Ashley Young: Redux

ramshackler

10 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Not questioning the logic of him signing at all just all things considered seems one of the more out there / unlikely links, surely that's not a controversial opinion?

I wouldn't mind him back at the club at all. I wanted us to resign Barry and Milner in seasons past, Milner i'd still go for. Ain't up to me though.

Oh I don’t think it’s controversial, but I think it’s wrong to assume we wouldn’t be interested in an experienced player because “it doesn’t fit the model”. That’s all really. I’ve no idea if Young is somebody we are exploring. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

It really doesn’t make much sense in the context of everything we’ve been doing recruitment wise. 

I agree we need cover but he’ll want to play some games which will probably be only LC games given Targett’s injury record. There will be no benefit to the club in playing him in the LC instead of a young player. 

We need cover that has a future not a stand in emergency player. Targett will need rests occasionally and injuries can occur at anytime. I’d like to think that our recruitment team can find someone who is on the up in his career that will not only be cover but will, after time challenge Matt for his place. That should be the aim for all positions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Imagine the influence he'd have on the likes of Carney and Jacob etc. He was a star when they were just lads and he pretty much won it all since then. 

Yes, he would tell them what a great time he had after leaving us and would offer to put them in touch with his agent. :(

• Like 1

Have we ever resigned someone? I’m fairly certain this is just nonsense… not even sure he’d be very effective anymore either 

Edited by Tayls

10 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

A young squad is all very well but I think on a day to day basis it is important to have older heads in the squad as role models on and off the pitch .

At the minute despite the quality we have there isn't a lot of tangible success - trophies - to boast of. Success breeds success and having someone who has won stuff in the squad would be huge for us.

They said Cambiasso was Leicester's most important signing for that reason.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, paul514 said:

His name is Wijndal and plays for AZ in Holland.

He was dreadful the other night, him and Ake sub changed the game and not for the better

32 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Would rather have kept Elmo as a veteran than Ashley Young who's 2 years older. 

I loved him when he played for us but that's it, he should stay as a memory. 

Young is miles better than Elmo, Palace game showed it was right to get rid of him

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Since NSWE bought the club they've made over 20 signings and only one of them has been over the age of 28. That was Heaton. This doesn't fit the model as far as I can see.

But we've just lost our three most experienced players. Experience needs replacing. We can't only have young players.

• Like 3

I wouldnt mind if he came back. It isnt like having Elmo and Taylor. He is a seasoned winner who has played at the very top ever since he left Villa. He’s experienced and have a great personality and if he can rub off and build some of that winning mentality into our dressing room then im all for it. And if he did come back it might likely be on basis that they have offered some sort of coaching/staff role after he hangs up his boots. Pretty sure they offered Elmo the same thing. I still have a poster of him and Milner in our peak Nike kit on my bedroom wall so if they ever came back to Villa it will be really cool! 

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

But we've just lost our three most experienced players. Experience needs replacing. We can't only have young players.

This experience wasn't having much of an effect on the team imo. One of the 3 played zero minutes. Another played 16 minutes.

We don't need to let players in their mid 30s leave just to replace them with more players in their mid 30s imo.

I think in this instance any experience we've lost has been more than replaced by the cumulative experience the squad has gained over the past two seasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â