Ashley Young: Redux

ramshackler

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

According to him, Antonio Conte is a very demanding manager, and his fitness levels are peak for it.

He is more than demanding, its ehy he wins so much and falls out with players. If you dont play his way he dumps you no matter your value or price

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He clearly more attack than defence at Inter in 352. Stats and highlights says as much. Can't see us going 352 

I think he will be left cover on a 4, he is capable defensively of playing there he did it for United and is only about 4 pr 5  games we will be under the cosh most of the season. He is more balanced than Taylor who offered nothing going forward 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not the must WOW transfer, but a sensible one. Bring in experience, decent skills and versatile in positions he can play. He can cover in many positions we are weak if an injury would happen, and he is a cheap acquisition. Thumbs up from me, even thou I am not overly excited. 

• VT Supporter
7 hours ago, QldVilla said:

My concern is we may have to play him regularly in that LB position which I don’t think he has the legs for. 

The Italian league is different it is known to lengthen players careers for a reason.

Nobody can be certain with any transfer.....look how we managed Macca's dodgy knees.

we will have to wait and see, but if NSWE can cover Ashley's wages, who are we to worry?

I see him playing sparingly.

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He clearly more attack than defence at Inter in 352. Stats and highlights says as much. Can't see us going 352 

Have you seen how high our fullbacks play/press at times? And noticed Luiz dropping between the Centre Backs ? We don’t play  rigid stay in position football 

I

Ash was always a really skinny weak player . .He will have had to work really hard to pack muscle on and gain strength. Of course he will not have the raw pace that youth brings but i think he will be alot quicker than we think he will be. He is 36 going on 21 in terms of build and that will help him next season  

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

I think left back is more his bag these days though, might be a sign that we might try 3 at the back with wing backs. He still performed at a good level over here so I think he'll have something to offer still. If we think that what is coming through from the academy needs a year or two to be fully ready to step up then this makes sense to me.

Do we even have 3 CBs? 😁

• Haha 1

To anyone concerned about us signing a "36 year old"; this is no ordinary 36 year old, as @TROsaid. This is not like the days when we bought Joe Cole etc. This is a serial winner with a top attitude and drive to keep being the best he can be. A player who has by all accounts done very well at Inter, in an Antonio Conte team. This is a coach who puts heavy emphasis on his full backs getting up and down the pitch and demands that anyone who plays for him has to be in top condition.

If you haven't already, try watching his interview on the club site and tell me if you think he's just here for one last pay day. Also look at the Inter fans reactions to him leaving online. I've seen nothing but praise from them.

Also, not every signing has to be a mega statement of intent, a la Buendia. Maybe by using Young to replace Taylor and Elmo (on less wages) will free up extra cash for us to spend big on a couple more players. Why spend £20m on a backup fullback who will have a hard time breaking past our current ones.

Sometimes age is just a number.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Sometimes age is just a number.

& sometimes that number gets a bit high... (I should know);)

image.jpeg.a87de091eb03b5fdace1f263c988492d.jpeg

Despite that, I wish Ashley well on his return, hopefully he can defy the years and show us some of what we took such pleasure in seeing from him all those years ago.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Nobody can be certain with any transfer.....look how we managed Macca's dodgy knees.

we will have to wait and see, but if NSWE can cover Ashley's wages, who are we to worry?

I see him playing sparingly.

Your right no one can know for certain, but you can minimise the risk.

I agree, he hasn’t been bought to play 10-20 games this season, but in a worst case scenario, he was required to cover Targett for 6-10 games or more, could Young handle that week in week out? I’m not so sure.

3 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I agree, he hasn’t been bought to play 10-20 games this season, but in a worst case scenario, he was required to cover Targett for 6-10 games or more, could Young handle that week in week out? I’m not so sure.

Honestly? Yeah, I’m absolutely sure he could.

8 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I have no doubt he could.

Also I think he's brought in to challenge for the starting places and wouldn't be surprised if he manages to cement it for some time next season.

• limpid changed the title to Ashley Young: Redux

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â