Ashley Young: Redux

ramshackler

Some people will be happy with the signing others wont but just trust Smith and the process he obviously wants him for a reason,when/if he signs get behind him and trust Smith.

36 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Personally I don't see a point to this, he may be free but his wage demands will be pretty high I presume. I also presume he would want to play at his age and would not be happy to just sit on the bench. I would have thought if experience is what we needed then a better option would have been to keep Elmo, or Neil Taylor who have been part of the club setup very recently. It doesn't fit with what has been our transfer strategy. If it happens then OK, I trust Dean and the team but I'm not sure it will happen.

Lots of presuming there mate.

• Like 1

I don't think Young would join us just to sit on the bench waiting for Targett to get injured or suspended before getting any game time, this could be his last season as a professional footballer, so whilst I'm sure he accepts he won't play every game I imagine he will be expecting to play a decent amount of minutes, more so than Taylor and Elmohamady played last season for example.

Which is why I think he's being brought in as more than just cover for the fullback positions, in fact I'm not even sure if he's being signed with fullback in mind at all, and wouldn't be surprised to see us sign another fullback.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I just don't know about this one especially if he is going to cover the full back positions in a back 4. A wing back I could potentially see/be more comfortable with but not as a more defensive full back. I remember seeing Ashley Cole a couple of times against us in the championship playing for Derby at a similar age and he was a shadow of his former self and off the pace.

Having said the above it is only a few weeks since he was playing for and wining the league with Inter so based on that you would think still has plenty to offer.

I think this one will be a wait and see but the fact that he is unlikely to be coming in to start week in week out and will be used to provide cover means it is a low risk signing. 

I’m assuming he is covering the wings rather than the fullback positions… maybe to cover for Trez’s injury. Can’t see him being effective in defence.

Just don’t see the point in this but if Dean wants him then fine, hope he can prove me wrong…

2 minutes ago, midian said:

Some people will be happy with the signing others wont but just trust Smith and the process he obviously wants him for a reason,when/if he signs get behind him and trust Smith.

Fair enough.

• VT Supporter

I have a feeling that he’s probably got one eye on coaching, like JT did. Maybe Young even saw how successful JT has been with his coaching stuff so thought I want to be part of this project. 

• Like 1

We had the youngest squad in the league last year and have already released the three oldest/most experienced players in the last few weeks.

Getting someone into the dressing room with Young’s knowledge and experience can only be a benefit, I bet Cash, Targett, El Ghazi etc are all looking forward to working with him and Grealish must have idolised him as a kid.

I know everyone got very upset with him winning a penalty against us but as far as I remember he’s always held a real affinity for Villa since he left. Remember him being present at Villa Park a few times to watch us.

• Like 2

I’m all for this. If it’s a one year deal on a free transfer it makes sense. Much needed experience in the squad and judging on his last season at Inter, he can still play a bit too. I hope that he’s still motivated to do well and whatever part he plays for us, he does it to the best of his ability. 

• Like 1

Excellent signing. He will have limited game time (none of it as a winger I suspect) but all of his contribution will come off the pitch.

Hopefully he wants and is adept at a coaching role and can maybe take Terry’s spot when he ultimately leaves.

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â