Ashley Young: Redux

ramshackler

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Jack does these all the time. It's why other fans hate him. The last one there is probably a yellow card on Clint Hill I think that is too, and the GK one is definitely a foul too.

The only one you could call a dive was the one against us, and even with that, the theatrical dive was so unnecessary. For one, he played for Manchester United. He already got the contact, going down would have been enough :lol: . Don't think he needed to sell a Manchester United penalty to a ref that hard. 

They're all dives as far as I can see. I'd say none of them are penalties. Jack's not as bad as this, although he may have had one or two questionable moments this season.

13 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I wouldn't say Milner 'ran off'.

We were becoming a shit show under Learner, he stopped the investments and also the lad wanted to win things, which was evident that wasn't going to happen at Villa. Can't really blame him.

Young and Downing did the same eventually because Learner was trying to recoup some of his cash.

James Milner played his last game for us when he’d already agreed to join Man City. It would have been understandable if he’d looked after himself and coasted through the game. Instead he was man of the match. A true pro. He also used to take his dog to the same kennels as I took mine, which is the only thing we have in common!

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

James Milner played his last game for us when he’d already agreed to join Man City. It would have been understandable if he’d looked after himself and coasted through the game. Instead he was man of the match. A true pro.

You're right Dave.

We also gave him a great standing ovation at his last home game. He gave everything for us regards performances and effort and I cannot say a bad word about him.

As you say, A true professional.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, KMitch said:

Percy has spoken, so looks like this is happening...  Ashley Young was a large part of the team which made me fall in love with Villa ~15 years ago, and even scored one of my favorite goals of all time in that epic 3-2 win against Everton in stoppage time.  I used to have a lot of respect for him as a player, but unlike Milner and Barry, the other great players who played for us and left for a bigger club in the same period, I've disliked Young ever since because of that blatant dive against us for the winning penalty the first game against us for Man United.  He's a mercenary and the only reason he's coming back to Villa Park is that we must be offering him more money than any other club at this point in his career.  I'm hoping it's just a short term 1-2 year deal and we replace him with a better fullback, ASAP...

Come on. He won endless free kicks with us doing the same thing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Maybe, but his personality clearly changed for the worse when he moved on, the diving is just another part of it… never liked the guy after he left us. The likes of Milner & even Barry displayed more class & integrity…

Anyway, it’s not the main reason I dislike the idea of signing him… 

Barry did a double page interview in the papers demanding he wanted to leave for Liverpool, when we turned down a bid. 

When did Young do anything like that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Barry did a double page interview in the papers demanding he wanted to leave for Liverpool, when we turned down a bid. 

When did Young do anything like that?

Or Milner.

• Like 1

Young was one of my favourite players when he played for us but he turns 36 next month. He'll clearly only be coming in as cover for both FB positions.

Not what I would have done personally, our approach tends to be to go for younger players with the potential to be very good which I believe is the best approach. I think Robinson at Fulham or Wijndal at AZ are younger options with the potential to make the LB position their own and wouldn't cost a great deal and both likely to move on this summer.

I guess if we look at it from a leadership point of view then Young will bring some experience. He's obviously played at 2 major tournaments for England, won a PL title, and won Serie A last season, and it seems he's still got good fitness (he started quite a few games for Inter last season). 

My concern isn't about what happened when he left, we quite clearly were a sinking ship and Lerner the tw@t decided to make the brainless decision to appoint McLeish as manager that summer. I'm more concerned about bringing in a player on probably quite big wages that doesn't have much longer left in the game, especially in an area where he could get exposed at PL level. But if that's the decision made then we'll see if it's the right one.

Personally I don't see a point to this, he may be free but his wage demands will be pretty high I presume. I also presume he would want to play at his age and would not be happy to just sit on the bench. I would have thought if experience is what we needed then a better option would have been to keep Elmo, or Neil Taylor who have been part of the club setup very recently. It doesn't fit with what has been our transfer strategy. If it happens then OK, I trust Dean and the team but I'm not sure it will happen.

• Like 1

He’s turning 36, has had Covid which has affected him and his performances for Inter & it could possibly continue to do so, he’s not good enough as a PL LB (not strong or defensively adept, can’t see him having the legs to bomb up and down the pitch and be able to defend against the wingers and WFs in this league - Serie A is sadly much inferior now) or winger, will command a significant wage (he’s not going to come for peanuts!) and signing on fee…

We don’t play with wing backs, Young has played as an attacking LWB for Inter.

He will not be a backup LB (or a very poor one if he is), if we play him it will be on the wing to cover for other players.

It makes no sense to me. I would hope we’ve moved beyond stop gap signings and are continuing with our exciting strategy & approach… building for the future and further success.

I don’t like this short term approach plus his age is very off putting… it suits someone like Burnley to target him, not us, not now…

We already have experience in the squad and we have Terry, just 4 years older, in the coaching team to provide the “winning mentality” and the inspiration for the players.

How much contribution would Young realistically make? Would be a waste imo.

He’s not the same player he was for us all those years ago, no point taking any of that into account.

Disappointed by the link in all honesty.

Not trying to change anyone’s mind and everyone is entitled to their view. Just making mine clear… 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Taylor or Young.......One can play further up the field and take free kicks, the other...............

I think that about sums it up. Who would we rather see on the bench. If we're going for a short term deal it's because we need another year to get this position sorted long term. Will be fascinated to see how he fares - I trust in Deano!

• Like 1

This is happening then.

Credit to that Tom Collomosse, don't think I've seen him break anything regarding Villa before.

Perhaps we don't feel certain targets are either available or of the right level to pay for right now.

He won't be on a huge amount if he was close to moving to Burnley.

Not a problem with him as a wingback or even a winger for the odd bit of cover.

In a back four, it'll be an interesting one to see. Playing wingback for Inter he was on the front foot for the majority of his time on the pitch. He was good at Utd as a very aggressive full back, but with the Utd bias I remember him getting away with a lot of fouls that would lead to cards for us.

I just don't know about this one especially if he is going to cover the full back positions in a back 4. A wing back I could potentially see/be more comfortable with but not as a more defensive full back. I remember seeing Ashley Cole a couple of times against us in the championship playing for Derby at a similar age and he was a shadow of his former self and off the pace.

Having said the above it is only a few weeks since he was playing for and wining the league with Inter so based on that you would think still has plenty to offer.

I think this one will be a wait and see but the fact that he is unlikely to be coming in to start week in week out and will be used to provide cover means it is a low risk signing. 

16 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

He’s turning 36, has had Covid which has affected him and his performances for Inter & it could possibly continue to do so, he’s not good enough as a PL LB (not strong or defensively adept, can’t see him having the legs to bomb up and down the pitch and be able to defend against the wingers and WFs in this league - Serie A is sadly much inferior now) or winger, will command a significant wage (he’s not going to come for peanuts!) and signing on fee…

We don’t play with wing backs, Young has played as an attacking LWB for Inter.

He will not be a backup LB (or a very poor one if he is), if we play him it will be on the wing to cover for other players.

It makes no sense to me. I would hope we’ve moved beyond stop gap signings and are continuing with our exciting strategy & approach… building for the future and further success.

I don’t like this short term approach plus his age is very off putting… it suits someone like Burnley to target him, not us, not now…

We already have experience in the squad and we have Terry, just 4 years older, in the coaching team to provide the “winning mentality” and the inspiration for the players.

How much contribution would Young realistically make? Would be a waste imo.

He’s not the same player he was for us all those years ago, no point taking any of that into account.

Disappointed by the link in all honesty.

Not trying to change anyone’s mind and everyone is entitled to their view. Just making mine clear… 

For me you've nailed the case for not signing him. For me it is a waste of a squad position and wages. Is it a deal breaker, no, if it happens it happens.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Come on. He won endless free kicks with us doing the same thing. 

And Jack does it multiple times every single week for us.

But as usual football fans find excuses when players do it for their club.

It's part of the game.

• Like 1

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â