Ashley Young: Redux

ramshackler

Football is weird. Imagine going back to when we'd just sold him to United and telling yourself that a 36-year old Young might return to Villa a decade later after a spell at Inter Milan.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

And Barcelona are interested in him...

I think i have more money than Barcelona šŸ˜‚

Just for the record i dont plan to buy Wijndal šŸ˜›

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Football is weird. Imagine going back to when we'd just sold him to United and telling yourself that a 36-year old Young might return to Villa a decade later after a spell at Inter Milan.

Imagine going back ten years and telling yourself it'd be a full decade before Joey Barton returned toĀ court for moreĀ assault charges, after a spell as manager at twoĀ professional football clubs.

Mental.

Also, I'd take Ashely Young if it were a possibility. We could use one older head in the squad with Elmo going.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Imagine going back ten years and telling yourself it'd be a full decade before Joey Barton returned toĀ court for moreĀ assault charges, after a spell as manager at twoĀ professional football clubs.

Mental.

Also, I'd take Ashely Young if it were a possibility. We could use one older head in the squad with Elmo going.

Dont forget that Joey had a philosophical period too quoting Nietzsche šŸ˜›

4 hours ago, KMitch said:

Also, if he's expecting an emotional return, he must have forgotten all aboutĀ thatĀ diveĀ against us the following season after he switched teams...Ā  because we sure didn't!

I literally haveā€¦ canā€™t remember that atĀ all. You live by the dive, you die by the dive I suppose haha

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Astonished at the negative reaction to this. Saying he doesnā€™t fit the model doesnā€™t really mean anything, it wouldnā€™t be bizarre to imagine they want experience in the dressing room given weā€™ve lost almost all of our more experienced headsĀ over the course of 3 seasons.
Ā 

Successive managers have admired him for his leadership qualitiesĀ and he has just won a Seria A title.Ā But heā€™s not good enough for our squad because reasons.

Agreed.Ā  I'm really intrigued by this.Ā  I just went on to youtube to watch his highlights reel and he clearly played plenty and still has it (or an element of it).Ā  If he was reasonably cheap and came in on a short term deal, maybe alongside a very young left back who has strong development potential and offered cover at LW and LB and some great experience/a great role modelĀ for the dressing room/the young boys coming through I could get behind this.

I would prefer Rash .... oh leave it now!šŸ˜‰

Edited by barry'sboots

1 hour ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

And Barcelona are interested in him...

Ok? No one has brought him, I'm stating who I think we should buy not making a prediction who we will buy or who will buy the player this summer or next.

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Sky reporting this also.

Wouldn't mind it to be honest, I know everyone is eager forĀ everyĀ position to be filled ASAP with the best prospects available but if the powers that be deemed it necessary to kill two birds with one stone in Young as a stop-gap being able to replace both Elmo and Taylor, and being able to allocate funds elsewhere in the process for more pressing needs in the starting XI then why not.

It really sounds better the more you think about it.

• Like 1

Brilliant idea . As others have said we have lost 3 major influences on the youngsters and the dressing room this summer. This will cost very little in thr grand scheme of things and provide cover for 2 positions while giving Kesler the chance to mature for a year and see if he kicks on. At the very least we must be testing FFP boundaries and maybe the positions we are looking to fill elsewhere need some serious dough to fill them.Ā 

Big thumbs up from meĀ 

• Like 1

As much as I would love to see him come back and be brilliant, the reality is he isnā€™t the player he was 10 years ago. Yes it would be great to have a bit moreĀ experience in the dressing room, but that doesnā€™t necessarily mean we should be signing older players.Ā 

He struggled with the pace of the Premier League in his last few seasons at Utd, and althoughĀ he managed 30+ games in SerieĀ A last season, it is arguably a farĀ less competitive and physically demanding league.

Imagine if Young didĀ signĀ andĀ thenĀ TargettĀ picksĀ up a serious injury,Ā weā€™d be forced into changingĀ the entire system just to accommodate him because (unfortunately)Ā heĀ isnā€™t mobile enough to play anĀ attacking wing-back role anymore.

He was a fantastic player for us, no doubt, but his time has past andĀ IMO we should just let sleeping dogs lye.Ā Ā 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I'd absolutely take him on a 1 year deal as an experienced back up. Good experienced head, he's just won a Serie A title at Inter Milan. He's played for some great teams under some great managers, he knows how to win.

We're not going to pay him insane wages, we're not idiots. 36 is old but it isn't ancient, and his form hasn't fallen off a cliff because he didn't rely solely on pace or strength.

There is nothing wrong with this sort of experienced signing as long as we're not signing him up for 4 years at eye watering wages.

I don't see it a lot different to the John Terry signing which I think was absolutely a positive for the club.

Except Terry had never played for us and we were in the championship.Ā 

Never go back. Never.Ā 

2 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I don't see it a lot different to the John Terry signing which I think was absolutely a positive for the club.

Iā€™m not against it, in fact I think I like the idea. I think many of our players could learn a lot from him.

However, re Terry, he dropped down a league coming to us whereas Young will arguably have to up his game a bit (no Iā€™m not saying serie A is like the championship but maybe just not as tough as the PL).

On the whole, I think itā€™s a good idea as long as wages arenā€™t massive.

As it happens, I think heā€™ll go to a club where heā€™ll be guaranteed more playing time.

Will be very happy if we sign him, surely no one expects him to be the player he was for us.

Hes a good pro, can play a number of positions and I have no doubt he would be a good influence.

Also would free up our budget for the players we really want and we can look for a left back next season.Ā 

Not for me.Ā 

He lost all respect when he left for Yanited and then scraped the barrel when we played them.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by imavillan
Dirty cheat

Ɨ
Ɨ

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ƃ