Ashley Young: Redux

ramshackler

18 minutes ago, useless said:

He's had one spell in his whole career playing as a full back in back four, and that was for Man Utd who could afford to have someone like him at full back knowing that they will dominate teams, we don't have that kind of luxury as we're not as good as Man Utd were when Young was playing for them.

Not yet but wait until the end of the window and we will see ;)

10 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Balls! This would be pointless doesn't improve us one bit.

While I'm an advocate of buying to replace first teamers, i dont think you can say this doesnt improve us a bit.  He's obviously an upgrade to Taylor, which is improvement. 

If he was one of our main buys or only buys yes I agree.  He doesnt seem to push our FB's one bit, which is disappointing but if that means big money can be used elsewhere then great and we can revisit these areas next close season 

• Like 1

Let’s not forget aside from the full back bit that Trezeguet got minutes for us last year on the wing. I’d take a 36-year-old Young over Trezeguet every time. Even starting Grealish-Buendia-Traore behind Watkins he’d be alongside El Ghazi as our most likely attacking sub.

If we felt we needed two attacking mids, a starter and cover, and this signing for one of those allowed us to pay more for Buendia in the other while the kids have another season developing then I think it’s smart.

16 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Balls! This would be pointless doesn't improve us one bit.

except he is better than the 2 full backs we just released

• Like 2

What was Inter offering? A six month contract and reserve team football? I am not sure why he would move from a side that has just won the scudetto in a league that is more generous to older players unless he has been clearly told that he would just be back up. He wants to keep playing that is why he left United to Inter 18 months ago.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

While I'm an advocate of buying to replace first teamers, i dont think you can say this doesnt improve us a bit.  He's obviously an upgrade to Taylor, which is improvement. 

If he was one of our main buys or only buys yes I agree.  He doesnt seem to push our FB's one bit, which is disappointing but if that means big money can be used elsewhere then great and we can revisit these areas next close season 

All I can say is Joleon Lescott!

• Haha 1

He has been in Italy for 2 seasons where he has done fairly well. But the rigors of the Premier league break aging players. This has disaster written all over it. Fortunately we aren't in a position where we have to throw him into the first team straight away.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

What was Inter offering? A six month contract and reserve team football? I am not sure why he would move from a side that has just won the scudetto in a league that is more generous to older players unless he has been clearly told that he would just be back up. He wants to keep playing that is why he left United to Inter 18 months ago.

Inter just changed manager and are financially downgrading at the moment

• Like 1

Even if we don't sign another full back, I think if Cash was to get injured we'd be more likely to play Konsa at right back than Ashley Young, maybe he'd get game time at left back if Targett was to miss games, but I think if Targett was to get a longer term injury, then more likely we'd play Hause at left back than play Young there, or Guilbert if he returns to the club.

Basically I don't think we're signing Young with the full back positions in mind at all, also have to bear in mind that full back is one of the hardest if not the hardest position to play as you get older as you have to constantly get up and down the pitch, unless you're the type of fullback that doesn't attack so can just sit back, which is something that Young obviously isn't going to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

He has been in Italy for 2 seasons where he has done fairly well. But the rigors of the Premier league break aging players. This has disaster written all over it. Fortunately we aren't in a position where we have to throw him into the first team straight away.

Thiago Silva didnt do too badly, Fernandinho also had a good season

1 minute ago, Beastmix said:

When Young left him for dead in the final seconds of the game and bopped it into the back of the net for the win. Always worth a re-watch.

Everton 2-3 Aston Villa | Young's last minute winner! | 7th December 2008 | Premier League Vault - YouTube

Great memories, which belong in the past, whose only value is look back upon fondly.

This move seems desperate, I'm genuinely concerned for the rest of the summer. 

• Haha 4

Just now, Philosopher said:

Great memories, which belong in the past, whose only value is look back upon fondly.

Give over! 😩

I'm also game for any excuse to dig this treasure out of mothballs. Truly, halcyon days of the interwebs:

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

not sure your issue...do you not see him as an upgrade on taylor? it's a free transfer when we were probably looking at having to chuck a few mil on a replacement for taylor. it potentially could mean we have enough FFP headroom to meet southampton's demands for JWP or arsenal's demands for ESR.

if anything i'm more optimistic for the rest of the summer because of this signing

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Thiago Silva didnt do too badly, Fernandinho also had a good season

Those guys one were world class. Ashley as much as I love him never was. They both play in more sedentary positions where they just need to hold their position and not cover large distances. They don't require lots of explosive bursts either.

• Thanks 1

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â