Ashley Young: Redux

ramshackler

29 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Not sure if there's a direct comparison going on between Elmo and Young here. However, Young just won Serie A and played CL football, Elmo got dropped and Smith thought it was better to stick Konsa at RB than use him. 

I don't think anyone is making a direct comparison,   but  people seem to think Young is coming to be an understudy and a good influence on the youngsters ... I pointed out we used to have such a player who "arguably met the same criteria"  .

We know for fact that Elmo was a good influence on the young players , other than teaching youngsters the pitfalls of not turning off your webcam , we don't know what sort of influence Young will be

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He’s not a left back though is he? 

I know he’s not the flying winger he used to be but is he actually any good at full back? 

His defensive stats were very impressive before joining inter. And I presume part of the decrease was due to covid and another part was due to inter barely losing the ball 

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

Obviously Grealish was but he was missing for 13 games. Out of everyone else Targett was our best player. Us getting Young in as his backup instead of Taylor improves us drastically. Simple as that.

Taylor player less than 30 minutes. We conceded 2 goals in those minutes. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

We know for fact that Elmo was a good influence on the young players , other than teaching youngsters the pitfalls of not turning off your webcam , we don't know what sort of influence Young will be

FK instructor. 

• Haha 1

Oh well, it’s happening so will just have to come to terms with it.

Can’t see him being brought in as a backup/rotation fullback though, most likely to cover on the wings and to add some experience - don’t think we need any more of that but hey ho…

I would be terrified if he played in defence against a decent team, toughest league in the world n all that…

Hopefully it’s not costing us much…

• Like 1

I didnt really think this was on and just thought it was one of those many stupid rumours you hear every summer.

Looks like it is happening then! 

Guess he gives us an option as he can play 5 positions, not bad if we have an injury crisis.

Plus with it being a free transfer it means more funds for the players we are targeting for the first team improvements rather than squad fillers

A player like Young would have been invaluable I games where we seemed to lack a little experience.

I'm thinking last season against the likes of Sheff. Utd and Brighton for example.

If we get fifteen games out of him next season and he gets assists and the odd goal it's a good deal.

Again his experience around the training pitches and perhaps on free-kicks is a positive for sure.

Seems like a sound signing to me, covers a lot of positions in emergencies, is proven to have quality technique, can whip in a good cross, a good solid squad member who also knows the club well.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I didnt really think this was on and just thought it was one of those many stupid rumours you hear every summer.

Looks like it is happening then! 

Guess he gives us an option as he can play 5 positions, not bad if we have an injury crisis.

Plus with it being a free transfer it means more funds for the players we are targeting for the first team improvements rather than squad fillers

Agreed. I suppose as well as needing cover for full backs we are also without Trez for most of next season.

Makes sense if it doesnt cost anything other than wage.

For a season this could be a very astute signing. He already is familiar with the club so settling in won't be a problem. He can cover both left and right side. If Traore isn't fit for the start of the season we could theoretically play him wide right as he'll offer better defensive cover in front of Cash, and can certainly whip a ball in, has an eye for goal and can take set pieces. We could also play him at right back and sit Cash in front of him, again good cover for each other down that side. The one thing we lacked was better defensive cover for Cash on the right and for Targett on the left should Jack be out. He can cover both sides bother in defense and midfield.

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â