bring him in for a year as backup to Cash and Targett and by then the youngsters coming through may be closer to first team level.

He'd also offer us a winning mentality off the pitch too. Coaches can be brought in to guide young players but I do think there's value in having that in someone who still plays. Look at Kompany at Man Shitty. He was out injured half the time but offered so much off the pitch to them.

It makes sense on lots of levels for me.

You're right that on a one year deal it wouldn't be too expensive and may suit the budget but again like Vieira, Kompany played 26 games all comps in his last year at City. I really don't think Young would feature much at all.

4 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

You could be right about him still having things to give but Vieira played over 30 games all comps in the season before he retired. I'd be surprised if Young played more than 5 should he sign.

You're right that on a one year deal it wouldn't be too expensive and may suit the budget but again like Vieira, Kompany played 26 games all comps in his last year at City. I really don't think Young would feature much at all.

But Vieira was passed it more than Young is now. Young would play at least 20 games, he covers 4 positions and probably still a better sub option than Trez 

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

But Vieira was passed it more than Young is now. Young would play at least 20 games, he covers 4 positions and probably still a better sub option than Trez 

Eh, depends on how Targett and Cash fare in the injury/suspension problems. He isn't starting over either of them and I don't see much opportunity for him to sub in for them either and I'd be shocked if he gets into our wings in any capacity. At full fitness, we essentially have 2 starting wingers and 3 backups before even including Young.

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Which positions do you think Young would be making these 20 appearances in? Even if we assume he'd be 2nd choice LB and RB, and 3rd choice at LW and RW, without a season ending injury for a fullback I can't see when he'd be utilised at all.

The role he has played for Conte seems to be exclusively LWB in a 3-5-2. We don't really have a similar role I don't think.

I'm not sure he'd even be willing to sit on the bench as emergency fullback cover for a season when he could probably be starting games at RM for Burnley instead.

Edited by YouUnastanFren

36 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I wouldn't expect him to be playing every week and if we do sign him there's no way they'd be planning for him to be a first team regular. Yeah, if he was being signed to be a first team regular then I'd be worried but no way is that the case.

I just think it would be nice to have him to fill in if we have an injury crisis at some point or he could be used now and then as a sub when we're winning to run down the clock with his know-how. He'll be good to have around the squad.

Edited by Okonokos

Which positions do you think Young would be making these 20 appearances in? Even if we assume he'd be 2nd choice LB and RB, and 3rd choice at LW and RW, without a season ending injury for a fullback I can't see when he'd be utilised at all.

The role he has played for Conte seems to be exclusively LWB in a 3-5-2. We don't really have a similar role I don't think.

I'm not sure he'd even be willing to sit on the bench as emergency fullback cover for a season when he could probably be starting games at LM for Burnley instead.

Targett wont play 38 games again, I hope he does but the law of averages means he is bound to get an injury. Cash we have seen is capable of picking up cards. If we go away to City or something Young is also a better wide option defensively than Traore or El Ghazi

If we sign him and he doesnt play 20 games because Cash and Targett are available then thats fine with me. I dont understand the hate towards a back up signing which is needed in our squad

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If we sign him and he doesnt play 20 games because Cash and Targett are available then thats fine with me. I dont understand the hate towards a back up signing which is needed in our squad

It's not hate, I'd just rather the backup spots had a more long term vision of integrating young players in to the squad to grow into starters like Konsa as a back up CB originally, rather than old ones that will just leave us needing to plug the exact same gap in 12 months.

It's not hate, I'd just rather the backup spots had a more long term vision of integrating young players in to the squad to grow into starters like Konsa as a back up CB originally, rather than old ones that will just leave us needing to plug the exact same gap in 12 months.

maybe we see Kesler and Chrisene doing this from 2022 season

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Milner on Loan then we signed him for around £8m, a season later.

Steve Staunton was another example which I think someone else has mentioned already.

Sid Cowans another one as well. Twice!

• Like 1

• limpid changed the title to Ashley Young: Redux

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â