Jump to content

Ashley Young: Redux


ramshackler
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • VT Supporter

As I said earlier in the thread the narrative out of Villa for this window is "smart". That tells me we can't throw money willy nilly nor should we. 

We don't have a bottomless pit and we need to be sustainable as a business. We need to be making healthy revenue to be competitive. Unfortunately Villa are not an attractive commercial entity. Therefore we have to be careful with what we spend and now I'd expect us to tail off in terms of transfer window purchases hence the likes of Ashley Young will be bought to compliment the squad. 

Could be a masterstroke and will be beneficial for all especially on the training field. I hope he is being bought back in a mentoring capacity too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the idea of him being brought as cover for the fullback positions is just guesswork from the papers, I wouldn't be surprised if he never plays there for us, especially not in a back four, last few seasons he's been playing as left winger for Inter Milan in a 352 system, and if he signs I imagine he will have a similar role for us when called upon, can also see him being used in central midfield at times as well when we need to keep the ball and see out a game.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An experienced player will help Villa massively.

I have no idea if he'll be starting games regularly or not, guess it depends on injuries and suspensions.

However someone with his savvy might make a difference in games we are expecting to win such as the likes of Brighton, Sheff. Utd, and Burnley. These are the games we'd really need that experience a player like Young would give us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

As I said earlier in the thread the narrative out of Villa for this window is "smart". That tells me we can't throw money willy nilly nor should we. 

We don't have a bottomless pit and we need to be sustainable as a business. We need to be making healthy revenue to be competitive. Unfortunately Villa are not an attractive commercial entity. Therefore we have to be careful with what we spend and now I'd expect us to tail off in terms of transfer window purchases hence the likes of Ashley Young will be bought to compliment the squad. 

Could be a masterstroke and will be beneficial for all especially on the training field. I hope he is being bought back in a mentoring capacity too. 

Not sure I agree with this. We have more money to throw at players than the vast majority of clubs in the PL, which is the world’s richest league.

The main reason we aren’t throwing £100m at players is any player genuinely worth £100m wouldn’t come to a non-Champions League club.

Yes we are smart and are always looking for good value in the market, but I’m not sure we’re in the same position as (eg) Spurs who need to fund transfers with revenue. We’ll be running at a loss for a while, and our owners are comfortable with that, because they can afford it.

Just my take, anyway - can’t claim detailed understanding of what’s going on behind the scenes, but given we haven’t sold anybody for big money recently, it seems to stack up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter

I’m warming to the idea. I didn’t realise how many games he played last season. Lots of positives including an older head. We have a very young squad, so one more Young won’t hurt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

As I said earlier in the thread the narrative out of Villa for this window is "smart". That tells me we can't throw money willy nilly nor should we. 

We don't have a bottomless pit and we need to be sustainable as a business. We need to be making healthy revenue to be competitive. Unfortunately Villa are not an attractive commercial entity. Therefore we have to be careful with what we spend and now I'd expect us to tail off in terms of transfer window purchases hence the likes of Ashley Young will be bought to compliment the squad. 

Could be a masterstroke and will be beneficial for all especially on the training field. I hope he is being bought back in a mentoring capacity too. 

I wouldn’t be so sure as to say we don’t have a bottomless pit…. And I’m sure our commercial revenue is going to improve year on year, especially once we are consistently competing for a top 4 spot which feels nailed on to happen with these guys in charge. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

we lost 3 of our "experienced" pros in Taylor, Elmo, and Heaton. Kalinić & Hourihane are our oldest players in the squad at 31 & 30 respectively. While obviously we're going for a younger squad, we might need to have that experienced pro in our squad. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

we lost 3 of our "experienced" pros in Taylor, Elmo, and Heaton. Kalinić & Hourihane are our oldest players in the squad at 31 & 30 respectively. While obviously we're going for a younger squad, we might need to have that experienced pro in our squad. 

Completely forgot Kalinic was still at the club! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know about others but I have found memories of Ash at Villa. He gave us 4 good years and I fully understood when he left to go to that lot up north. He knew by then that Lerner had given up and he was in his right to further his career. We got a £10 million pound profit on him as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter

The only thing I don't like is that if he's happy to be a back-up, as I read somewhere. I want him to push for a starting role. Targett, Cash, Traore  El-Ghazi and the rest need someone to breath down their neck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Christ. Not sure I can be talked into this being a good idea. First season away from the club that made his name he dived to win a penalty in front of the fans that once adored him staring relegation in the face. Didn't he refuse to sign kids' autographs any number of times too at VP? Nice fella. Slightly gutted about this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
35 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

I mean if he's free it's a good deal. 

Not necessarily. Wages could be steep, big signing-on bonus, big agent fee. Bosmans can easily end up being more expensive than a shrewd transfer for a younger player in contract elsewhere. It really all depends on output at the end of the day, doesn't it? And not wanting to get lumped with a has-been on an unnecessarily long contract where he can just phone it in for the remainder of his days and pick up a hefty paycheck.

The other element to this deal that could be quite dangerous and hasn't really been discussed is the potential impact of bringing a big time charlie into our very united and positive dressing room atmosphere. I'm not saying Ashley is problematic but he's just done several years at ManUre and then Internazionale. I'd worry it could shake things up for the worse to have this guy potentially swaggering around on 100k p/w and acting like he runs the place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

maybe we see Kesler and Chrisene doing this from 2022 season

Fair point. If this is the plan then an old Young as emergency back up for a year is fine.

He'd be the oldest player we've signed since Pires. Can only hope it goes nothing like that did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, YouUnastanFren said:

He'd be the oldest player we've signed since Pires. Can only hope it goes nothing like that did.

That's a fair comparison: past it, moody, arrogant, expensive, pointless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


23 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Christ. Not sure I can be talked into this being a good idea. First season away from the club that made his name he dived to win a penalty in front of the fans that once adored him staring relegation in the face. Didn't he refuse to sign kids' autographs any number of times too at VP? Nice fella. Slightly gutted about this.

We could probably equally find 100 positive contributions he made to the club.

As with everything, we can concoct whichever narrative we want.

 

Video looks like it was recorded on a potato though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • limpid changed the title to Ashley Young: Redux
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â