Jump to content

Ashley Young: Redux


ramshackler
 Share

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Christ. Oh well. Let's hope he apologises for trying to relegate us by cheating. I can't be bothered to go through all the posts to see who claimed Jack Grealish would do the exact same if/when he moves. Dumbest post I've read in a long time. I was part of a now defunct Villa forum that documented just how loathsome an individual he was at the club with various examples seen first-hand behind the scenes, but that's ancient history and easy to move on from. What isn't, is that dive when we were at our lowest ebb.

Some things are easy to forget, forgive, shrug about, some things are not. I wouldn't even call it irrational, but simply unforgivable. Before responding please ask yourself if you have your own Villa moment that still feels as painful now as whenever it happened.... this is what football does to you. If you've moved on from it, good for you. Personally, I'd hoped we'd moved on as a club from going down the old nag with massive ego on a big salary route. Doesn't deserve to wear the shirt again. Gutted to see it, and for the youth prospect he's stifling.

Wait- Are you saying that Ashley Young dives?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, useless said:

The Red Devils only paid £17m because he was in the last year of his contract, at the time that was considered a big fee for player with only one year left on their deal.

Wow! I forgot he only had one year left on his deal when he left us. How badly run were we back then? 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Funny how you don’t put yourself on the line until he’s signed. What did you win?

Oh don’t be such a sour old spoil sport.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Christ. Oh well. Let's hope he apologises for trying to relegate us by cheating. I can't be bothered to go through all the posts to see who claimed Jack Grealish would do the exact same if/when he moves. Dumbest post I've read in a long time. I was part of a now defunct Villa forum that documented just how loathsome an individual he was at the club with various examples seen first-hand behind the scenes, but that's ancient history and easy to move on from. What isn't, is that dive when we were at our lowest ebb.

Some things are easy to forget, forgive, shrug about, some things are not. I wouldn't even call it irrational, but simply unforgivable. Before responding please ask yourself if you have your own Villa moment that still feels as painful now as whenever it happened.... this is what football does to you. If you've moved on from it, good for you. Personally, I'd hoped we'd moved on as a club from going down the old nag with massive ego on a big salary route. Doesn't deserve to wear the shirt again. Gutted to see it, and for the youth prospect he's stifling.

it wasnt Paul Lambert, Randy Lerner, Tim Sherwood etc. who tried to relegate us it was an opposition player who had an impact on our 38 game season

as for the dive we were managed by McLeish and had no impact on our season

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


10 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's pretty close to the penalty Jack won against West Brom in the playoff semi-final, give or take the fish out of water act. I'm fairly confident Jack would go down the exact same way if he were playing against us, and he's a boyhood Villa fan.

Yeah, it was before the days that ‘initiating contact’ was commonplace.  I remember thinking it was the worst dive ever at the time.  Watching it back now that gets given as a pen by VAR every time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Hes signed then, oh well. Whilst I'm not that excited about it, I'm probably not as far gone as some. 

I just thought we'd moved on from ageing relics

All teams need experienced players. Before this signing our oldest players were Hourihane (30), Martinez (28), Steer (28), Mings (28). Everyone else is 27 or under. We needed that bit of extra experience on board. This is absolutely nothing like the days of Joe Cole, Keiron Richardson, Joleon Lescott and Phillippe Senderos.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yeah, it was before the days that ‘initiating contact’ was commonplace.  I remember thinking it was the worst dive ever at the time.  Watching it back now that gets given as a pen by VAR every time.

He was definitely a pioneer of the technique. Nobody did it like him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My only real concern is how this will affect team chemistry. He will have to be content warming the bench regularly if that's what is called for. Hopefully Smith doesn't try to crowbar in playing time at the expense of younger players development. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

All teams need experienced players. Before this signing our oldest players were Hourihane (30), Martinez (28), Steer (28), Mings (28). Everyone else is 27 or under. We needed that bit of extra experience on board. This is absolutely nothing like the days of Joe Cole, Keiron Richardson, Joleon Lescott and Phillippe Senderos.

You've forgot that French bloke whose name escapes me. 

Like I said, experience aside it just doesn't get me going. It is only one year though so I won't let it ruin what is a very exciting time for Villa

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Will this thread be merged with the old Ashley Young thread? I feel it needs to be so we can see 10 years later… 

Seasoned utility player with Prem experience on a free transfer. I'm assuming Terry had input on this as too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

You've forgot that French bloke whose name escapes me. 

Like I said, experience aside it just doesn't get me going. It is only one year though so I won't let it ruin what is a very exciting time for Villa

Sanson? He's 27.

Guilbert is 26.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â